[comp.sys.3b1] keyboard

spam@IASTATE.EDU (Begley Michael L) (06/20/91)

well, I seem to have lost the keyboard to my 3b1 during a recent move.
I don't know how I did it, but it's gone.  Anyway, anyone have an extra
keyboard they were willing to 'sell for a song' to a standard starving-
college-student...?

-mike begley
spam@iastate.edu

* mike begley       "I will not waste network bandwidth"            *
* spam@iastate.edu  "I will not waste network bandwidth"            *
* hzl01@iastate.edu "I will not waste network bandwidth"            *

motteler@umbc4.umbc.edu (Howard E. Motteler) (06/20/91)

Michael Begley writes:
>well, I seem to have lost the keyboard to my 3b1 during a recent move.

Some keyboards are fixable.  I've seen 2 older 7300 keyboards
that have the pc board totally wrapped in a metallic foil.  It's
fairly easy for trimmed leads to poke into this and short out.
The quick fix is to simply remove the foil.  Beware that this
may cause your machine to be no longer FCC approved, i.e., it
may radiate a bit more r.f. noise.  (Nearby shortwave receivers
and DAK breadmakers are especially sensitive to this noise.)

You can also check the circuit board for cracked solder joints;
this can be caused by any excessive force on the keyboard--
pushing, twisting, etc.  Simply resolder anything that looks
suspicious.
--
Howard E. Motteler       |  Dept. of Computer Science
motteler@umbc3.umbc.edu  |  UMBC, Catonsville, MD 21228

thad@public.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun19.160515@IASTATE.EDU> spam@IASTATE.EDU (Begley Michael L) writes:
>well, I seem to have lost the keyboard to my 3b1 during a recent move.
>I don't know how I did it, but it's gone.  Anyway, anyone have an extra
>keyboard they were willing to 'sell for a song' to a standard starving-
>college-student...?

Weird Stuff warehouse has (essentially) brand new keyboards for $10 each
last time I checked.  They can take phone orders and ship anywhere in the
world; contact them at:

	Weird Stuff Warehouse
	1190 Kern Avenue
	Sunnyvale CA  94086

	(408) 746-1100    (FAX: (408) 746-1111)

[Yes, they've moved from Milpitas CA]

Also, one member of our UNIX Users' Group mentioned during a phone conversation
last week that a colleague of his has some several hundred brand new UNIXPC
keyboards and mice ...in Sacramento CA.  "Someone" will have to pay for the
shipment, etc. of those if there's any interest in distributing them.  I'm
120% occupied with work presently and haven't ANY time to organize a group
buy (whatever), but if you want to call Manfred Frey at any of the numbers
(408) 926-9249 or (408) 926-3090 perhaps something can be arranged; I have
the impression it's "all or nothing" regarding that lot of keyboards and mice.
If you call Manfred, mention that I mentioned this; he has a UUCP account
at portal (perhaps Manfred_Frey@cup.portal.com ??) if you wish to try email.

Thad Floryan [ thad@btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]

In article <1991Jun20.035857.25926@umbc3.umbc.edu> motteler@umbc4.umbc.edu (Howard E. Motteler) writes:
>Michael Begley writes:
>>well, I seem to have lost the keyboard to my 3b1 during a recent move.
                       ^^^^

>Some keyboards are fixable.  I've seen 2 older 7300 keyboards

[ ... ] (some good advice on how to fix a keyboard)

lost.  as in gone.  without a trace (not even a circuit trace!)  I haven't
seen it since I packed up all my computers.

Oh well.  Again my plea goes out...has anyone got an extra keyboard they can
sell me...?  Then I can think about scrapping that 20meg 80ms drive, and
upgrading to 4 megs....and have a *real* machine...

thanks...
-mike begley
spam@iastate.edu