[uw.chinese] Ginseng root

alopeziz@maytag.waterloo.edu (Alex Lopez-Ortiz) (02/28/91)

A friend of mine gave this ginseng root with royal jelly.
THe box says that no more than 2 cpalets a day or 4 a week
should be consumed.

Does anybody knows what exactly are the properties of
ginseng root and why there is a limit on the daily
intake recommended?

Thanks in advance

Alex

jshen@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Jun Shen) (02/28/91)

In article <1991Feb27.183133.14544@maytag.waterloo.edu> alopeziz@maytag.waterloo.edu (Alex Lopez-Ortiz) writes:

>A friend of mine gave this ginseng root with royal jelly.
>THe box says that no more than 2 cpalets a day or 4 a week
>should be consumed.
>
>Does anybody knows what exactly are the properties of
>ginseng root and why there is a limit on the daily
>intake recommended?
>

>Thanks in advance
>
>Alex

Well, I am not good on medicine, but as far as I know, ginseng is
a very strong one in Chinese medicine, and it is normally used
for old or very-illed people. Besides, it is not recommended
for kids to eat it, since it is "hot", and over-consuming it
might lead blooding in nose. But royal jelly with content of
ginseng doesn't seem that strong, many people take that on
the daily basis.

Jun