[uw.gsa] Grad House

alopeziz@maytag.uwaterloo.ca (Alex Lopez-Ortiz) (04/09/91)

                                                  Monday April 8th,1991

Open Letter to the Board of Directors

Graduate Student Association

Recently I overheard that the Management of the
Grad House said that as of May, the Grad House
will no longer be open on Sundays.

Such comment brings up several questions:

   i What is the exact current state of such
     decision.
  ii On which basis was the closure of the Grad
     House decided/proposed.
 iii Why are decisions regarding the Grad House
     made without ample consultation with the
     patrons. (After all most of other GSA
     actions are taken after polls have been
     held through the Latest)

I hereby call the Board of Directors to delay
any decision regarding the closure of the
Graduate House on Sundays until a consultation
process is held.

This process must go beyond the question:
"do you go to the GH on sundays?".  It should
question why the Management of the GH is unable
to attract to its facilities a noticeable
portion of the Grad Communiut of the UofW.
The question should be "what does the GH has
to offer to make it the place you want to go
for lunch/at the end of the day/for a drink/
or to celebrate your defence?"

                          Sincerely yours,

                          Alex Lopez-Ortiz

                          Graduate Student

--
Darren Meister                                  darren@watnow.waterloo.edu

darren@watnow.waterloo.edu (Darren Meister) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr8.173745.5599@maytag.waterloo.edu> alopeziz@maytag.uwaterloo.ca (Alex Lopez-Ortiz) writes:
>                                                  Monday April 8th,1991
>Open Letter to the Board of Directors
>Graduate Student Association
>
>Recently I overheard that the Management of the
>Grad House said that as of May, the Grad House
>will no longer be open on Sundays.
>
>Such comment brings up several questions:
>
>   i What is the exact current state of such
>     decision.
>  ii On which basis was the closure of the Grad
>     House decided/proposed.
> iii Why are decisions regarding the Grad House
>     made without ample consultation with the
>     patrons. (After all most of other GSA
>     actions are taken after polls have been
>     held through the Latest)
>

>I hereby call the Board of Directors to delay
>any decision regarding the closure of the
>Graduate House on Sundays until a consultation
>process is held.
>
>This process must go beyond the question:
>"do you go to the GH on sundays?".  It should
>question why the Management of the GH is unable
>to attract to its facilities a noticeable
>portion of the Grad Communiut of the UofW.
>The question should be "what does the GH has
>to offer to make it the place you want to go
>for lunch/at the end of the day/for a drink/
>or to celebrate your defence?"

I am speaking as a member of the GSA Board when this decision was reached
i.e. a few weeks ago. First, the Grad House will be closed Sundays only for
the months of May through August. There will be no change in the winter
months. The original motivation for the closure was a concern of the auditor
of the GSA who mentioned that a significant amount of money was being lost
on Sunday openings. The Board decided that a social service was being
provided during most of the year but that during the Summer the money could
be better spent on providing other services. I will however be happy to take
an e-mail poll and report the results to the GSA Board.

E-mail your votes for the following straw vote

"The Grad House should remain open during the summer months on Sundays
as a social service, provided that the Association can afford the cost."

State whether you agree or disagree and whether you are a GSA member, either
associate or full.

Thanks,