[rec.guns] Dressing a .45

avf@UCSD.EDU (Andy Funk) (06/01/91)

I'm getting a Colt Combat Elite. After evaluating it's out-of-
the-box performance, handling, and looks, I may want to add some
goodies (read dollars) to it. I'm thinking along the lines of
grips, sights, trigger, mainspring housing, safety, slide stop,
magazines, and so forth.

The intended shooting use will be informal paper punching, home
defense, and perhaps some IPSC. I've already got a "shooter" .45
(Fed Ord). Now I want a pretty one. I'm more interested in
opinions regarding the "best", rather that the least expensive.

Any and all comments will be appreciated.

I. Grips

I've always liked the Pachmayrs on my other guns, and I'm sure
I'd like them on a .45, but what about the rubber Hogues?

I'm really leaning towards nice exotic wooden grips. I only know
of two makers: Kim Aherns and Aaron Hogue. Anyone seen these? Are
there other makers I haven't heard about? Where would one get a
set of horn or other exotic grips?

II. Sights

I'll probably replace the stock three dot system with and
adjustable target-style system. Any recommendations regarding the
Pachmayr adjustible rear sight? Bo-Mar? Witchita? Others?

How do I replace the front sight? Knock it out with a punch and
restake a new one? How's Millet?

III. Mainspring Housing

I'd probably like a checkered flat housing in SS to match the SS
frame of the Colt. I've never seen any anywhere. In fact, the only
aftermarket housings I've seen were Pachmayr (not counting the
surplus beaters I've seen in SG News). Does Colt offer flat
housings at all? Anyone else?

IV. Slide Release and Safety

These are quite ubiguitous, but has anyone seen any exemplary
examples? I actually prefer the stock ones to the extended ones
I'm using now (Fed Ord).

V. Trigger

I know there's a lot to this one. It may even be a religeous
issue. I want a long trigger, light in weight as I will be
working the trigger pull. Who makes primo triggers? Steel vs.
aluminum vs. nylon vs. carbon?

I bought a Wilson Combat aluminum trigger once and was quite
dissapointed. The machining was rough and the holes were
misaligned. I installed it in my ugly gun.

VI. Magazines

Ok, most any mag will work, but who makes the best? Colt? Wilson?
Pachmayr? Does anyone have any experience with the 8 round mags?
How about the 11, 15, or 20 round guys?

boyd@mailer.cc.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (06/02/91)

In article <35129@mimsy.umd.edu>, megatek!avf@UCSD.EDU (Andy Funk) writes:
#
#I'm getting a Colt Combat Elite. After evaluating it's out-of-
#the-box performance, handling, and looks, I may want to add some
#goodies (read dollars) to it. I'm thinking along the lines of
#grips, sights, trigger, mainspring housing, safety, slide stop,
#magazines, and so forth.

I just bought a SS Combat Commander.  I am doing basically the same thing.
So far, I have gotten an action job and new grips (new sights will complete
the gun for me).

#
#Any and all comments will be appreciated.
#
#I. Grips
#
#I've always liked the Pachmayrs on my other guns, and I'm sure
#I'd like them on a .45, but what about the rubber Hogues?

If you think you may ever have to conceal your gun, don't put rubber
grips on it (they hang on clothing).

#I'm really leaning towards nice exotic wooden grips. I only know
#of two makers: Kim Aherns and Aaron Hogue. Anyone seen these? Are
#there other makers I haven't heard about? Where would one get a
#set of horn or other exotic grips?

I bought Kim Aherns (smooth Mordillo).  The cost me about $40.  The
thing which distinguishes these grips is the thumb cutout to aid in operating
the mag release.  Since I have short thumbs, this was a necessity for me.
I would highly recommend these grips!

#
#II. Sights
#
#I'll probably replace the stock three dot system with and
#adjustable target-style system. Any recommendations regarding the
#Pachmayr adjustible rear sight? Bo-Mar? Witchita? Others?

Bo-Mar low mount, if you want the best.  The slide must be milled in one of
two ways.  One is just straight across, creating a flat step one the rear
of the slide.  The other is the "protected Bo-Mar".  The slide has a scoop
milled out of it at the rear (leaving protective "ears" around the base of
the sight).  The price difference between the two is staggering, but if you
want the best . . . .

#
#How do I replace the front sight? Knock it out with a punch and
#restake a new one? How's Millet?

Unless you are good with a torch, you should have this done by a gunsmith.  On
a .45, you should always have the front sight silver soldered in.  Millet
sights are well made, but are "ugly" in my opinion (a little too art deco for
my guns :-).  Your mileage may vary.

#
#III. Mainspring Housing
#
#I'd probably like a checkered flat housing in SS to match the SS
#frame of the Colt. I've never seen any anywhere. In fact, the only
#aftermarket housings I've seen were Pachmayr (not counting the
#surplus beaters I've seen in SG News). Does Colt offer flat
#housings at all? Anyone else?

After market Mainspring Housings are a dime a dozen.  I have seen nice ones
made by King's, and Wilson's.  I think both companies offer serreted or
checkered, flat or curved.  You should send off $3.75 and get a Brownell's
catalog.  It is a great one for "wishbooking", and it gives a good idea
what is on the market (one thing it is not is cheap.  Look at the pretty
pictures and order from someone else!!).  You can apply the cost of the
catalog to your first order.

#
#IV. Slide Release and Safety
#
#These are quite ubiguitous, but has anyone seen any exemplary
#examples? I actually prefer the stock ones to the extended ones
#I'm using now (Fed Ord).

The New Detonics factory has a nifty looking new design for the thumb
safety.  It looks to be a lot more comfortable and form fitting to the
thumb.  I think they sell them as an accessory.  You may wish to take a
look.

#
#V. Trigger
#
#I know there's a lot to this one. It may even be a religeous
#issue. I want a long trigger, light in weight as I will be
#working the trigger pull. Who makes primo triggers? Steel vs.
#aluminum vs. nylon vs. carbon?

Again, Brownell's.  They must have about 10 different kinds of triggers for
the .45 (each made by a different company, by the way).

#
#VI. Magazines
#
#Ok, most any mag will work, but who makes the best? Colt? Wilson?
#Pachmayr? Does anyone have any experience with the 8 round mags?
#How about the 11, 15, or 20 round guys?

I bought two good magazines and 5 "ok" ones.  The two good ones are 8 round
Wilson's.  The 5 "ok" ones are brand X from Shotgun News (but cost the same
as just one of the Wilson's).  I bought the Wilson's for carrying, the
brand X ones for practice.  So far I have not had a problem with any of the
magazines.  Not one failure to feed, period.  Granted, I have only put about
500 rounds through the gun.  I guess time will tell (although I am sure the
brand X ones will fail first, since I eject them onto the ground all the time).
I admit to being intrigued by the extra long 11 rounders, but I have not
bought one yet.
--
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "God is a comedian playing to an
          FSU Computer Science       |      audience too afraid to laugh."

charlesg@tybalt.caltech.edu (Charles Grosjean) (06/02/91)

megatek!avf@UCSD.EDU (Andy Funk) writes:

#I. Grips

#I've always liked the Pachmayrs on my other guns, and I'm sure
#I'd like them on a .45, but what about the rubber Hogues?

I've only used the Pachmayr's, but I like them a lot.  Just don't buy them from
Pachmayr since they seem to charge the most. 8)

#II. Sights

#I'll probably replace the stock three dot system with and
#adjustable target-style system. Any recommendations regarding the
#Pachmayr adjustible rear sight? Bo-Mar? Witchita? Others?

If you want a really good adjustable sight, I would go wit the Bo-Mar BMCS
sight.  The only problem is to fit it in flush with the slide requires quite
a bit of machining work which can cost one or two hundred dollars if you let
a gunsmith do it without the cost of the sight.  If you want a fixed sight,
Wilson makes several models that are easy to install (rear) and give you a
longer sight radius.  As for installing the front sight, King's sells a staking
tool with instructions for about $20.00.  Witchita sights are nice because they
can be put in the dovetail with no machining, and if you're so inclined, you
can mill the slide and have a low mount.

#III. Mainspring Housing

#I'd probably like a checkered flat housing in SS to match the SS
#frame of the Colt. I've never seen any anywhere. In fact, the only
#aftermarket housings I've seen were Pachmayr (not counting the
#surplus beaters I've seen in SG News). Does Colt offer flat
#housings at all? Anyone else?

Colt does make a flat housing, but I'm not sure if they have it in stainless or
not.  Many other companies make them including Wilson, Brown, Kings, etc.  They
are around $30 to $40.  You might also consider putting in a new beavertail
safety.  Brown makes a jig for his safety that makes installation quite a bit
easier.

#V. Trigger

#I know there's a lot to this one. It may even be a religeous
#issue. I want a long trigger, light in weight as I will be
#working the trigger pull. Who makes primo triggers? Steel vs.
#aluminum vs. nylon vs. carbon?

#I bought a Wilson Combat aluminum trigger once and was quite
#dissapointed. The machining was rough and the holes were
#misaligned. I installed it in my ugly gun.

I've never seen a really bad Wilson trigger but...  other nice triggers are
made by Kings (they have lots of colors), Videcki (used by Ed Brown), and
Chip McCormick.  CMC triggers are the titanium/carbon ultralight triggers.

#VI. Magazines

#Ok, most any mag will work, but who makes the best? Colt? Wilson?
#Pachmayr? Does anyone have any experience with the 8 round mags?
#How about the 11, 15, or 20 round guys?

My personal favorite for magazines are the Shooting Star magazines.  These are
made by Chip McCormick also.  They have the 8 round followers and are quite
reliable.  I've never tried any magazines larger than that.

Other neat things you might want to add include a full-length guide rod, better
springs, and a NM bushing.  An excellent source (IMHO) for parts is:

L. L. Baston Co.
P.O. Box 1995, Dept. 12
El Dorado, Arkansas 71731

Orders: 1-800-643-1564
Questions: (501) 863-5659

mdg@oberon.com (Mark D. Grover) (06/04/91)

In article <35129@mimsy.umd.edu>, megatek!avf@UCSD.EDU (Andy Funk) writes:

|> I'm getting a Colt Combat Elite...
|>
|> I'm really leaning towards nice exotic wooden grips. I only know
|> of two makers: Kim Aherns and Aaron Hogue. Anyone seen these? Are
|> there other makers I haven't heard about? Where would one get a
|> set of horn or other exotic grips?

Call Russwood 716-652-7131 and ask for a brochure.  He made some
beautiful grips for my Gold Cup.  The brochure has plenty of photographs.

- MDG -

--
Mark D. Grover (mdg@oberon.com)
Oberon Software Inc.; 1 Memorial Dr; Cambridge, MA 02142

jt@Sun.COM (06/05/91)

To:	  Distribution			  Date:  Tuesday, June 4, 1991
From:	  James T. McDuffie, III
Subject:  A New Colt Delta Elite 10mm, The Dream

   The following is my thoughts on how I would modify a NEW stock Colt
   Delta Elite 10mm, or any other Colt pattern automatic:

   * Gun based upon a stainless steel model.  Otherwise weapon to be
     fully re-finished in a matte (glass beaded) hard chrome.

   * Trigger job: set to 4.0 -> 4.5 lbs pull weight.  Use of Videkki
     Speed trigger optional, as standard Colt trigger is a plastic
     trigger with steel stirrup.  Chip McCormic titanium trigger a nice
     idea, but too expensive to really care about.

   * Feed ramp to be polished, barrel to be ramped and polished.  Care
     required due to full performance nature of the 10mm Auto cartridge.

   * Ejection Port to be lowered and flared, a`la my Detonics .45, but
     not quite as aggressively done.  This is more important than you
     may believe for reliability.

   * Recoil Spring Guide and Recoil Spring replaced with a full length
     guide rode (1 or 2 piece) and retaining the dual counter-wound
     recoil springs, using a set to provide around 26+lb.  force.  Wolff
     Springs has a special set for the Delta Elite, and Kings Gun Works
     has a nice special package.  Detonics no longer offers theirs,
     which is still my favorite.

   * The Browns Grip Safety is to be installed, demanding a very high
     level of precision on the fit.  I want, and will demand, that I
     obtain master metal smith craftsmanship on the fitting of this
     part.

   * Pachmayr Rubberized Flat Main Spring Housing is to be installed in
     place of the standard plastic arched version supplied with the gun.
     This to complement the rubberized wrap around grips standard on the
     Delta Elite and to improve the grip.

   * Novak Carry Sights to be installed.  I would also like to have
     these high class sights installed with the Trijicon sight inserts
     for low light situations.

   * Colt style, non-extended, ambidextrous safety.  I would prefer NOT
     to have an extended safety, mostly because in a normal carry
     situation, youre asking to have the safety knocked off.

   * Serrations cut on the front sides of the slide, matching the
     standard serrations on the back, to facilitate operation of the
     slide.

   * Extended Magazine Release by V.C.  Precision (2774 SE 84th Street,
     Portland, OR 97266, 503/771-2070)

   * 5 (minimum) Shooting Star Magazines (9 round capacity), each fitted
     with the Pachmayr rubber magazine pads.

   * I can't make up my mind on this one, but I'm leaning more and more
     to having a Brown Magazine Well fitted as well.  The real issue
     here is that this requires a quarter inch or so of the grip frame
     be milled off for the part to be installed.  Other products simply
     replace the main spring housing, which is why Im not real
     interested in them.  Mark this one OPTIONAL for now.
--
My boss will disavow any statement I make      -      thinks I talk too much!

==>  ==> // James T. McDuffie, III             ==> ==> // aeras!jt@Sun.COM
        // Manager, Benchmark & Performance           // uunet!sun!aeras!jt
       // Arix Corporation                           // (408) 432-0263 (FAX)
      // 821 Fox Lane                               // (408) 922-1879 (Voice)
     // San Jose, CA  95131                        // My opinions are my own