[comp.multimedia] Survey for m-media workers

Rick_McCormack@mindlink.UUCP (Rick McCormack) (03/14/91)

I am trying to determine how multi-media people got work in
this field.  If you can give brief answers to the following
questions, I will summarize to this group shortly.  Thanks.

1) Company size: (a) <20 employees  (b) <200 employees
                 (C) really big

2) People directly involved in producing multi-media
     (a) <5    (b) <20   (c) >20

3) This job is (a) something that grew from previous duties
               (b) The result of planned expansion into m-m
               (c) an ad for multi-media personnel

4) Multi-media is (a) what we sell  (b) use in-house
                  (c) both of the above

5) We are considered to be part of the __________
department.

6) We have (a) hired  (b) laid off people in the last 3
months.

7) Generally, I feel that other departments (a) use
   (b) ignore what we are doing.

8) We (a) are ready  (b) have already  (c) have no plans
   to produce CD-ROMS and/or LaserDisks.

9) Main product/service of our company:__________________

10) [Optional]
    Name:___________________________________
    Title:__________________________________
    Years in M-m:___________________________
    Previous work:__________________________
    Company:________________________________

    [Anything else you may think relevant.]

I will co-relate some of the answers and any comments you
wish to have included, and post a report to this group
before the end of March.

F.Y.I.  I was, in a previous existence, a technical
co-ordinator for large scale multi-media presentations at
conventions, etc.  (You know, 29 slide projectors, 2 movies
and video with mega-sound systems.)  I went back to school
for a diploma in Applied Information Technology, and had the
grandiose hope that companies here in Vancouver, BC, Canada
(soon to be an international banking center for the Pacific
Rim - everyone sez so!) might welcome some home-grown talent
in their efforts to improve communications at the strategic
planning level.  I ain't holding my breath, and decided to
see how others got into the jobs I can't seem to find here.

My research has indicated that others are also trying to get
where you respondents already are, so I thought I'd do a
little basic (primary) research, and post the results.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to the survey.

| Rick McCormack |  IMAGISTICS BUSINESS THEATRE TECHNOLOGY    |
| Vancouver,  BC |  Information transfer - with a purpose.    |
|     CANADA     |  ________________________________________  |
|  AOL:  Rique   |  INTERACTIVE  COMPREHENSIVE  ENLIGHTENING  |
|________________|____________________________________________|

sam@esl.com (Samuel S. Hahn) (04/02/91)

Date: Mon, 1 Apr 91 13:21:35 PST
From: Mailer-Daemon@esl (Mail Delivery Subsystem)
Subject: Returned mail: Host unknown
To: <sam@mozart>

[Rick -- Couldn't reach "mindlink", so I posted this on the net... -- Sam]

Hello.  Here's something along the lines of what you were asking for.
I'd be very interested in your summary. -- Sam Hahn (sam@esl.com)

1) (C) really big

2) (b) <20

3) (b) The result of planned expansion into m-m

4) (c) both of the above

5) Advanced Technology

6) (a) hired

7) (b) ignore what we are doing.

8) (a) are ready

9) Decision aids / analytical tools for large data volumes (many sources and media), both automated and interactive

10) Name:           Samuel Hahn
    Title:          Department Mgr, Program Mgr
    Years in M-m:   6+
    Previous work:  Databases / Artificial Intelligence
    Company:        ESL (TRW)

What is ESL?

ESL is a company of approximately 2000 in Sunnyvale, CA.  (The name
used to mean Electromagnetic Systems Laboratory.)  In ESL's 26 years
of business, we have established ourselves as excellent engineers of
high-performance, high-technology, special-purpose, communications
systems, signal processing systems, data reduction systems, and
intelligence handling systems.  We process all signals in the
spectrum, and make sense of most of it.  We work primarily for the US
Government.

Who am I?  Who are we?

I am Sam Hahn, a department manager and program manager in one of the
ESL ATSD laboratories, the Advanced Intelligence Applications
Technology (AIAT) laboratory.  This laboratory consists of
approximately two dozen staff (growing monthly) whose history since
1982 has been development and delivery of successful
expert-system-based, advanced user-interface, distributed,
multi-media, multi-source, and database oriented intelligence analysis
workstations.  We have grown from a handful of people in 1982 to teams
ranging in size from two to two dozen.

Our mix of expertise includes, and is certainly not limited to: Lisp,
C, (Transact-)SQL, NeWS, X, OpenWindows, Unix, Mach, NextStep,
PostScript, C++, Sun, NeXT, Symbolics, Xerox, Pixar, Vitec, Parallax
Graphics, CLOS, PCL, Objective-C, KEE, ART, Mercury, natural language
processing, free-text database, multi-media databases, geographic
information systems, image processing, distributed computing, ... (and
others which I will be embarrassed later I didn't cite).  In specific,
there are two subsystems to my current project which are implemented
in Lisp.  One is a document analysis tool, the other a smart
database-cognizant "stuffer" tool. Other components to the total
system are implemented in C and Objective-C,