[comp.multimedia] Slides to Video

tn0o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Thomas Edgar Nichols) (03/18/91)

A Laser Disc I'm working on is going to include many (~3000) still
images from slides.  We have been using a slide-to-video unit on loan
from the mnfg and they want it back now.  We would buy it (I can't
remember the name of it just now) but it only only has 320 lines of
horizontal resolution. For a LD, and for potential use with a S-VHS or
3/4" video system, 320 lines would be a serious limiting factor in final
quality.

Question: Has anyone out there converted slides to video tape themselves
(i.e. not sent it to a production house or service bureau to be done).
What sort of equipment did you use?  How long did it take to do X-number
of slides?  How was the quality (problems w/ contrast, etc)?

Thanks in advance.
-Tom Nichols
tn0o@andrew.cmu.edu

HF.JGA@forsythe.stanford.edu (John Avilla) (03/19/91)

In article <Ubsz3qG00WBKA1=6Ns@andrew.cmu.edu>,
tn0o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Thomas Edgar Nichols) writes:

>A Laser Disc I'm working on is going to include many (~3000) still
>images from slides.  We have been using a slide-to-video unit on loan
>from the mnfg and they want it back now.  We would buy it (I can't
>remember the name of it just now) but it only only has 320 lines of
>horizontal resolution. For a LD, and for potential use with a S-VHS or
>3/4" video system, 320 lines would be a serious limiting factor in final
>quality.
>
>Question: Has anyone out there converted slides to video tape themselves
>(i.e. not sent it to a production house or service bureau to be done).
>What sort of equipment did you use?  How long did it take to do X-number
>of slides?  How was the quality (problems w/ contrast, etc)?

A simple and inexpensive way to do this is to shoot the video
directly into a slide projector with its lens removed.  WARNING,
your projector must have a dissolve control (sometimes called a fade
control). You will find that projectors used for "multi projector
shows" have this capability.
Shooting the slides this way will cost minimal compared to
"professoinally" doing it.
This is a great trick that I learned from one of the other nets, I
can't remember which.
Good Luck!