[comp.multimedia] Desktop hypertext/multimedia platforms

gasser@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Nate Gasser) (03/04/91)

Calling all hypertext/multimedia fans,

    I'm looking to create a hypertext/multimedia educational product
and I'm still at the which-platform stage.  Anyone care to comment
on the relative merits of:

HyperCard 2.0
SuperCard 1.5
Guide (Owl International)
PLUS (Spinaker)

...anything else?

Specifically, I'm looking at PLUS.  Anyone used it?  How well does
it cross from Mac to IBM?

I need heavy graphics support - how's Guide in this area?

If PLUS doesn't do it, I'm going with HyperCard, 'cause I can't stand
developing at the molasses rate SuperCard restricts you to.

Anyone with PLUS experience (good or bad), I'd appreciate a reply.

E-mail, please, to gasser@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (i.e. reply to this...)

advTHANKSance,

Nate

Larry@postgres.Berkeley.EDU (Larry Rowe) (03/05/91)

In article <38667@netnews.upenn.edu>, gasser@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Nate Gasser) writes:
> From: gasser@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Nate Gasser)
> Subject: Desktop hypertext/multimedia platforms
> Date: 4 Mar 91 15:26:40 GMT
>
>     I'm looking to create a hypertext/multimedia educational product
> and I'm still at the which-platform stage.  Anyone care to comment
> on the relative merits of:
> Nate

I don't have direct experience with PLUS, but I talked to someone
who has used it and they weren't really enthusiastic about the
product.  The biggest problem seemed to be the redraw speed for complex
graphics images composed of many overlayed images.  They do the quick
and dirty redraw (farthest-to-closest object).

Another possibility.  There is a company in Walnut Creek Calif,
named Heizer Software (I think), that sells a product that converts
Hypercard stacks to ToolBook stacks.  ToolBook runs on IBM PC's under
windows.  I don't know if they've updated the product to handle Hypercard
2.0, but I'm sure they will over time.  And, of course, you'll have to
be careful about what features you use in Hypercard, but it may provide
a more paletable solution.
	Larry Rowe

alb@cognos.UUCP (Al Belyea) (03/06/91)

In article <38667@netnews.upenn.edu> gasser@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Nate Gasser) writes:

>Calling all hypertext/multimedia fans,
>
>    I'm looking to create a hypertext/multimedia educational product
                                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^
Which educational market are you targetting? Primary? Grade? High-school?
University?

If you are targetting anything from primary to high-school levels, you may
want to consider using a Mac with HyperCard 1.25 (instead of 2.0). Why you
ask? Well, a LOT of schools also have Apple IIGS's. And Apple just released
HyperCard GS which is basically HyperCard 1.25 with full colour support and
better sound support. Contains full HyperTalk support too. Apple also
released a utility called HyperMover which will convert from Mac HC to
HCGS and vice versa. (actually its one stack on the Mac and a similar stack
on the GS).

So, by going with HyperCard, you can also very easily double the size of
your target market machines, and if you can easily convert HyperCard stacks
to an IBM-type machine, then you can triple your target market machines.

BTW, HCGS with full colour support (ie for individual objects) looks real
fine. It'll be nice when Mac HC supports that too.

--
Allan Belyea              UUCP:                          3755 Riverside Dr.
Cognos Incorporated       alb@cognos                     P.O. Box 9707

Taylor_Crandall@mindlink.UUCP (Taylor Crandall) (03/14/91)

I've just tuned in to the group.
Can I have A QUICK HIT OF CATCH-UP ON: Guide (OWL International)?
Thanks
--
TaylorCrandall@mindlink.UUCP Capilano College North Vancouver BC
INFOTECH PROGRAM

ssingh@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Sneaky Sanj) (03/15/91)

In article <38667@netnews.upenn.edu> gasser@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Nate Gasser) writes:

>Calling all hypertext/multimedia fans,
>
>    I'm looking to create a hypertext/multimedia educational product
>and I'm still at the which-platform stage.  Anyone care to comment
>on the relative merits of:

[...]
>Guide (Owl International)

>I need heavy graphics support - how's Guide in this area?

We are also looking into a multimedia based CAL system for PCs
and it would appear Guide is a good product. I haven't explored
fully its functionality, but I know of a guy at Occidental College
who has used it to develop courseware for philosophy of science.

Guide has an embedded programming language (LOGiiX), support for
full motion video, and what seems to be a strong commitment for
support from OWL. In the documentation, OWL said it would develop
applications for people on a contractual basis.

So if anyone has anything to add, please do so. I myself would like
to hear how you people have used Guide (or anything else) for
a multimedia CAL system.

Yours for more interactive learning,

Ice.

--