[comp.multimedia] Multi-media as a field of graduate study

alioshin@unix.SRI.COM (Paul Alioshin) (02/13/91)

I am starting to contemplate the idea of going back to school
for a graduate degree. I am interested in finding out whether
there are any Universties that offer a field of study in
Multi-Media .

Any information on Multi-Media or Interface Design opportunities
would be appreciated.

Thank you

Lisa Forman

Since I am not using my account PLEASE send responses to:

forman@intellicorp.com

p_davis@epik.enet.dec.com (Peter Davis) (02/15/91)

In article <21166@unix.SRI.COM>, alioshin@unix.SRI.COM (Paul Alioshin) writes...
>I am starting to contemplate the idea of going back to school
>for a graduate degree. I am interested in finding out whether
>there are any Universties that offer a field of study in
>Multi-Media .

You should check out the Media Arts and Sciences program at MIT.  This is
essentially the academic program underlying the MIT Media Laboratory.  There are
a number of different research groups investigating various aspects of media
technology and its impact on humans.  These include groups in Speech Research,
Music and Cognition, Spatial Imaging, Electronic Publishing, Computer Graphics
and Animation, Human Interfaces, Film and Video, the Visible Language Workshop,
and others.

For more information, write to:

	Admissions Office
	The Media Laboratory
	Massachusetts Institute of Technology
	20 Ames Street
	Cambridge, MA 02139

-pd

willdye@typhoon.unl.edu (02/15/91)

p_davis@epik.enet.dec.com (Peter Davis) writes:

>In article <21166@unix.SRI.COM>, alioshin@unix.SRI.COM (Paul Alioshin) writes...
>>I am starting to contemplate the idea of going back to school
>>for a graduate degree. I am interested in finding out whether
>>there are any Universties that offer a field of study in
>>Multi-Media .

>You should check out the Media Arts and Sciences program at MIT.  This is
>essentially the academic program underlying the MIT Media Laboratory.  There are
>a number of different research groups investigating various aspects of media
>technology and its impact on humans.  These include groups in Speech Research,
>Music and Cognition, Spatial Imaging, Electronic Publishing, Computer Graphics
>and Animation, Human Interfaces, Film and Video, the Visible Language Workshop,
>and others.

>For more information, write to:

>	Admissions Office
>	The Media Laboratory
>	Massachusetts Institute of Technology
>	20 Ames Street
>	Cambridge, MA 02139

>-pd

For what it's worth....

I am currently pursuing an undergrad 'Integrated Studies' degree.  You submit a list of what you
think a degree should be (example: daycare), and if the dean approves it you'll get an
Integrated Studies degree in daycare or whatever.  My own will be Integrated Studies in
Computer-Integrated Multimedia.  Nebraska has some nice equipment, but it's spread all over
campus, so I have to take special-topics courses in various areas, ranging from the TV
broadcasting department to the Architecture deparetment.  I wouldn't recommend Nebraska
unless we get the big grant we're asking for to set up a Center for Multimedia Communication.
I graduate in mid-1992, so by then we may have it, but in the meantime I scrounge a lot for
any equipment I can get a hold of.  If you can't get in to MIT, this might be a route for you.
Not necessarily at Nebraska, but anywhere the professors and administration will help you.

					willdye@typhoon.unl.edu