[comp.multimedia] M/Motion?

davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) (01/22/91)

Jim> The successor to InfoWindow was a board called M/Motion.  It came out
Jim> several months after we (New Media Graphics) released our video overlay
Jim> card for PCs.  M/Motion is for MicroChannel, and costs around $2200.

Jim> We just upped the ante again with a $695 board for ISA bus machines that
Jim> includes video in a window AND audio, all onboard.  This new board has
Jim> 95% of the functionality of our VideoWindows board and IBM's M/Motion.
Jim> Basically only the special effects (wipes, dissolves, etc) were left out.

Jim> This board is designed on the PC Video chip that we designed with Chips
Jim> and Technologies.

Forgive me, but, coming from the Amiga world, I not real familiar with this
board or multimedia in the IBM arena, but my brother's been asking some
questions, so I thought I'd try to brush up.  Can you give me a rundown on the
types of applications where this board would be used and what capabilities it
would bring to those applications?
David Masterson					Consilium, Inc.
(415) 691-6311					640 Clyde Ct.
uunet!cimshop!davidm				Mtn. View, CA  94043
"If someone thinks they know what I said, then I didn't say it!"

jim@newmedia.UUCP (Jim Beveridge) (01/25/91)

In article <CIMSHOP!DAVIDM.91Jan21153746@uunet.UU.NET>, cimshop!davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) writes:

> Forgive me, but, coming from the Amiga world, I not real familiar with this
> board or multimedia in the IBM arena, but my brother's been asking some
> questions, so I thought I'd try to brush up.  Can you give me a rundown on the
> types of applications where this board would be used and what capabilities it
> would bring to those applications?

I'll start out with a quote.
The Wall Street Journal had an article on multimedia on
Wed Nov 28, 1990 (pg B4, Col 1).  They say, "Multimedia technologies
are exciting because they promise to combine the best features
of computing, television and audio.  Students of, say, U.S. history
could learn about the Vietnam War by juxtaposing the text from an
electronic book with film clips stored on a compact disc.  Music
buffs could listen to, say, the solos of jazz great Louis Armstrong
while viewing transcriptions of his performances at the same time."

Our board does the video and audio part of this.  You could have
a laserdisk full of images of Egyptian Art (Full TV color,
not 256 color 8 bit images), combine that with a database of
information about each picture, and add the capability of making
annotations.

Consider a new user of Some Spreadsheet (as in, "Gosh, that's
Some Spreadsheet!" :-) )  Most new users a very intimidated
by computers.  A person who appeared on the screen who talked
to you would be just like a TV, which everyone is familiar with.

A quick run-down:
	Computer based training
	Video teleconferencing (image if your computer _was_ the phone)
	Home video editing systems
	Military applications :-(

In other words, we are rapidly approaching a point where there
will be no difference between your computer, your stereo and
your TV.  Most of the new TV standards up for review to replace
NTSC are all digital, and this places them directly in the domain
of the computer.  Now on to virtual reality...

		Jim