[comp.sys.amiga.reviews] REBUTTAL: Curse of the Azure Bonds with correction

honp9@menudo.uh.edu (Jason L. Tibbitts III) (04/02/91)

[Here are the collected rebuttals and a correction to the review of Curse
of the Azure Bonds which appeared recently.  My thanks to the respondents.]

From: mdcsc!gtj@uunet.UU.NET (George Jorgensen)

I was putting away my documentation of Curse of the Azure Bonds and
noticed on the box a label indicating that the game requires 1 megabyte
of memory.  In my review I stated that it would run on 512K.  I had
assumed that to be true since the documentation itself does not mention
memory.

Thanks George

--------------------

From: flank@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Brett Jacobson)

It ran fine off my GVP Series II hd on my 500 with 3 megs of ram.
Just seemed rather slow like when you were walking and stuff..

-------------------

From: dalka@ihlpf.att.com (Kenneth J Dalka)

> adventure consists of You and 5 other characters which you either create or
> carry forward from Pool of Radiance.  I would strongly suggest creating new
> characters as they seem to be stronger than characters brought forward.  As

I finished this a couple of weeks ago. I don't see how you could say this.
I had an 8th level fighter in pool with over 100,000 exp pts that I brought
forward. I don't rember exactly but I remember getting something on the order
of 15K or 25K on new characters started up. All my characters in pool were
higher level than the new chars in curse. The game also has a bit of a bug
because it let me bring an NPC that I never got rid of in pool forward.
It was nice having an extra person all the time.

--------------------

[Below is a heavily edited copy of a letter sent to me by Mr. Wayne
Wallace.  What remains is the material in the letter which is appropriate
for this newsgroup, plus some information which, while not entirely
appropriate, may nevertheless be useful for those who play these games in
this manner.  Note that some may consider what lies below to be cheating.]

From: lord_zar@ucrmath.ucr.edu (wayne wallace)

> I would strongly suggest creating new
> characters as they seem to be stronger than characters brought forward.  As

The only possible reason for new characters is to replace human fighters
from pool with paladins/rangers. Check the perfect party roster at the end
of this file.

> there also be assistance?  Finally you journey to your final battle.  Be
> prepared for it is a fierce fight and you will be lucky to win with less than
> 3 or 4 deaths.  I can guarantee you will lose utterly and completely on your
> first attempt, for you must battle and destroy Tyranthraxus and his minions.

Obviously, he never found the dust of disappearance, or foolishly wasted it.

> [Ed. Note:  Any info on running this game on expanded and accelerated
> 	systems is welcome.]

It runs fine on my A2500/20, and I heard reports pool ran on an A3000, so I
doubt curse was downgraded.

Here's my party after solving pool:  [Pool of Radiance, that is.]

8th Male Human Fighter
8th Male Human Fighter
6th Female Human Mage
6th Female Human Cleric
5th/7th/6th Male Half-Elf Cleric/Fighter/Mage
7th/6th/8th Male Elf Fighter/Mage/Thief

I could have been 7/6/9 but didn't have the patience. That would have been
max levels.

After curse, and running through the beholder battle with copied dust of
disappearance 6 or 7 times:

11th Male Human Paladin
11th Male Human Ranger
11th Female Human Mage
10th Female Human Cleric
5th/8th/8th Male Half-Elf Cleric/Fighter/Mage
7th/11th/12th Male Elf Fighter/Mage/Thief

Now then, alow me to explain my reasons for this party and the roles of each
set of high stats, ahem, characters. :-)

I used max stats, max hit points, and rerolled hit point by rebooting if it
was too low.

In pool, the human fighters were needed to get 7th level as fighter very fast,
for the extra half-attack per round of combat. the multis got their 7th level
fighters after the game was solved, via wilderness encounters (walking exp).

The human mage and cleric, because they are the only unlimited level
spellcasters.

The cleric/fighter/mage was useful for the first two. wait till i get to
my proposed secret of the silver blades party. The C/F/M isn't there cause he
hit max levels halfway thru curse.

the fighter/mage/thief is my fighter/thief, and can use all the range 0 spells
because he is up there in combat, with full armor, unlike my normal mage.
Also, while is fighter and mage levels were limited to 7th and 11th, his thief
level is unlimited. With a damage bonus, you want to guess what a x5 backstab
with a fighter's chance to hit will do to a creature? :) Btw, Thieves fight
as a fighter equal to half their level rounded down. He can hit better once
he gets 16th level thief and 18th level thief in secret of the silver blades :)

Cone of Cold and Cloudkill are good examples. Fire shield is nice, too.

Silver blades party:

(listing no levels, tho I should hit max levels in the game. there was 2 million
xp according to my friend on an ibm, enough to boost my characters all the way.)

Male Human Paladin
Male Human Ranger
Female Human Mage
Female Human Cleric
Elf Fighter/Mage/Thief
Dwarf Fighter/Thief

Starting characters in blades get 200K exp, which is what you earn if you
complete pool of radiance exactly, without extra stuff.
The dwarf will be 7/8 f/t to start, which means he gets the extra attack, and
while his fighter level is max 9, his thief level is unlimited.

Also, with two fighter/thief types, well, you know the backstab trick of
hitting a guy from one side, and hitting him on the opposite ? Well, no matter
which way he is facing, one of my thieves will get a backstab.

In fact, with a fighter thief, you can backstab three times in a row! How?
Easy:
I discovered it in curse when dealing with a single drow lord (107hp) and the
party had no dust.
My f/m/t went last in the current round, backstabbed the drow, and got to go
first in the next round, and since that was his 2-attack round as a fighter,
well, two more backstabs helped. :-)
Can we say the poor drow hit less than -10hp, and he had not been damaged yet?
Heh heh heh.

Well, that ends powergaming 101, and save me a spot in the round file for when
Secret Of The Silver Blades comes out :-)

Wayne

*    // Only /\      |Lord Zar,Commander Of All He Surveys|Stay Alert! Trust  *
*\\ //      /--\MIGA |(and hater of spaces near commas.)  |No One! Keep--AHHHH*
* \X/ Internet: lord_zar@ucrmath.ucr.edu QuantumLink & Portal: Lord_Zar       *
* I'm a Purple Hearts & Yellow Moons kinda guy; I'm vay-teeng for you, dahlink*

--
Jason L. Tibbitts III  | Moderator: comp.sys.amiga.reviews
"Blob Shop Programmers:| Send submissions to HONP9@menudo.uh.edu