[can.canet.d] Low speed connections? Class B service...

mcr@Sandelman.OCUnix.On.Ca (Michael Richardson) (01/17/91)

  Has there been any developements as to whether a second class service
will ever be available?
  I'm talking about such things as dial up SLIP over V32 or equivalent
modems, or a shared time basis.

--
   :!mcr!:            |  The postmaster never | - Pay attention only
   Michael Richardson |    resolves twice.    | to _MY_ opinions. -

molnar@Bisco.CAnet.CA (Tom Molnar) (01/18/91)

In article <1991Jan17.203627.16619@Latour.Sandelman.OCUnix.On.Ca> mcr@Sandelman.OCUnix.On.Ca (Michael Richardson) writes:
#   Has there been any developements as to whether a second class service
# will ever be available?
#   I'm talking about such things as dial up SLIP over V32 or equivalent
# modems, or a shared time basis.

Could you expand on the context?  The current CA*net backbone model
encourages endusers to connect to midlevel Regional networks. The
Regional networks are tied together by the CA*net backbone.  The type
and cost of an enduser connection to a Regional network is entirely up
to the network and the customer.  I've been told that BCnet, for
example, offers a wide range of connection alternatives which includes
economical dialup SLIP connections.

The Ontario regional network does not currently offer connections of
the sort you mention, but I would be surprised if they were not under
consideration.

Regards,
Tom Molnar

mcr@Sandelman.OCUnix.On.Ca (Michael Richardson) (01/18/91)

In article <1991Jan18.041014.20159@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> molnar@Bisco.CAnet.CA (Tom Molnar) writes:
>In article <1991Jan17.203627.16619@Latour.Sandelman.OCUnix.On.Ca> mcr@Sandelman.OCUnix.On.Ca (Michael Richardson) writes:
>Could you expand on the context?  The current CA*net backbone model

  I'm sorry, I guess this should be directed at the ONet folks. I
forget that Onet != CA*net.

>to the network and the customer.  I've been told that BCnet, for
>example, offers a wide range of connection alternatives which includes
>economical dialup SLIP connections.

  I was not entirely aware of this. I was under the impression that
ONet's reticence was due to restrictions placed on it from a higher
level organsation.