[comp.sys.3b1] gcc-cc1 dumping core and fatal signal 6

forrie@morwyn.UUCP (Forrie Aldrich) (06/16/91)

Once again, I ask if anyone out there is having this same problem with
the latest release of gcc (1.40)... whenever I go to compile something
no matter what it is I get the message:

gcc version 1.40
 /usr/local/lib/gcc-cpp -v -undef -D__GNUC__ -Dmc68k -Dunix -Dunixpc -D__mc68k__ -D__unix__ -D__unixpc__ -D__OPTIMIZE__ binmail.c /usr/tmp/cca11801.cpp
GNU CPP version 1.39
 /usr/local/lib/gcc-cc1 /usr/tmp/cca11801.cpp -quiet -dumpbase binmail.c -O -version -o /usr/tmp/cca11801.s
Program cc1 got fatal signal 6.

And when I check the version of gcc-cc1 I get this:

1.40

I can't place any calls to gcc-cc1, as it will simply dump core.  Could this be
due to a bad transfer?  Is ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE HAVING THIS PROBLEM???

--

--------------------=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--------------------
Forrest Aldrich, Jr.|   (a reliable path here someday)   |forrie@morwyn.UUCP

bruce@balilly (Bruce Lilly) (06/18/91)

In article <125@morwyn.UUCP> forrie@morwyn.UUCP (Forrie Aldrich) writes:
>Once again, I ask if anyone out there is having this same problem with
>the latest release of gcc (1.40)... whenever I go to compile something
>no matter what it is I get the message:
[ ... ]
>Program cc1 got fatal signal 6.
[ ... ]
>I can't place any calls to gcc-cc1, as it will simply dump core.  Could this be
>due to a bad transfer?  Is ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE HAVING THIS PROBLEM???

No problem here -- I got my copy via ftpmail@wrl.dec.com (binary/btoa)
from csvax.  I've recently compiled the latest IDA/UIUC/NIU sendmail
sources (several times) with it, which is a pretty severe test.

Where/how did you get your copy?

--
	Bruce Lilly		bruce%balilly@Broadcast.Sony.COM

thad@public.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun17.222609.10606@blilly.UUCP> bruce@balilly (Bruce Lilly) writes:
>In article <125@morwyn.UUCP> forrie@morwyn.UUCP (Forrie Aldrich) writes:
>[ ... ]
>>Program cc1 got fatal signal 6.
>[ ... ]
>>I can't place any calls to gcc-cc1, as it will simply dump core.
>>[...]

I used to get ``fatal signal 6'' and ``fatal signal 11'' OFTEN before upgrading
to 3.51m.  Arrgh, the frustrations of compiling large programs ... sometimes
required 15 to 20 "nohup make &" before it'd complete successfully (even with
kernel version 3.51a).

One of the release notes (either net-posted or accompanying FIXDISK 2)
mentioned a long-standing kernel bug in this regards was fixed by 3.51m.

The only gripe I have concerns 19,200 baud operation ("Oh gawd, Thad, let it
rest!" :-)

Thad Floryan [ thad@btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]