[comp.multimedia] VEX - help please!

nick@abblund.se (03/14/91)

Can anyone tell me the status of VEX, the proposed Video Extension to X
(X Window System)? I've heard a rumour that it was withdrawn. Is
it still alive? Are there any proposals for video with X at all?

--
Nick Hoggard                                   Phone: + 46 46 168524
Man-Machine Communication Lab                  Fax:   + 46 46 145620

guido@cwi.nl (Guido van Rossum) (03/17/91)

nick@abblund.se writes:

>Can anyone tell me the status of VEX, the proposed Video Extension to X
>(X Window System)? I've heard a rumour that it was withdrawn. Is
>it still alive? Are there any proposals for video with X at all?

Todd Brunhoff at Tektronix, the main character in the VEX development
I believe, has more or less accepted defeat, and has turned VEX into
MVEX (Minimal Video Extension for X), which is, in his own words:

>essentially VEX with some things removed:
>  - device control
>  - connectivity
>...and a few things added as explicit parts of the protocol that
>used to be controls.
>  - synchronization for RenderVideo, CaptureGraphics and StopVideo
>  - digitization control, ala hue, brightness, contrast and saturation

There is also a competing proposal by David Carver (DEC/Project Athena).

There is still a mailing list devoted to X and video (I got the above
information from it), but it is rather quiet.  I think to subscribe
you can send mail to xvideo-request@expo.lcs.mit.edu.

--Guido van Rossum, CWI, Amsterdam <guido@cwi.nl>
"This is an ex-parrot"