[comp.multimedia] Video Toaster and TBC question

peters@mips2.ma30.bull.com (Dan Peters) (06/04/91)

Hi,
	I am new to this newsgroup (and multimedia) so could some kind
patient soul answer what could be a simple question?

	I saw Computer Chronicals on a PBS station demonstrate a
toaster for an Amiga.  In my further reading I see that a 'TBC (time
base converter?)' is also needed(?).
	I have also heard of a 'Genlock' (for real-time computer to
video tape?) and a 'Frame Grabber' (for computer to video tape stills?).

	I think the TV demo explained what a toaster is used for.
	What is the TBC for?
	Where does a genlock fit in here?

	Any explanations, any at all (simple or detailed) is appreciated.
	Where can I learn more?

	ALSO, if this is the wrong newsgroup, a pointer to the right
	place would be helpful too.

Thanks in advance,

	Dan
--

== Dan Peters		 	Bull HN Information Systems Inc.
== (508) 294-3325 (294-3020)	300 Concord Road 	MS 826a

tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) (06/05/91)

The TBC is a Time Base Corrector which makes sure you have very stable
correct synch signals for the video. Tape decks have variations due to
mechanical stuff. The TBC eliminates this.

Genlock allows you to make sure that two or more seperate video signals are
exactly locked in synch. Not only must the signals be the exact same
frames/second rate, but they must be in "phase" in that they
must start at exactly the same time for each frame so that when you fade from
one to the other, you are fading into a picture that is in the same
"vertical hold" position as the first signal.

arctngnt@amiganet.chi.il.us (Bowie J Poag) (06/06/91)

>Hi,
>	I am new to this newsgroup (and multimedia) so could some kind
>patient soul answer what could be a simple question?
>
>	I saw Computer Chronicals on a PBS station demonstrate a
>toaster for an Amiga.  In my further reading I see that a 'TBC (time
>base converter?)' is also needed(?).
>	I have also heard of a 'Genlock' (for real-time computer to
>video tape?) and a 'Frame Grabber' (for computer to video tape stills?).
>
>	I think the TV demo explained what a toaster is used for.
>	What is the TBC for?
>	Where does a genlock fit in here?
>
>	Any explanations, any at all (simple or detailed) is appreciated.
>	Where can I learn more?
>
>	ALSO, if this is the wrong newsgroup, a pointer to the right
>	place would be helpful too.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>	Dan
>--

Might be to your benefit to hop over to the comp.sys.amiga.multimedia section,
and have at it there.

First off, Newtek's Video Toaster dosent need a TBC (Time Base Corrector)
unless youre going to be manipulating multiple video sources simultaneously..
And if anyone in the video instustry is going to want to do that, usually,
they already have a TBC, or their budget will be big enough to get one.

A genlock is just a little device that fits on your paticular computer's video
output source, that combines that computers signal with ANOTHER video signal,
and then outputs it as one signal.

For instance. I can have RoboCOp II playing on my VCR... I can run a line
from the VCR into the Genlock. From there,I can then input my COMPUTER's video
signal into the Genlock too..Say I load up a paint program on the computer, I
can then progress to paint a mustache on Robocop.

The genlock does NOT convert a video signal to computer graphics. It merely
mixes both signals into one, so it can be usually dumped to another VCR or a
monitor. Theyre fun little devices.. Genlocks for the IBM and Mac tend to be
rather costly. On the Amiga, ive seen them run as low as $90..

There is a genlock on the Toaster....Along with about 30 different other
things.

Like I said, for more info on the Toaster (I dont even own one, but im fairly
literate in discussing it, and Ive sat down and played with the software for a
while, too) check out comp.sys.amiga.multimedia....Heh, the Amiga Multimedia
newsgroup is running faster than the normal comp.sys.multimedia newsgroup!

Tells you whos in charge of Multimedia.

Arctangent

UUCP: I forgot!
BIX : Im not there..
Compuserve : Im not there either..
Prodigy : Im not here..

andrew@calvin.doc.ca (Andrew Patrick) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun4.172727.1889@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) writes:
>The TBC is a Time Base Corrector which makes sure you have very stable
>correct synch signals for the video. Tape decks have variations due to
>mechanical stuff. The TBC eliminates this.

If I am not mistaken, a tape deck requires the feature of an "external
sync in" in order to work with a TBC.  Most of your home tape
recorders, and the cheap ones at the video stores, do not have this
feature.  Some of the newest models of high-end decks have built-in
TBC's, but they are expensive.

--
Andrew Patrick, Ph.D.       Department of Communications, Ottawa, CANADA
andrew@calvin.doc.CA

chrisl@cbmvax.commodore.com (Christian Ludwig - CATS) (06/06/91)

(Andrew Patrick) writes:

>If I am not mistaken, a tape deck requires the feature of an "external
>sync in" in order to work with a TBC.  Most of your home tape
>recorders, and the cheap ones at the video stores, do not have this
>feature.  Some of the newest models of high-end decks have built-in
>TBC's, but they are expensive.

Partially true.  To be able to do Toaster Effects (transitions) you
need 2 synchronized video signals.  If you have just 1 consumer video
player hooked up to a TBC, then you'll only be able to do effects
between that player and one of the toasters built-in signals (like
the still store or a background color.)

Having just one TBC and a consumer player is not useless though,
because one of the neatest things you can do with the Toaster is
use it as a still store (and video image painter.)

If you want to do Toaster transitions between two tape sources or 1 tape
and a camera, you really only need 1 player that has a SYNC IN.  You
would sync this player to the time-base corrected output of the player
without the SYNC IN connector.

If you're going to invest in a Toaster and you only have 2 consumer
video decks, you can still get away with it by using 2 time base
correctors, one of which will take external sync.  (Of course both TBCs
will need to be of the "infinite window" variety. Nearly all are today.)

  My opinions and comments may not reflect the position of my employer.
       (Of course that depends on which position they're in.)
     ///
    ///
\\\///
 \XX/

mann@intacc.uucp (Jeff Mann) (06/11/91)

In article <22202@cbmvax.commodore.com> chrisl@cbmvax.commodore.com (Christian Ludwig - CATS) writes:
>(Andrew Patrick) writes:
>>
>>If I am not mistaken, a tape deck requires the feature of an "external
>>sync in" in order to work with a TBC.  Most of your home tape
>>recorders, and the cheap ones at the video stores, do not have this
>>feature.  Some of the newest models of high-end decks have built-in
>>TBC's, but they are expensive.

Sorry, you are mistaken. If the TBC has "infinite window" correction,
(you can tell this by whether the TBC can do a freeze frame), then a
sync input on the VCR is not necessary, and any video source (in fact
any signal at all) can be fed into the TBC and made into a clean signal.

>If you want to do Toaster transitions between two tape sources or 1 tape
>and a camera, you really only need 1 player that has a SYNC IN.  You
>would sync this player to the time-base corrected output of the player
>without the SYNC IN connector.

This is wrong too. First of all, there are two types of "being in sync".
The first is genlock. When two video signals are genlocked, both the
horizontal and vertical sync are perfectly in phase. This allows you to
mix (dissolve) or wipe the two pictures together. In order for two VCR
pictures to be genlocked together, a TBC is required for each. (Well, ok,
you *can* actually cause the TBC to genlock to the non-TBC'ed picture,
but this is a very silly thing to do, as it defeats the stabilizing
function of the TBC.)

The second type of "being in sync" is called switchlock (although you
rarely hear that term).  This means that the vertical sync signals are
in phase, but the horizontal is not.  You can cut (switch) between the
pictures, but not combine (dissolve, wipe, etc.) them.  This is the type
of sync provided by using the SYNC IN connector on the VCR. This feature
is used for sync'ing VCR's in a cuts-only editing system, and also by
some TBC's that don't have full-frame correction and need to get the
signal "close" (in switchlock) before they can work.

The toaster requires TBC's on ALL VCR signals, even if you only have
one VCR. I think there are now some TBC's-on-a-card available quite
cheap for the Amiga.

|  Jeff Mann  Inter/Access Artists' Computer Centre, Toronto  [416] 535-8601 |
| ...uunet!mnetor!intacc!mann   intacc!mann@nexus.yorku.ca  mann@intacc.uucp |
|      The Matrix Artists' Computer Network BBS: [416] 535-7598 2400 8N1     |

In article <arctngnt.3250@amiganet.chi.il.us> arctngnt@amiganet.chi.il.us (Bowie J Poag) writes:

>First off, Newtek's Video Toaster dosent need a TBC (Time Base Corrector)
>unless youre going to be manipulating multiple video sources simultaneously..

Bzzzt. Sorry. Thanks for playing. The toaster requires a TBC on ALL VCR
inputs, even if you only have one VCR.

>Like I said, for more info on the Toaster (I dont even own one, but im fairly
>literate in discussing it, and Ive sat down and played with the software for a

From the few postings of yours I've seen here lately, I'm not sure that
you're particularly literate in discussing (sic) *anything*. How old are you,
anyways?

|  Jeff Mann  Inter/Access Artists' Computer Centre, Toronto  [416] 535-8601 |
| ...uunet!mnetor!intacc!mann   intacc!mann@nexus.yorku.ca  mann@intacc.uucp |
|      The Matrix Artists' Computer Network BBS: [416] 535-7598 2400 8N1     |

arctngnt@amiganet.chi.il.us (Bowie J Poag) (06/12/91)

Jeff: My advice to you: Call Newtek.

From the few postingsof yours ive seen here larely, I'm not sure that you're
paticularly literate in discussing (sic) *anything*. How old are you, anyways?

Fancy cororate moron signatures to you,
Arctangent

Flicker turns me on.  -BJP | Get back into the SeX PiSToLs if you program in
Arctangent, Naperville IL. | C. It helps.  //