[comp.multimedia] Color Image Input

scottsc@microsoft.UUCP (Scott SCHULTZ) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar5.203806.4456@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> carpente@cpsin2.cps.msu.edu (David Carpenter) writes:
>I am interested in putting together a system that will be able to be used at
>car shows, boat shows on the water, portraits of people to put on T-shirts
>by the use of a THERMAL-WAX printer system.

I recently made a posting along similar lines but it never appeared locally
so I suppose our spooler ate it somehow.

My interest stems from an outfit we ran into on vacation called _Amazing
Pictures_. What they do is use a video camera to put your face into a
bitmap of someone else's body. Typically, the photos are of sexy women,
bodybuilding hunks, sports figures or movie actors. It's interesting to watch
because you see the video input realtime. That is, the digitized photo
overlays the camera video like a mask. You see the video through the "hole"
where your face is inserted. The software was also capable of zooming
(this may actually have been in the camera, but I thought I saw some
keystrokes take care of it) and tint adjustment. Once the subject's face is
positioned just right, the software freezes the subject, fills in around the
edges of the face and VOILA! Your face is on Arnold Scharzenegger's or Miss
April's body.

The picture was then printed out on a printer as a standard t-shirt type
iron-on. The picture is full-color, printed one color at a time. Presumably,
this means that the software knows how to do three-color-separations. I
thought that the printer was pretty neat; maybe it was the THERMAL-WAX printer
that David mentions above.

The employee's knew nothing about the system other than how to run it. I'm
looking for any information that folks have about what hardware and software
might be commercially available to replicate this sort of procedure. Cost is
not an issue (well, not much). I'm semi-seriously thinking about this as
an experimental business so I'll appreciate any input I can get.

I've included comp.multimedia and comp.misc as likely sources of information.
Please direct followups to comp.misc. Comp.graphics is devoted more to
technical discussions and this falls more under what I consider to be
miscellaneous. :-)