[comp.multimedia] hiding storage latency in multimedia presentations

staehli@ogicse.cse.ogi.edu (Richard Staehli) (05/23/91)

Can anyone give me some references for multimedia presentation systems
which hide the latency of storage accesses?  What I'm interested in are
systems which allow synchronization between separate data presentation
events while tolerating a wide latitude of access latencies.  For example,
if one stream of video data is to begin its presentation simultaneously
with the end of another, is there a system which anticipates the access
latency for the second video to allow precise synchronization?

I have already completed an initial investigation into this problem and
intend to pursue the development of storage server which prefetches data
according to a presentation script.  The intent is to extend location
transparency to latency transparency for real-time data access.  I have
not found any systems which address this problem for the general case
where data streams may be stored in slow-access devices such as optical
disk juke boxes or distributed over a network.

What I can share is an extensive bibliography (~300 refs.) on multimedia
computing, and perhaps a summary of the responses that I receive.

Richard Staehli
Oregon Graduate Institute
19600 N.W. von Neumann Drive, Beaverton, OR 97006-1999
internet: staehli@cse.ogi.edu    phone: (503) 690-1009

rdthomps@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Robert D. Thompson) (05/23/91)

In article <21771@ogicse.ogi.edu> staehli@ogicse.cse.ogi.edu (Richard Staehli) writes:
>Can anyone give me some references for multimedia presentation systems
>which hide the latency of storage accesses?  What I'm interested in are
	[stuff deleted...]
>I have already completed an initial investigation into this problem and
>intend to pursue the development of storage server which prefetches data
>according to a presentation script.  The intent is to extend location
>transparency to latency transparency for real-time data access.  I have
>not found any systems which address this problem for the general case
	[more stuff deleted...]

	This is indeed a very exciting subject (in my opinion)!

	I would also appreciate any information, bibliographies, etc...
	on the issue of real-time queueing of large binary chunks
	of compressed data (i.e. video, sound, mm...) over a
	distributed network.

	Thanks much...Regards |(8>
---
Robert