[comp.sys.3b1] A couple of facts about

afc@shibaya.lonestar.org (Augustine Cano) (06/17/91)

Has anybody noticed...

that when uucico is running the console beep (^G) becomes very loud and
distorted?

that HDB uucp doesn't care if the terminal emulator is running?  When
it's time to make a call, you will rudely be disconnected from your
async_main session without warning.  Uucp will then proceed with its
file transfer, leaving you with a message that says something like:
"session disconnected, presss enter to continue"...

--
Augustine Cano		INTERNET: afc@shibaya.lonestar.org
			UUCP:     ...!{ernest,egsner}!shibaya!afc

dt@yenta.alb.nm.us (David B. Thomas) (06/19/91)

afc@shibaya.lonestar.org (Augustine Cano) writes:

>Has anybody noticed...

>that when uucico is running the console beep (^G) becomes very loud and
>distorted?

It's not just uucico.  It also happens if someone is logged in to the port.
I suspect it happens if the port is opened at all.

In fact, I've taken to hitting backspace at the ksh prompt (viraw mode)
to deliberately cause a beep and see if anyone's on!

						little david
--
Early to rise and late to bed,
Makes a man tired, wired, and dead.

bruce@balilly (Bruce Lilly) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun17.045101.2862@shibaya.lonestar.org> afc@shibaya.lonestar.org (Augustine Cano) writes:
>Has anybody noticed...
>
>that when uucico is running the console beep (^G) becomes very loud and
>distorted?

The "beep" is normally generated by the same circuitry that generates the
tones for dialling. When the OBM is in use, you simply hear the phone line
activity (i.e. the modem carrier + data).

--
	Bruce Lilly		bruce%balilly@Broadcast.Sony.COM