In article <35151@mimsy.umd.edu> clochmul@nrambr.chem.duke.edu (CHL) writes:

   From: clochmul@nrambr.chem.duke.edu (CHL)
   Newsgroups: rec.guns
   Date: 3 Jun 91 00:33:38 GMT
   Sender: magnum@mimsy.umd.edu

   Roger on watching the round trajectory on a day with lots of mirage effect.
   Next time you are at a hardball match try sitting behing the line with
   binoculars centered on a target and you will see tha hardball round enter
   your vision filed go forward and puncutre the target. Almost in slow motion.

   CHL

Watching the "trace" is SOP for coaching in High Power Rifle Team
matches.  Unertl makes a BIG spotting scope (100mm objective if memory
serves me) that lets you see the trace almost all of the time.  Most
of the teams at a big match will have one for the coach.  For watching
a rifle trace, it helps if the scope is in line with the rifle and the
target.  On a windy day at 600 to 1000 yards you can often see the
trace leave the field of vision and curve back in!

							- Dave
--

EMail: kindred@telesci.UUCP (...!princeton!pyrnj!telesci!kindred)
CI$: 72456,3226 (72456.3226@compuserve.com)

russ@unmvax.cs.unm.edu (Russ Kepler) (06/11/91)

In article <35422@mimsy.umd.edu> pyrite.telesci!kindred@rutgers.edu (David L Kindred (Dave)) writes:
#   ....  On a windy day at 600 to 1000 yards you can often see the
#trace leave the field of vision and curve back in!

Yesterday I was firing next to a fellow firing cast rounds, both of us
firing at a 100m target.  I could see the sun shining on his rounds as
they went to the target.  Got distracting after a while.

Never noticed it before.  Must be because I'd never been to the rifle
range at that time of day/year to see the sun reflect before.

--
Russ Kepler -  Basis Int'l     SNAIL:  5901 Jefferson NE, Albuquerque, NM 87109
UUCP: bbx.basis.com!russ                                    PHONE: 505-345-5232