[comp.multimedia] digitizing 35mm slides

ATDYW@ASUACAD.BITNET (05/29/91)

Does anyone out there know a good way to digitize 35mm slides OTHER than
taking video camera shots of the displayed slides and digitizing the vcr
output? Any help will be appreciated <DW>.

davis@3d.enet.dec.com (Peter Davis) (05/29/91)

In article <91148.144117ATDYW@ASUACAD.BITNET>, ATDYW@ASUACAD.BITNET writes...
>Does anyone out there know a good way to digitize 35mm slides OTHER than
>taking video camera shots of the displayed slides and digitizing the vcr
>output? Any help will be appreciated <DW>.

Yes.  There are digitizers designed specifically for 35mm slides.  Nikon makes
one.  There are probably others as well.

Try contacting Nikon for more information.  They probably have an 800 number.

-pd

siri@otc.otca.oz (Siri Hewa) (05/30/91)

In article <91148.144117ATDYW@ASUACAD.BITNET> ATDYW@ASUACAD.BITNET writes:
>Does anyone out there know a good way to digitize 35mm slides OTHER than
>taking video camera shots of the displayed slides and digitizing the vcr
>output? Any help will be appreciated <DW>.

This method I explain is the ultimate way. And can be expensive. Best thing to
do is to go to the Post Production Facility House.

You can put your through the Telecine, and that out put put through the
D1, so you get Y,U,V, digital output, or put through D2, which is composite
Digital Output.

Siri Hewa.
|||| OTC ||
R&D
Australia.

hamilton@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Doug Hamilton) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May29.153448.21156@engage.pko.dec.com>, davis@3d.enet.dec.com (Peter Davis) writes...

>In article <91148.144117ATDYW@ASUACAD.BITNET>, ATDYW@ASUACAD.BITNET writes...
>>Does anyone out there know a good way to digitize 35mm slides OTHER than
>>taking video camera shots of the displayed slides and digitizing the vcr
>>output? Any help will be appreciated <DW>.
>
>Yes.  There are digitizers designed specifically for 35mm slides.  Nikon makes
>one.  There are probably others as well.
>
>Try contacting Nikon for more information.  They probably have an 800 number.
>
>-pd

I recently had a demo of the Nikon film scanner and was VERY impressed.
One of the neat features was a film holder so you can scan a roll of
UNMOUNTED slides or negatives. Unfortunately, it lists for nearly
$10,000 (you do get PhotoShop for free, however). The other comparable
product is the BarneyScan, which is also very good. But people who have
used both seem to prefer the Nikon. Just does 35mm, however, so you have
to get the Barneyscan if you need to scan larger transparencies.

I don't have a national number for Nikon, but the central regional sales
manager (Electronic Imaging Department) is Roy Edenson in Dallas. Phone
(214) 644-4512.

dh

   ...........hamilton@VMS.MACC.WISC.EDU   or   hamilton@WISCMACC
    ............Douglas Hamilton, Instructional Technology Support
     ............Academic Computing Center, University of Wisconsin
      ....................1210 West Dayton, Madison, Wisconsin 53706
       ..............................(608) 262-5667 or (608) 262-0626

drudetb@infonode.ingr.com (Ted B. Drude) (05/31/91)

In article <91148.144117ATDYW@ASUACAD.BITNET> ATDYW@ASUACAD.BITNET writes:

>Does anyone out there know a good way to digitize 35mm slides OTHER than
>taking video camera shots of the displayed slides and digitizing the vcr
>output? Any help will be appreciated <DW>.

If you have access to a color flatbed scanner that doesn't take
slides, (like some of the cheaper Sharp models, I think) you can always
get a an enlarged color print made of the slide and scan it.  Get a
pro-quality color lab to make the print for you. It shouldn't cost more
than $20 for an 8.5x11. (Kodak makes reversal color print paper
especially for printing slides.)

Unless you have a really good video camera and excellent digitizing
hardware,  scanning a transparency or print should produce a shaper image
(IMHO).

- Ted Drude (drudetb@ingr)