[comp.multimedia] Hypermaps

lingling@wor.umd.edu (Lisa Wolfisch) (02/12/91)

I am currently enrolled in a course in which we learn about
multimedia/hypermedia applications in geography education.
A few times the professor has mentioned 'hypermaps'.  After
reading here recently several definitions of multimedia and
hypermedia, can someone give me one of hypermaps?

Thanks.

--
Lisa Wolfisch         "Life is too short to wear ugly underwear."
Laboratory for Computer Mapping and Spatial Analysis

bwdavies@rodan.acs.syr.edu (02/12/91)

--------
When I was working at a museum with an extensive photographic collection,
I started thinking about scanning the photographs into a computer and
using the images to create a 'four-dimensional' model of the city.  That
is, you'd have photographic images of the same areas taken at different
times, and try to piece them together with old maps to form a model
that you could move through geographically (3D) and chronologically (4D).

Never really got anywhere, since they didn't have the equipment, but it
would be an interesting project.  With something like this, you could
have hyper-links to textual information, too.

Sam Hill Cabal				"If there's anything insidious going
bwdavies@sunrise.bitnet			 on in the world, the media is behind
bwdavies@rodan.acs.syr.edu		 it!"	-T.J. Teru

fozzard@alumni.colorado.edu (Richard Fozzard) (02/15/91)

In article <1991Feb12.044603.17027@rodan.acs.syr.edu> bwdavies@rodan.acs.syr.edu writes:
>--------
>When I was working at a museum with an extensive photographic collection,
>I started thinking about scanning the photographs into a computer and
>using the images to create a 'four-dimensional' model of the city.  That
>is, you'd have photographic images of the same areas taken at different
>times, and try to piece them together with old maps to form a model
>that you could move through geographically (3D) and chronologically (4D).

Something almost exactly like this has been done a long time ago by the
MIT media lab (I think) - refer to the Stewart Brand book about them.
It was an interactive video "map" of Aspen, CO

Richard Fozzard					"Serendipity empowers"
Univ of Colorado/CIRES/NOAA	R/E/FS  325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80303
fozzard@boulder.colorado.edu                   (303)497-6011 or 444-3168