[comp.multimedia] Dithering..

arctngnt@amiganet.chi.il.us (Bowie J Poag) (05/31/91)

Dithering is how to make a shade of color from two or more seperate colors.
For instance, pick up a newspaper.. Youll see that greys are NOT infaCt grey
ink.. But rather black and white dots. This is an example of pretty simple
dithering..

You can simulate green by putting a yellow pixel, and a blue pixel next to
eachother... get up to your TV sometime, and look real close at it. All the
colors you see are represented by differing amounts of red, green abd blue
little lights. Every color in the spectrum is composed of differing amounts of
red green and blue..

For instance, with a machine like an Amiga. You have 4096 basic shades.. You
can combine a combination of any two of those colors and create another, so in
effect, you can simulate 16.7 million some odd colors.

Its all an optical illusion, really. Dithering is just the practice of
creating new shades from patterns of different colored pixels.

Arc
(Now, Whats quantifying? Even I dont know that one..Does it have room for
Jell-O?)

bmay@chips.com (Brad May) (06/05/91)

In article <arctngnt.1470@amiganet.chi.il.us> arctngnt@amiganet.chi.il.us (Bowie J Poag) writes:
->
->Dithering is how to make a shade of color from two or more seperate colors.
->For instance, pick up a newspaper.. Youll see that greys are NOT infaCt grey
->ink.. But rather black and white dots. This is an example of pretty simple
->dithering..
->
->You can simulate green by putting a yellow pixel, and a blue pixel next to
->eachother... get up to your TV sometime, and look real close at it. All the
->colors you see are represented by differing amounts of red, green abd blue
->little lights. Every color in the spectrum is composed of differing amounts of
->red green and blue..
->
What you see on your newspaper is in fact halftoning, where gray shades are
made up of black dots of varying size, aranged in a regular pattern called a
"screen".  TVs produce colors by a similar technique, modulating the luminosity
of the RBG phoshor dots.  Neither of these is an example of dithering.
[...]
->
->Arc
->(Now, Whats quantifying? Even I dont know that one..Does it have room for
->Jell-O?)

arctngnt@amiganet.chi.il.us (Bowie J Poag) (06/06/91)

You wally:

My dad works in newspapers. Newspaper print is a VERY good example of
dithering. Why pictures in newspapers appear to be grey, yes, is infact the
size of the BLACK dots next to WHITE spaces.

If the balance of black and white is equal, its normal grey.. If there is more
black than white in a given area, itll be a DARKER grey. Duh.

Television is a VERY good example of dithering as well.. If your TV screen
was white, and you moved up real close to the TV screen, youde see a bunch of
red green and blue dots..

If youre TV screen was an aqua color. Youde lean up to the screen and see only
blue and green dots.

Think, bud. THINK.
Arc

tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) (06/06/91)

>Newspaper print is a VERY good example of
>dithering. Why pictures in newspapers appear to be grey, yes, is infact the
>size of the BLACK dots next to WHITE spaces.

Newspaper is halftoning which I would guess is a specialized case of
dithering.

>Television is a VERY good example of dithering as well.. If your TV screen
>was white, and you moved up real close to the TV screen, youde see a bunch of
>red green and blue dots..

Hmmm I'm not so sure this is a VERY good example of dithering. The spots
on a TV are analog and you are varying the intensity of the spots only
where most dithering is normally a variation of spot size and angle but
not the intensity.

When you simulate 16 million colors on an Amiga screen with the 4000 colours
available, you dither the colours you have to simulate more colours. Is this
then dithering the dithering?

>If youre TV screen was an aqua color. Youde lean up to the screen and see only
>blue and green dots.
>

>Think, bud. THINK.
>Arc

braudes@seas.gwu.edu (Bob Braudes) (06/07/91)

There seems to be some confusion as to the difference between dithering and
halftoning.  Newspapers are halftoned, with different sized dots, while TV is
dithered.  In dithering, a pattern of pixels is used to simulate a color by
having the visual system combine (usually different) individual colors into a
color not readily obtainable.

I'm rather new to this newsgroup, and have a question.  Are personal attacks
and smug remarks commonplace, or is this a place to try to work together to
advance the state of multimedia systems?  I hope that it is the latter, because
there is a real need for such a group.  If it is the former, then we are wasting
a lot of bandwidth for hot air.

ben@val.com (Ben Thornton) (06/07/91)

arctngnt@amiganet.chi.il.us (Bowie J Poag) writes:

>My dad works in newspapers. Newspaper print is a VERY good example of
>dithering. Why pictures in newspapers appear to be grey, yes, is infact the
>size of the BLACK dots next to WHITE spaces.

>If the balance of black and white is equal, its normal grey.. If there is more
>black than white in a given area, itll be a DARKER grey. Duh.

True enough but this is not dithering.  This is half-toning which is not
same at all.

--
Ben Thornton             packet:  wd5hls@wd5hls.ampr.org
Video Associates       Internet:  ben@val.com