[comp.multimedia] NeXT/Amiga Multimedia..

arctngnt@amiganet.chi.il.us (Bowie J Poag) (05/15/91)

Sure, RJG.... Feel free to go out and pay $10,000 for a black and white
machine that isnt even NTSC compatible, cant display ANY color AT ALL, has NO
software support, and an incredibly limited user base....

Or, you can get an Amiga, a mid-range cost, high-performance multimedia
monster, with over 4000 colors displayable at dozens of resolutions, NTSC
compatible, with an exceedingly large amount of multimedia software available
and a good sized user base.

For $500 I can get an Amiga that will outperform a NeXT in many areas. No
joke.. Its not that hard to do.

The Amiga is the OBVIOUS choice for anything related to multimedia.

Arctangent

ems@gsbsun.uchicago.edu (Ted Shelton) (05/15/91)

arctngnt@amiganet.chi.il.us (Bowie J Poag) writes:

>Sure, RJG.... Feel free to go out and pay $10,000 for a black and white
>machine that isnt even NTSC compatible, cant display ANY color AT ALL, has NO
>software support, and an incredibly limited user base....

>The Amiga is the OBVIOUS choice for anything related to multimedia.

You have perhaps already received some response on your comments about
the NeXT platform.  I agree that the Amiga is a useful platform though
your information about the NeXT is out-of-date and innacurate.  The
appropriate platform for any given application is never "obvious" and
is always a factor of the size, type, complexity, and user environment
intended.  The Amiga has certain strengths, as does the NeXT.  I think
we are all served by haveing complete knowledge about computing options
so that we can make the correct choice in given situations.

Ted Shelton
ems@gsbsun.uchicago.edu

cimarron@erewhon.postgres.Berkeley.EDU (Cimarron D. Taylor </>) (05/15/91)

 | Sure, RJG.... Feel free to go out and pay $10,000 for a black and white
 | machine that isnt even NTSC compatible, cant display ANY color AT ALL,

	I believe you are thinking of the original NeXT machine.  The
	new ``NeXTstation'' and ``NeXTcube'' are both capable of color
	and there is also this nifty new ``NeXTdimension'' board which
	features 30 fps JPEG video and a lot of other mondo features which
	are beyond me.  From the tech literature I picked up at a NeXT
	factory tour, I believe at least one of the above is NTSC compatible
	too.

	Cimarron Taylor
	Electronics Research Laboratory / POSTGRES project
	University of California, Berkeley
	cimarron@postgres.berkeley.edu

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J Eric Townsend) (05/16/91)

In article <CIMARRON.91May15073323@erewhon.postgres.Berkeley.EDU> cimarron@erewhon.postgres.Berkeley.EDU (Cimarron D. Taylor </>) writes:
>	and there is also this nifty new ``NeXTdimension'' board which
>	features 30 fps JPEG video and a lot of other mondo features which

So the PEG bugs are fixed?  It actually functions now?  What's base
price on a NeXT w/ dimension + genlock + a ton of interactive multimedia,
modeling and titling software?

That's what I thought.

Buy an Amiga, buy a Toaster, get a CDTV and developer's kit,
buy AmigaVision... :-)

--
J. Eric Townsend - jet@uh.edu - bitnet: jet@UHOU - vox: (713) 749-2126
Skate UNIX or bleed, boyo...(UNIX is a trademark of Unix Systems Laboratories).

tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) (05/16/91)

SO they have the toaster for the Amiga 3000 available do they? Last I heard
I had to buy an old technology Amiga 2000 or 2500 to put a Toaster in.

The NeXT box (when it is shipping with JPEG functional which I do not think
is presently the case thanks to C-Cube!) will do something the Amiga will
probably never do. Edit digital video on disk. There are lots of other
things a NeXT will do much more easily than an Amiga, like exist cleanly in
an ethernet university environment.

The counter arguments could go on for both sides forever. Different machines
are more appropriate for different applications, and Amiga is great at NTSC
video in some areas, but there is often a larger picture that the platform
has to fit into.

I find than your comments are a bit obnoxious sounding, come off the soap
box for a while, tell us what your preferred platform does well, help when
help is needed, but don't attack....

In article <1991May16.140513.4946@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) writes:

>The NeXT box (when it is shipping with JPEG functional which I do not think
>is presently the case thanks to C-Cube!) will do something the Amiga will
>probably never do. Edit digital video on disk. There are lots of other
>things a NeXT will do much more easily than an Amiga, like exist cleanly in
>an ethernet university environment.

	I seem to remember being able to do this today, actually.
Requires a digitizer and a program such as ADPro which
manipulates 24 images. JPEG makes the process easier, admittedly,
in that it saves disk-drive room. But there's no reason you can't
do just what you described.

	-- Ethan

The constitution isn't perfect, but
it's better than what we have now.

mark@masscomp.westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (05/17/91)

(Terry Jones) writes:
>The NeXT box (when it is shipping with JPEG functional which I do not think
>is presently the case thanks to C-Cube!) will do something the Amiga will
>probably never do. Edit digital video on disk.

A testament from the grossly shortsighted and uninformed. Your ignorance
is overwhelming. First of all, JPEG is not intended for moving video,
that is the realm of MPEG.  JPEG is being used by a few companies to
implement digital video editing, but image quality is fair at best. Because
JPEG cannot take advantage of image to image coherency, it must sacrifice
image quality to achieve the compression needed for real time video
recording, playback, and editing from disk. MPEG addresses this problem
as that was what it was meant to do. Commodore purportedly is already
talking to MPEG chip manufacturers in an effort to include this technology
in the Amiga's long list of multimedia capabilities. I might add that it
is currently possible to edit and playback digital video from disk on the
Amiga using DCTV. Real time recording is coming soon.

>There are lots of other
>things a NeXT will do much more easily than an Amiga, like exist cleanly in
>an ethernet university environment.

You truly are uninformed. On that note, I'm out of here. These NeXT wars
are disturbingly non-productive and it appears that all you want is a war.
%~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~%
%      `       '        Mark Thompson                 CONCURRENT COMPUTER  %
% --==* RADIANT *==--   mark@westford.ccur.com        Principal Graphics   %
%      ' Image `        ...!uunet!masscomp!mark       Hardware Architect   %
%     Productions                                     & General Nuisance   %
%                                                                          %

tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) (05/17/91)

>>The NeXT box (when it is shipping with JPEG functional which I do not think
>>is presently the case thanks to C-Cube!) will do something the Amiga will
>>probably never do. Edit digital video on disk.
>
>A testament from the grossly shortsighted and uninformed. Your ignorance
>is overwhelming. First of all, JPEG is not intended for moving video,
>that is the realm of MPEG.
Well excuse me... I fail to understand how NeXT's choice to use JPEG to
compress video places me in the overwhelmingly uninformed class. I am well
aware of the purpose of both JPEG and MPEG. I thought we were talking about
what NeXT and Amiga were (not) doing, not what some people feel they
should do!

>image quality to achieve the compression needed for real time video
>recording, playback, and editing from disk. MPEG addresses this problem
>as that was what it was meant to do. Commodore purportedly is already
>talking to MPEG chip manufacturers in an effort to include this technology
>in the Amiga's long list of multimedia capabilities.
And I bet that NeXT hasn't heard of MPEG and aren't talking to ANYONE about
it! Whats your point...

>I might add that it
>is currently possible to edit and playback digital video from disk on the
>Amiga using DCTV. Real time recording is coming soon.
Lots of things are "coming real soon now". Why I bet you will even see
the Macintosh do some amazing things with video in the near future...

>>There are lots of other
>>things a NeXT will do much more easily than an Amiga, like exist cleanly in
>>an ethernet university environment.
>
>You truly are uninformed. On that note, I'm out of here. These NeXT wars
Huh? Whats your point? With an ethernet port built into the next and
a Unix operating system, lets face it it drops in place (well almost...
I guess you just type "make"!!). What are you doing for network mail and
access to file servers, printers and stuff. Maybe there are packages and
hardware available, but this stuff is standard equipment with the NeXT.

I really don't mind being pointed out as uninformed as long as you
can provide some reasonable information. Thanks.
>are disturbingly non-productive and it appears that all you want is a war.
Well, its not all non productive, you are about to tell me about some
nice Amiga stuff for ethernet connectivity and about DCTV for Amiga (could
you provide a company and number so I can call them?)

No I don't want war, but some comments posted (similar to yours) were sounding
on the nasty side. Lets stick to information rather than slamming.

tj

manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) (05/18/91)

In article <1991May16.140513.4946@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca>, tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) writes:
> SO they have the toaster for the Amiga 3000 available do they? Last I heard
> I had to buy an old technology Amiga 2000 or 2500 to put a Toaster in.

The Toaster is not yet available for the A3000.  However, I don't recall
the Toaster being the point of the entire earlier post.  There are many
products both hardware and software that are available for the entire
Amiga line of computers that allow instant impressive video capability.

> The NeXT box (when it is shipping with JPEG functional which I do not think
> is presently the case thanks to C-Cube!) will do something the Amiga will
> probably never do. Edit digital video on disk. There are lots of other
> things a NeXT will do much more easily than an Amiga, like exist cleanly in
> an ethernet university environment.

What do you base this on?  I think it very likely that JPEG will come
to the Amiga.  I would even be bold enough to say that probably sooner
than later.  I really do not see a specail 'feature' in the NeXT that
makes this type of work more 'do-able'.

As far as existing 'cleanly' in a ethernet environment goes.  I would
be interested in your idea of 'clean'.  Amigas have been able to use
'ethernet' since 1986.  Not exactly nor really exciting technology if
you ask me.

> The counter arguments could go on for both sides forever. Different machines
> are more appropriate for different applications, and Amiga is great at NTSC
> video in some areas, but there is often a larger picture that the platform
> has to fit into.

I agree.  I think there is room for more than one hardware solution to
problems.  I think this was the original reason for the first 'pro-amiga'
post.  You see the PC-noids and the Mac-freaks (there I said it!) and
their publications _always_ ignore better technology _if_ it is not
MS/DOS or Mac compatible.

As with most things what is "best" is often disregarded based on
market-share, which is too bad.

You as a NeXT owner will get to experience this 'frustration' as
well.  :-)

> I find than your comments are a bit obnoxious sounding, come off the soap
> box for a while, tell us what your preferred platform does well, help when
> help is needed, but don't attack....

They were a bit obnoxious, your comments were not much better.  But,
it does point out that even in multimedia the blinders are firmly in
place all around.

 -mark=

 +--------+   ==================================================
 | \/     |   Mark D. Manes   "The Most lopsided deal since ..."
 | /\  \/ |   manes@vger.nsu.edu
 |     /  |   (804) 683-2532    "Make up your own mind! - AMIGA"
 +--------+   ==================================================
 "I protest Captain!  I am not a merry man!" - Lt. Worf

hahn@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (Ki Suk Hahn) (05/18/91)

In article <1991May16.203820.21059@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca>, tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) writes:

>>are disturbingly non-productive and it appears that all you want is a war.
>Well, its not all non productive, you are about to tell me about some

	Hi.  I'm new to this group and I read it for information, even if a
lot of the discussions are over my head.  I think it's productive to have
these exchanges so that differing opinions are aired.

--k hahn

mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (05/18/91)

In article <62084@masscomp.westford.ccur.com> mark@masscomp.westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) writes:
>A testament from the grossly shortsighted and uninformed. ...rest deleted...

Sorry, maybe I was a bit harsh. I would just like to see the level of
conversation get above "my computer does this and yours never will".
%~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~%

martin@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Daniel Martin) (05/18/91)

In article <1991May15.193236.4712@menudo.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J Eric Townsend) writes:
>In article <CIMARRON.91May15073323@erewhon.postgres.Berkeley.EDU> cimarron@erewhon.postgres.Berkeley.EDU (Cimarron D. Taylor </>) writes:
>>	and there is also this nifty new ``NeXTdimension'' board which
>>	features 30 fps JPEG video and a lot of other mondo features which
>
>So the PEG bugs are fixed?  It actually functions now?  What's base
>price on a NeXT w/ dimension + genlock + a ton of interactive multimedia,
>modeling and titling software?

   That sound like the Mac defensive arguments "Sure the toaster is wonderful:
does everything a TV studio does for less than 5000$, but have they fixed their
latest bugs?  Have they passed FCC?  And who owns amigas...  yak yak yak.

   For your information:

   NeXT Station, 100 Meg, 8 Meg ram, BW Monitor, 68040, DSP, softwares (UNIX)
   etc. for 4995$ list.

   NeXT Dimension board, 32 bitplanes, 8 bitplanes alpha channel.  A really
   impressive card.  3995$ list.

   Educationnal discount available and very interesting.

   From: Walter Daugherity, September 18, 1990

   "...The 32-bit color board has a 33 MHz i860 (64-bit RISC) graphics processor
and a JPEG compression coprocessor from C-Cube, which lets you take live
video and compress and store it in real time (up to 60 minutes on the
optional 1.4 gigabyte internal hard disk).  All standard video inputs and
outputs are supported.  At 30,000 polygons per second (Gouraud shading,
triangular, meshed), this "true color" runs as fast as or faster than the
4 gray-level monochrome NeXT's."

   Software: one or two softwares directly aimed at multimedia.  Geesh, a
TON!  Can you list some of your TON of MULTIMEDIA software?

   Genlocks: the NeXTDimension card can be use as a genlock with video (S-VHS)
output, but I don't know yet if you can display live video in a window with
it (digital).

>That's what I thought.

   What did you thought?  That the amiga offer more and cost less?
Well think again.  Amiga is an honest offer, but so is the NeXT.

   On my NeXT I have a large display, a very good interface, display
postscript, Interface Builder, good sound (DSP), good object oriented
languages, multimedia e-mail facilities, fax integration, etc. all standard.
The amiga family doesn't.

   Hear, at home I have a A3000.  Cost me around 6000$ CDN.  Been a developer
since 1986.  I like it and work profesionnaly on it.  But you must open your
eyes and look at what's on the market.  I wouldn't put a NeXT at home (yet),
but neither an Amiga in my buisness office (yet).

   In many labs like here, UNIX, X Windows and ethernet are mandatory.
Screen less than 16" are small and resolution less than 1000x1000 is
unsatisfactory.  When the A3000UX will be shipped with the 68040,
large screen, color, DSP, etc. I wonder how much they will sell their
machine.  Nothing is free, and competition is harsh.  Let me tell you that
NeXT have set one of the most interesting price war in the Workstation
market.

   So, what are your solutions in the 1280x1024x24 RGB display area?  How much
does it cost??   And don't give me any flickering solution.  Video is
going digital anyway.  Oh, and which card do you recommend to compress
video?  Any C-Cube implementation on the horizon?

>Buy an Amiga, buy a Toaster, get a CDTV and developer's kit,
>buy AmigaVision... :-)

   I hope you realize that the toaster really SAVED the Amiga, or do you?
I agree that Commodore Dynamic Total Vision is a smart move, but for
their sake they better MARKET IT before Phillips AND sony goes out with their
systems.

   And what do you think of AmigaVision?  It would be interesting to compare
our experiences with some of our students that used it for the last 12 months...

>J. Eric Townsend - jet@uh.edu - bitnet: jet@UHOU - vox: (713) 749-2126

--
    // Daniel Martin                            Universite de Montreal   \\
   //  MediaLab, ca vous regarde!               C.P. 6128, Succursale A,  \\

hackbod@prism.cs.orst.edu (Dave Hackborn) (05/18/91)

In article <1991May18.001444.4743@IRO.UMontreal.CA> martin@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Daniel Martin) writes:

>   NeXT Station, 100 Meg, 8 Meg ram, BW Monitor, 68040, DSP, softwares (UNIX)
>   etc. for 4995$ list.
>
>   NeXT Dimension board, 32 bitplanes, 8 bitplanes alpha channel.  A really
>   impressive card.  3995$ list.

The only problem is that you can't use the NeXT Dimension board with the
NeXT Stations :-)

The NeXT Station doesn't have any slots; you'll need to get a NeXT Cube,
which is about $8000.  As far as I know, the Cube is basically the same
as the Station, except that it has slots.

Yes, the NeXT Station *is* a nice machine, and when I was looking for
a computer to buy, I had a tough time deciding between it and the A3000.
Until I found out that there was no way to upgrade it to color.  I
HATE b&w.  If you want color, the NeXT Station Color is about $8000 and
gives you 1120 x 832 pixel 12 bit (4096 color) display with 12 MB.  Oh,
and you'll need the 340MB drive to do anything serious.

I really like the NeXT computers.  I just wish I could afford one.  :-)

elg@elgamy.RAIDERNET.COM (Eric Lee Green) (05/18/91)

From article <62084@masscomp.westford.ccur.com>, by mark@masscomp.westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson):
> In article <1991May16.140513.4946@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca
> (Terry Jones) writes:
>>There are lots of other
>>things a NeXT will do much more easily than an Amiga, like exist cleanly in
>>an ethernet university environment.
>
> You truly are uninformed. On that note, I'm out of here. These NeXT wars
> are disturbingly non-productive and it appears that all you want is a war.

Uninformed indeed, considering that NeXT and Commodore are using the exact
same Berkeley networking code! (That's right, much of Commodore's current
Ethernet TCP/IP package is a fairly straight port, complete all the way
down to the "FTP" and "rlogin" programs). In addition, you can get "X" from
Boing! and REALLY "rlogin" to your remote hosts (i.e., via a graphical
windowing interface, instead of glass tty).

--
Eric Lee Green   (318) 984-1820  P.O. Box 92191  Lafayette, LA 70509
elg@elgamy.RAIDERNET.COM               uunet!mjbtn!raider!elgamy!elg

arctngnt@amiganet.chi.il.us (Bowie J Poag) (05/19/91)

Exist "cleanly" ? Define that..

There are more than a few Ethernet cards for the A2000/3000 series. Theyre not
that hard to find...

Besides, CBM already has a VERY nice Unix-based Amiga, which stacks up rather
nicel when measured up to a Next.

Arctangent

arctngnt@amiganet.chi.il.us (Bowie J Poag) (05/19/91)

Exactly. For instance.. Picked up a MacUser today with some news on System
7.0... They were making a big shit out what they call IPC... Inter-process
communication, making the average idiot think that this is some kind of
technical innoovation available only to Mac users..Sheesh.

Amigas have been doing inter-process communcation since 1985. BIG DEAL....
Even when I look back on what I reas about System 7 for the Mac, the Amiga
already has it all..Its like theyre doing a catch-up job.

Arctangent

arctngnt@amiganet.chi.il.us (Bowie J Poag) (05/19/91)

Well, Mark.. it IS true.. There are some "stunts" an Amiga can perform that a
NeXT, Mac OR IBM will NEVER be able to perform.

WHy? To enable each one of those machines to perform it, youde render it
incompatible with what was made before.

Should send you a videotape of some good european demos.  The simple fact is,
when it comes to the Amiga and audio/visual stuff, what we consider
commonplace, and even in some cased BORING, other users of other platforms
look at it and drool. The Amiga was BUILT to handle audio and video
simultaneously, ever since the beginning of the machine in 1985. And it shows.

And just to remind you, incase you may have forgotten. simultaneous audio and
video is what the multi in "multimedia" means. This is why the Amiga is the
best choice, over NeXT, and their barely-there-at-all software base, the IBM
in its cryptic, cold text interfaces and clogged up operating system. The only
viable solution under an Amiga is a Mac.. They have just begun to step into
multimedia, and even still, they cant multitask to any successful degree...
Even to get the effect you want, youre going to have to dish out a gigazillion
dollars to do it.

WHY BOTHER. The Amiga does it, has been doing it, and WILL CONTINUE to do it
well into the future.. The only problem is, is the public's lack of attention
for so called "cult" machines..

Arctangent, Age 16.

PS..And I bet youde be surprised if you knew how large the "cult" has grown.

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J Eric Townsend) (05/20/91)

In article <1991May16.203820.21059@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) writes:
>Well, its not all non productive, you are about to tell me about some
>nice Amiga stuff for ethernet connectivity and about DCTV for Amiga (could
>you provide a company and number so I can call them?)

The 3000UX (Amiga 3000 with system V release 4 unix) comes with an
ethernet controller (and tcp/ip of course).

I don't have the list prices handy, but these are the educational
prices as of this month or last for the CBM ethernet/arcnet products:
A2060 (Arcnet)		$  158
A2065 (Ethernet)	$  241

My fall/winter '90 (somewhat outdated, but the most recent I can find)
Guide to the Commodore Amiga (a big catalog of all the cool stuff
people make) lists:

A2000 ethernet card, ACD, West Germany, +49 421 3499517
DoubleTalk (AppleTalk interface), PP&S, Denver, CO 303.825.4144
Lan Rover, ASDG, Madison, Wi, 608.273.6585 (for OEM apps only)

Also listed is:
TSSnet (DECNET), Syndesis, Brookly, Wi, 608.455.1422
X11 for the Amiga, Gfx Base, Milpitas, CA, 408.262.1469

--
J. Eric Townsend - jet@uh.edu - bitnet: jet@UHOU - vox: (713) 749-2126
"The final twitch of P.C. grand peur has to do with the age-old fear of

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) (05/21/91)

In article <1991May19.191059.7128@menudo.uh.edu>, J Eric Townsend writes:

> My fall/winter '90 (somewhat outdated, but the most recent I can find)
> Guide to the Commodore Amiga (a big catalog of all the cool stuff
> people make) lists:
>
> A2000 ethernet card, ACD, West Germany, +49 421 3499517
> DoubleTalk (AppleTalk interface), PP&S, Denver, CO 303.825.4144
> Lan Rover, ASDG, Madison, Wi, 608.273.6585 (for OEM apps only)

	Interesting that DoubleTalk is included in the listing, even though
it's still not for sale, and that Interact isn't listed, even though it's
been available on the market for well over a year. Just goes to show you
that PP&S has better marketing people than DigiFeX, I guess. :-)

> J. Eric Townsend - jet@uh.edu - bitnet: jet@UHOU - vox: (713) 749-2126
> "The final twitch of P.C. grand peur has to do with the age-old fear of
> antinomian beastliness, lesbians holding black masses over copies of
> Derrida and so forth." -- Alexander Cockburn

  -Bill Seymour     nesbbx!billsey@agora.uucp or nesbbx!billsey@agora.rain.com
*****   American People/Link  Amiga Zone Hardware Specialist   NES*BILL  *****
Bejed, Inc.     NES, Inc.        NAG BBS         NES BBX BBS    Home Sometimes
(503)281-8153   (503)246-9311   (503)656-7393   (503)640-9337   (503) 640-0842

In article <1991May16.140513.4946@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) writes:

>There are lots of other things a NeXT will do much more easily than an Amiga,
>like exist cleanly in an ethernet university environment.

That's absolute bunk.  My Amiga here has been existing cleanly in an Ethernet
based engineering environment since before NeXT existed, period.

      "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight" -R.E.M.

melby@daffy.yk.Fujitsu.CO.JP (John B. Melby) (05/21/91)

> Exactly. For instance.. Picked up a MacUser today with some news on System
> 7.0... They were making a big shit out what they call IPC [....]

This term is generic and is in common use among UNIX programmers.  What it
all boils down to is that if you don't have processes, you can't have IPC.
Next....

-----
John B. Melby
Fujitsu Limited, Machida, Japan
melby%yk.fujitsu.co.jp@fai.com

martin@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Daniel Martin) (05/22/91)

In article <21753@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>In article <1991May16.140513.4946@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) writes:
>>There are lots of other things a NeXT will do much more easily than an Amiga,
>>like exist cleanly in an ethernet university environment.
>
>That's absolute bunk.  My Amiga here has been existing cleanly in an Ethernet
>based engineering environment since before NeXT existed, period.
>Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Amiga 3000) "The Crew That Never Rests"

   Well, it's true that there was an ethernet solution (by Ameristar, now
a Commodore product) before the NeXT went public.

   His statement is true in at least one way:  the NeXT validates the user
and can be "trusted" in a network.  This is not yet the case under AmigaDos.
I can set my uid/gid to anything, and have unrestricted access to the mounted
partitions.  In our network, we 'restricted' our amigas to 'ftp' and 'login'
(pathetic :-().

--
    // Daniel Martin                            Universite de Montreal   \\
   //  MediaLab, ca vous regarde!               C.P. 6128, Succursale A,  \\
\\//   Mail: martin@IRO.UMontreal.CA            Montreal (Quebec), CANADA, \\//
 \/    Tel.: (514) 343-6111 poste 3494          H3C 3J7                     \/

martin@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Daniel Martin) (05/22/91)

Relating to a series of articles from "Arctangent":

Foreword - If you intent to give information on the Amiga over the Network, as
	   your organisation name states, I hope you change your style, since
	   IMHO you do more harm than good.

> There are more than a few Ethernet cards for the A2000/3000 series. Theyre not
> that hard to find...

   More than a few?  Beside the card from Commodore (actually bought from
Ameristar) which ones are you talking about?

>  Besides, CBM already has a VERY nice Unix-based Amiga, which stacks up rather
> nicel when measured up to a Next.

   Have you ever work on NeXT?  The 3000UX is a very nice home workstation
(I have one at home).  The NeXT is a very nice office workstation (I have one
at my office).  Wouldn't interchange them.  Both are good machines, each in
their own realm.  I don't expect to use TAD on the NeXT (yet), but neither do I
use FrameMaker on my Amiga (yet).

   The NeXT has interesting features:  Interface Builder, display postscrip,
object oriented everywhere, DSP and mike standards, Mach, high quality
monitor etc.  Just for those concepts, I would NeXT Inc. to survive.  They
really make the competition move...

> Exactly. For instance.. Picked up a MacUser today with some news on System
> 7.0... They were making a big shit out what they call IPC... Inter-process
> communication, making the average idiot think that this is some kind of
> technical innoovation available only to Mac users..Sheesh.
> Amigas have been doing inter-process communcation since 1985. BIG DEAL....
> Even when I look back on what I reas about System 7 for the Mac, the Amiga
> already has it all..Its like theyre doing a catch-up job.

   The point is that they are catching up.  And they have a bigger userbase.
And IMHO, better marketing.

   Normally, when the amiga has a working prototype of something, Apple
"discover" it until IBM and Microsoft invent it!  :-)

> Well, Mark.. it IS true.. There are some "stunts" an Amiga can perform that a
> NeXT, Mac OR IBM will NEVER be able to perform.
> WHy? To enable each one of those machines to perform it, youde render it
> incompatible with what was made before.

  I wouldn't use NEVER.  I think an IBM 34010 based graphic card can
easily do whatever copper-blitter operation I can think of right now on a
1024x1024 256 colors screen.  Now with a nice midi module, you can do some
pretty neat "intro".  Of course you NEVER mentionned price...

   Now we can reverse your statement:  there's quite a lot of things that those
platforms have that the amiga does not support right now: video in a window,
24 bit RGB color (not NTSC, or composite), postscript display, 68040, virtual
memory, etc.

>Should send you a videotape of some good european demos.  The simple fact is,
>when it comes to the Amiga and audio/visual stuff, what we consider
>commonplace, and even in some cased BORING, other users of other platforms
>look at it and drool. The Amiga was BUILT to handle audio and video
>simultaneously, ever since the beginning of the machine in 1985. And it shows.

   Those demo are quite impressive.  Now people do work, you know.  And they use
BORING stuff like spreadsheets, word processors, mathematical tools, etc. (I.e.
Wings, Lotus Improv, 4th Dimension, DBase, Mathematica, Words, FrameMaker, etc.)
None of them available on AmigaDos (Some, like FrameMaker, can be used via X
Windows).

>And just to remind you, incase you may have forgotten. simultaneous audio and
>video is what the multi in "multimedia" means.

   It now regroups also text, animation, graphics, and images.  Simultaneous.

> This is why the Amiga is the best choice....

   Because you can do wild cool intros?  I agree that the hardware WAS built
to support sound and video, but "almost" no changes have been made in the basic
functionnalities offered by the special chipset (number of colors, screen size,
CHIPMEM speed limitations, etc.).  It still gives you good performance price
wise, but the market is catching up FAST.

> over NeXT, and their barely-there-at-all software base

   Haven't we spoke of software yet?  Frame and Mathematica work on NeXT
computers.  Those tools are used *heavily* in universities.  I agree that
they lack commercial softwares.  It's like the amiga used to be, back in 1986.

> the IBM in its cryptic, cold text interfaces and clogged up operating system.

   Agreed on the OS.  But Windows have been invented :-) and that will give
fuel for at least 5 other years of IBM PC's compatible monopole.  They'll be
supplanted by workstation and palmtop, not by other PC's.

> The only viable solution under an Amiga is a Mac.. They have just begun to step into
> multimedia, and even still, they cant multitask to any successful degree...
> Even to get the effect you want, youre going to have to dish out a gigazillion
> dollars to do it.

  Yup, but they just begun :-).  As far as the multitasking issue goes, I'm
hoping 7.0 will support preemptive multitasking.  I find it really unproductive
to work under a non-preemptive multitasking environment anymore.

  And they have HyperCard and Macromind Director.   HyperCard is shipped with
every MacIntosh, and is really a wonderfull prototyping tool.  (AmigaVision did
not fullfill our expectations.)

>WHY BOTHER. The Amiga does it, has been doing it, and WILL CONTINUE to do it
>well into the future.. The only problem is, is the public's lack of attention
>for so called "cult" machines..

  Conclusion:
  If you intent to give information on the Amiga on the Network,
  I hope you change your style and do a more research, since
  IMHO you do more harm than good for the Amiga.

  That's all folks,
	Daniel.

P.S.  All 'noise' should be redirected to comp.sys.amiga.advocacy.
      Please.

--

In article <1991May21.233534.10638@IRO.UMontreal.CA> martin@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Daniel Martin) writes:
>    His statement is true in at least one way:  the NeXT validates the user
> and can be "trusted" in a network.

Hah. You need to discuss security on TCP/IP based networks with the folks
at Project Athena.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

arctngnt@amiganet.chi.il.us (Bowie J Poag) (05/23/91)

>In article <1991May16.140513.4946@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca
> (Terry Jones) writes:
>
>>There are lots of other things a NeXT will do much more easily than an Amiga,
>
>>like exist cleanly in an ethernet university environment.
>
>That's absolute bunk.  My Amiga here has been existing cleanly in an Ethernet
>based engineering environment since before NeXT existed, period.
>
>--
>Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Amiga 3000) "The Crew That Never Rests"
>   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: hazy     BIX: hazy
>      "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight" -R.E.M.

(clap clap clap clap)

ArCTaNGeNt
Naperville, IL

arctngnt@amiganet.chi.il.us (Bowie J Poag) (05/23/91)

>> Exactly. For instance.. Picked up a MacUser today with some news on System
>> 7.0... They were making a big shit out what they call IPC [....]
>
>This term is generic and is in common use among UNIX programmers.  What it
>all boils down to is that if you don't have processes, you can't have IPC.
>Next....
>
>-----
>John B. Melby
>Fujitsu Limited, Machida, Japan
>melby%yk.fujitsu.co.jp@fai.com

Gotcha. What I meant was, its lpretty sad to see all the Mac users get so
exited over little things.

I mean, it seems the general user public for the Macintosh about wets its
pants at even the thought of multitasking. Even though Unix/Amiga have been
doing it for eons.

Its like locking a kid up, and giving him a rock to play with... The kid will
be totally exited over the rock, meanwhile you and me look at a million rocks
every day.

I consider Mac users to be deprived children. Im lucky I have an Amiga....

Ive spoiled myself.

(No fancy signature)
Arctangent

arctngnt@amiganet.chi.il.us (Bowie J Poag) (05/23/91)

Whew, talk about a case of bug-up-the-butt..

First off.. I thought the NeXT/Amiga argument died?

Ethernet cards: Besides the one made by CBM, I know there is at least 1 other.
I gave my AmigaWorld to someone else, so I cant tell you offhand. I know ive
seen it somewhere, though.

Used a NeXT ONCE.. Wasnt really impressed outside of the picture. Sorry, but
sleek and sexy BLACK computers dont turn me on. Its the guts inside that
count.

True, the Mac IS catching up, along with the IBM. But you overlook the fact
that CBM has been doing a little moving-and-shaking of its own over the past
year and a half...Having your company's stock jump from 4 1/2 to 21 1/4 bucks
a share is what I call "positive growth", dont you?

I dont mean to beat NeXT into the ground. We all know the NeXT is one mother
of a platform. Its just that the Amiga kills it in some areas. As does the
NeXT kill the Amiga in other areas as well.

The 34010 based graphics card from IBM wasnt MADE by IBM. The 34010 chip was
made by TI. If I remember correctly, there is (will be soon) a board for the
Amiga that handles the 34010. A vague rumor, though. I doubt that it exists.

Price? Ok. Im willing to bet that a $500 Amiga can outperform a VGA based 386
in the area of multimedia.

Video-in-a-window? Who needs that.. For the cost of the board that will enable
you to do that, you might as well go out and buy yourself a couple color
TV's.. Even still, you can run out and get a cheap Genlock for around $100,
and have video overlayed in the background while you work. Big whoopie.

The "boring" things you listed as being "unavailable on the Amiga" arent in
name... But in function, they are VERY available. We have equivalents to them.
Geez, its not like the Amiga dosent have a single database/spreadsheet
available for it.

I know multimedia encompasses everything from Audio to visual/animated/
interactive/text/whatever..Was just using simultaneous audio and visual as an
incredibly SIMPLE thing to do on the Amiga, that give platforms like the IBM a
severe heart attack in trying to perform.

The AMiga is the best choice because I can do cool intros? Right. Thats my
point exactly. The cool intros show us what CAN be done. What can be in those
intros can be in multimedia, ya know. As long as we know the capability is
THERE, IN THE MACHINE, >>WITHOUT<< ANY ADD-ON CARDS.. If we know this, then
there really is NO NEED for extra hardware (sound/video enhancements)..... The
market for that just isnt there for the Amiga. The installed graphics/audio
hardware on the Amiga is STILL far ahead of the competition, both in price and
performance.

I doubt Windows will last for another 5 years. People WILL eventually wise up,
and figure out how much theyre being swindled for with Windows.. There will be
future Macs, and future Amigas that will leave the future-less IBM's in the
dust, and the cryptic dos interface will be dead from then on.

Macromind Director isnt really THAT impressive. Saw it a couple times demoed
on a favoite computer nerd show of mine on a local PBS station. Didnt look
that spectacular.

Hypercard is nice, yes. To a certain degree. I personally like AmigaVision
better though. To each his own, eh?

And for now, just kill the NeXT/Amiga argument.
ArcTaNGent

mcc@moscom.UUCP (Mike Corbett) (05/24/91)

In article <arctngnt.2769@amiganet.chi.il.us> arctngnt@amiganet.chi.il.us (Bowie J Poag) writes:
>Macromind Director isnt really THAT impressive. Saw it a couple times demoed
>on a favoite computer nerd show of mine on a local PBS station. Didnt look
>that spectacular.

I'm confused.  Is the Macromind Director (that everyone in the Mac community
is salivating over) the same thing as The Director that was first created on
and for the Amiga, or is someone else ripping-off that products name?

Mike

--
      ///
     ///   "Only Amiga Makes It Possible!"        mcc@moscom.com

hill@cse.uta.edu (Adam Hill) (05/25/91)

In article <192b78dc.ARN00ff@nesbbx.UUCP> nesbbx!billsey@agora.UUCP writes:

>	Interesting that DoubleTalk is included in the listing, even though
>it's still not for sale, and that Interact isn't listed, even though it's
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^ -- WHAT?!?!?!

  My dealer has 2 of them and uses them to output to NTX's, QMS Color
100's, HP Painjet XL and a Lino 500. It has "real" packaging, bound
manuals and a registration card. You can send mail via it and move
files back and forth to a server. It also support Amiga to Amiga mode
that runs at 400K/sec (As opposed to ATalk's 200K/s)

  And I beleive the price was around 250.00

>been available on the market for well over a year. Just goes to show you
>that PP&S has better marketing people than DigiFeX, I guess. :-)

>  -Bill Seymour     nesbbx!billsey@agora.uucp or nesbbx!billsey@agora.rain.com

--
 adam hill --  hill@cse.uta.edu        ASOCC - University of Texas at UTA
     I programmed for three days          Make Up Your Own Mind.. AMIGA!

<LEEK@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (05/28/91)

In article <arctngnt.2769@amiganet.chi.il.us>, arctngnt@amiganet.chi.il.us
(Bowie J Poag) says:

>Ethernet cards: Besides the one made by CBM, I know there is at least 1 other.
>I gave my AmigaWorld to someone else, so I cant tell you offhand. I know ive
>seen it somewhere, though.

GVP makes one.  I seen it in World of Commodore.  I don't know whether it
is Ethernet or Arcnet.

>The 34010 based graphics card from IBM wasnt MADE by IBM. The 34010 chip was
>made by TI. If I remember correctly, there is (will be soon) a board for the
>Amiga that handles the 34010. A vague rumor, though. I doubt that it exists.

Yes. It does !!  I believed some Commodore folks mentioned it and gave some
specs. It is a released product not a rumor.  It was show in World of Commodore
at Toronto around Dec. last year.  They had a 24-bit picture as a back drop
of X-windows on a 3000.

>And for now, just kill the NeXT/Amiga argument.
>ArcTaNGent

Yeap !

K. C. Lee
"Be careful of what you wish for.  It might come true."-Master Splinter,T.M.N.T

rick@ameristar (Rick Spanbauer) (05/28/91)

In article <1991May21.233534.10638@IRO.UMontreal.CA> martin@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Daniel Martin) writes:
>   His statement is true in at least one way:  the NeXT validates the user
>and can be "trusted" in a network.  This is not yet the case under AmigaDos.
>I can set my uid/gid to anything, and have unrestricted access to the mounted
>partitions.  In our network, we 'restricted' our amigas to 'ftp' and 'login'
>(pathetic :-().

>    // Daniel Martin                            Universite de Montreal   \\

	On an ordinary Unix machine, eg a Sun, it is possible to pretend,
	using NFS, to be any user one wants to.  This requires about as much
	skill, especially under earlier releases of SunOS, as re-setting
	the uid/gid in Amiga TCP/IP.  It is hard to provide real authentication
	on a machine that does not have a protected memory address space.
	I've heard that the PC implementations of NFS have this same problem,
	even though some use pcnfsd to authenticate a user.  Security that
	is little more than an illusion is perhaps worse at times than no
	security at all.

	As I recall the timeline, we've had NFS running on ethernet on the
	Amiga since roughly 1986.  Since I don't follow the NeXT, you can
	figure out which existed first ;-)

						Rick

rjmical@ntg.com (R.J. Mical) (05/29/91)

I think the Amiga is the best computer in the known universe.

jph@ais.org (Joseph Hillenburg) (05/29/91)

rjmical@ntg.com (R.J. Mical) writes:

>I think the Amiga is the best computer in the known universe.

Uhh, I don't think this is anything new. :) (You kinda expect this from one of
the people who *made* the machine...:)

Btw, Rj, do you have any new and interesting things you've written lying
around on those (probably gigabyte) hard drives of yours? :)
--
Joseph Hillenburg
jph@irie.ais.org

valentin@btr.BTR.COM (Valentin Pepelea valentin@btr.com) (05/29/91)

In article <754@goblin.ntg.com> rjmical@ntg.com (R.J. Mical) writes:

>I think the Amiga is the best computer in the known universe.

Yeah, but ghosts from the past keep haunting it.

Valentin
--
"An operating system without virtual memory      Name:      Valentin Pepelea
 is an operating system without virtue."         Phone:     (408) 985-1700

jcb@NCD.COM (Jim Becker) (05/30/91)

valentin@btr.BTR.COM (Valentin Pepelea  valentin@btr.com) writes:

    In article <754@goblin.ntg.com> rjmical@ntg.com (R.J. Mical) writes:

    >I think the Amiga is the best computer in the known universe.

    Yeah, but ghosts from the past keep haunting it.

    Valentin

Boo!

What  other  old Amiga spooks are still out there? Hey, I was doing MM
five  years  ago on this thang! Still great for it.. still the machine
of the future. [always has been, always will be.. :-)]

-Jim

 -Jim Becker / jcb@ncd.com   /   Network Computing Devices, Inc. (NCD)

In article <754@goblin.ntg.com> rjmical@ntg.com (R.J. Mical) writes:
>I think the Amiga is the best computer in the known universe.

You have exceedingly good taste for a person living in California.
      "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight" -R.E.M.

melby@daffy.yk.Fujitsu.CO.JP (John B. Melby) (05/30/91)

<comments about Amiga omitted>

#define flame
This newsgroup is starting to look like a pep rally for some Amiga user
group.  The comp.sys.amiga.* hierarchy is out there somewhere, for those
who need to post such meaningless drivel.
#undef flame

It would be much more useful, IMHO, to take up issues such as the
following:

* is a multimedia interface really useful for projects of type Z on
  system X?
* the establishment of a list of Frequently Asked Questions about multimedia
  implementation
* what multimedia formats are currently handled with existing software, and
  on what machines?  (If there were a periodic list, as on comp.compression
  and comp.graphics, that would be useful.)
* kludges for exchanging multimedia mail between system A, system S,
  system N, and so on...

-----

cwpjr@cbnewse.att.com (clyde.w.jr.phillips) (05/31/91)

In article <jcb.675560446@lupine>, jcb@NCD.COM (Jim Becker) writes:
> valentin@btr.BTR.COM (Valentin Pepelea  valentin@btr.com) writes:
>
>     In article <754@goblin.ntg.com> rjmical@ntg.com (R.J. Mical) writes:
>     >
>     >I think the Amiga is the best computer in the known universe.
>
>     Yeah, but ghosts from the past keep haunting it.
>
>     Valentin
>

> Boo!
>
> What  other  old Amiga spooks are still out there? Hey, I was doing MM
> five  years  ago on this thang! Still great for it.. still the machine
> of the future. [always has been, always will be.. :-)]
>
> -Jim
> --
>
> --
>  -Jim Becker / jcb@ncd.com   /   Network Computing Devices, Inc. (NCD)

Thanks, For Asking. I bundled a coupla thousand A1000's as (seemingly)
CA's first VAR. I had to explain to them that I was selling Scientific
and Medical Instruments, not Amiga's, per se. 8^)

Clyde
--
#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#--#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-##-Not even the smart cookies know how they will crumble - Wisom of the Cookies-##-Clyde W. Phillips Jr. FORTH plan Amiga Man Dead Fan Chicago Born GO BULLS!!!-##-South Shore Hyde Park NewTown Wicker Park Rogers Park Evanston I BEEN AROUND-##-Reach out to me at clyde@ihlpl.att.com or (708) 713-5365w or (708) 386-3147h-##-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#--#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#

rblewitt@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Richard Blewitt) (06/01/91)

In article <MELBY.91May31014312@daffy.yk.Fujitsu.CO.JP> melby@daffy.yk.Fujitsu.CO.JP (John B. Melby) writes:
><comments about Amiga omitted>

>#define flame
>This newsgroup is starting to look like a pep rally for some Amiga user
>group.  The comp.sys.amiga.* hierarchy is out there somewhere, for those
>who need to post such meaningless drivel.
>#undef flame

Well, thats because there are only ~20 comp.sys.amiga.* groups out
there, so we need to take over a few more :)

>It would be much more useful, IMHO, to take up issues such as the
>following:
>
>* is a multimedia interface really useful for projects of type Z on
>  system X?

When people ask them, they get asnwered.  Ask away if you have
questions.

>* the establishment of a list of Frequently Asked Questions about multimedia
>  implementation

Hard to do, since I don't think I've seen the same question asked
twice.

>* what multimedia formats are currently handled with existing software, and
>  on what machines?  (If there were a periodic list, as on comp.compression
>  and comp.graphics, that would be useful.)
>* kludges for exchanging multimedia mail between system A, system S,
>  system N, and so on...

These would definately be good things to add to this group.  And it
would make productive use of the bandwidth for a change.

Rick

_____________________________.sig____________________________________
The generic .sig          Rick Blewitt     rblewitt@ucsd.edu

jonwd@milton.u.washington.edu (Jon Wiederspan) (06/11/91)

LETS DROP ALL OF THE AMIGA:NEXT PENIS ENVY CRAP!

This is a channel for discussions of multimedia itself.  Discussions of
platform comparisions are only appropriate if it involves limitations
placed on a proposed project.  Does anyone out there have some RELEVANT
questions/answers?  I'm pretty disgusted with this newsgroup so far.

By the way, arcTANgent;  Haven't you got any friends to play with?
Probably not if all you do is brag about your Amiga.

Now for a REAL question:

I've been doing some silly little animations in Macromind Director 2.0
(making more interesting startups for my hypermedia applications).  I
heard there's a new version out that may have enough power to do some-
thing really serious with it.  However, Apple just announced it's
QuickTime stuff as well and I can only budget for one of the packages.
Does anyone have some experiences with either (preferably both) of these?

Also, Digidesign is sending out notices of an upgrade to their Audiomedia
application.  Any idea whether the upgrade is worth getting?  I don't
use any external tape decks or synthesizers, so I don't think added
functions in those areas will be much use to me.

Thanks VERY much for any useful information.

osborn@ux1.lbl.gov (James R Osborn) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun11.143911.11688@milton.u.washington.edu> jonwd@milton.u.washington.edu (Jon Wiederspan) writes:
>LETS DROP ALL OF THE AMIGA:NEXT PENIS ENVY CRAP!
>
>This is a channel for discussions of multimedia itself.  Discussions of
>platform comparisions are only appropriate if it involves limitations
>placed on a proposed project.  Does anyone out there have some RELEVANT
>questions/answers?  I'm pretty disgusted with this newsgroup so far.
>
>By the way, arcTANgent;  Haven't you got any friends to play with?
>Probably not if all you do is brag about your Amiga.

I agree.  I happen to be a Mac user and I think it's better than
alot of other stuff out there.  That doesn't mean I have to go
around bashing other platforms.  Besides if the !@#$%^&* Amiga is
!@#$%^&* hot, then why hasn't it dominated the market?  Maybe the
Amiga marketing dweebs are as big a jerks as arcTANgent...

> [...]
>
>Thanks VERY much for any useful information.

Sorry *THIS* isn't useful information, just moral support.

-- James
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
osborn@ux1.lbl.gov

mcc@moscom.UUCP (Mike Corbett) (06/13/91)

In article <14192@dog.ee.lbl.gov> osborn@ux1.lbl.gov (James R Osborn) writes:
> Besides if the !@#$%^&* Amiga is
>!@#$%^&* hot, then why hasn't it dominated the market?  Maybe the
>Amiga marketing dweebs are as big a jerks as arcTANgent...

You mean the Amiga isn't dominating the Video/Multimedia market?

--
      ///

manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) (06/13/91)

In article <14192@dog.ee.lbl.gov>, osborn@ux1.lbl.gov (James R Osborn) writes:
> In article <1991Jun11.143911.11688@milton.u.washington.edu> jonwd@milton.u.washington.edu (Jon Wiederspan) writes:
>>LETS DROP ALL OF THE AMIGA:NEXT PENIS ENVY CRAP!
>>
>>This is a channel for discussions of multimedia itself.  Discussions of
>>platform comparisions are only appropriate if it involves limitations
>>placed on a proposed project.  Does anyone out there have some RELEVANT
>>questions/answers?  I'm pretty disgusted with this newsgroup so far.

Which by the way; includes the multimedia machine -- Amiga.

>>By the way, arcTANgent;  Haven't you got any friends to play with?
>>Probably not if all you do is brag about your Amiga.
>
> I agree.  I happen to be a Mac user and I think it's better than
> alot of other stuff out there.  That doesn't mean I have to go
> around bashing other platforms.  Besides if the !@#$%^&* Amiga is
> !@#$%^&* hot, then why hasn't it dominated the market?  Maybe the
> Amiga marketing dweebs are as big a jerks as arcTANgent...

You didn't have too.... and yet you did!  Strange logic.

I think you can look at the above message and then understand why so
many Amiga people are the way they are.  You immediately start talking
about marketshare and downplay the Amiga because it doesn't have it.
I suspect that if you are talking 'multimedia' you might find that
the Amiga does have marketshare, though I don't have the numbers to
back the claim.

With a group like comp.multimedia, you _will_ hear about the Amiga.
Get used to it, it may open your formally closed eyes.  Amiga's and
Amiga owners are here to stay. :-)

The Amiga _does have_ very powerful multimedia capabilities.  That
is the undeniable truth.  Lets try to keep marketshare discussions
in the .advocacy groups.

On the other side,  I will have to read about Macromind on the Mac,
and the wonders of the various pieces of software for the PC.  I,
as the rest of the amiga community should, keep an open mind.

The point is...  be open to suggestion.  Marketshare has nothing to
do with capability, never has had anything to do with it, and it never
will.

> -- James
> Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
> osborn@ux1.lbl.gov

 -mark=

 +--------+   ==================================================
 | \/     |   Mark D. Manes   "The Most lopsided deal since ..."
 | /\  \/ |   manes@vger.nsu.edu
 |     /  |   (804) 683-2532    "Make up your own mind! - AMIGA"
 +--------+   ==================================================
 "I protest Captain!  I am not a merry man!" - Lt. Worf

arctngnt@amiganet.chi.il.us (Bowie J Poag) (06/14/91)

Wow... A wally from Washington dosent like seeing someone proud of their
machine. Oh well..

IVe seen your Mac, and it dosent impress me. IBM users, for instance, are
impressed easilly.. Because theyre used to antiquity. Sue me for putting it
terms you, and others can understand.

"The old in-and-out".
Arctangent

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Flicker turns me on.  -BJP | Get back into the SeX PiSToLs if you program in
Arctangent, Naperville IL. | C. It helps.  //
----------------------------             \X/ A M I G A !
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

arctngnt@amiganet.chi.il.us (Bowie J Poag) (06/14/91)

Yah know, I >was< going to honor the decision to quiet the NeXT/Amiga fight,
(AS PROPOSED 2 WEEKS AGO), but it seems a few Oxy-Infested la-bore-atory
freekz have chosen to pick it up again..

The AMiga hasnt dominated the market for several reasons: For one, the public
is generally ignorant. IBM's are obviously inferior to both NeXT, Amiga, and
Mac. But people buy them anyways. FOr every idiot who makes a bad decision,
and finds merit in it, hell go off and tell someone else to do the same.. That
other person, being a moron as well, is lead to believe that IBM is the one
and only. Wrong.

So the prepetual cycle of ignorance continues to this day. For me, theres no
difference between a user who goes out and gets an IBM, from a person who has
the intelligence to purchase a Coleco Adam. A bad decision is a bad decision.
Period. Ive used your platform, my platform, and one of the "high-end" EISA
towers at work, and there pretty much is a clear winner. As for NeXT, Ive
never used one to any lengthy degree, but I can say that its overpriced, and
undersupported. Dosent take a BS in Comp Sci to figure THAT out.. Hell, my mom
could tell you NeXT's werent worth it.

My advice to you is to pick up an Amiga sometimes. You seem ill-informed. Theh
mabye youll stop your >>>>>NeXT/Amiga whining.

Wise up, PLEASE. Save me the typing.
Arc
PS... As mentioned before, shoot me for knowing my system is an incredible
machine. Never degraded your Mac, did I? Will kiss your scientific-rump if you
can pull a feed where it shows I have.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

rdippold@capri.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) (06/16/91)

In article <arctngnt.6418@amiganet.chi.il.us> arctngnt@amiganet.chi.il.us (Bowie J Poag) writes:

>Yah know, I >was< going to honor the decision to quiet the NeXT/Amiga fight,
>(AS PROPOSED 2 WEEKS AGO), but it seems a few Oxy-Infested la-bore-atory
>freekz have chosen to pick it up again..
>[Continues fight he began a few days back with another nasty post]

And if the pattern holds, the next thing you'll do is go to the Amiga group
and express amazement that people seem to think that Amiga users are incredibly
arrogant antisocial assholes.  Yeah, you're really helping the cause.  Just
what we need to promote the Amiga.

--
Standard disclaimer applies, you legalistic hacks.     |     Ron Dippold

jcb@NCD.COM (Jim Becker) (06/18/91)

I hesitate to get involved in this, but here goes...

arctngnt@amiganet.chi.il.us (Bowie J Poag) writes:

    The AMiga hasnt dominated the market for several reasons: For one,
    the  public is generally ignorant. IBM's are obviously inferior to
    both  NeXT, Amiga, and Mac. But people buy them anyways. FOr every
    idiot who makes a bad decision, and finds merit in it, hell go off
    and  tell someone else to do the same.. That other person, being a
    moron  as  well,  is lead to believe that IBM is the one and only.
    Wrong.

No  --  you  are  wrong. The problem has been with the parent company,
Commodore  Business  Machines.  The  technology is great, and has been
great, for six years. However, CBM has not nurtured the  machine,  and
has in fact created the rut into which the Amiga has languished.

There were many people working for the success of the Amiga for years,
some of them doing Multimedia (myself included). Over time  developers
got frustrated at the antics and  lack  of  support  from  the  parent
company for their own machine. Hence most all of  the  original  Amiga
zealots  and supporters have changed over the years, replaced by those
that know nothing of the history of the machine - and why  it's  where
it is today.

There continue to be waves of Amiga zealots, and there should  be  for
the capability of the machine. However you will grow up and understand
why  the  NeXT  has  a  true chance of success for Multimedia, and the
Amiga doesn't. "Capability" and "potential" don't make the machine  --
success is a lot more complex than mere technical prowess and facts.

    So the prepetual cycle of ignorance continues to this day.

	[ ... ]
    								As for NeXT, Ive
    never used one to any lengthy degree, but I can say that its overpriced, and
    undersupported. Dosent take a BS in Comp Sci to figure THAT out.. Hell, my mom
    could tell you NeXT's werent worth it.

Well, your statement is self descriptive - it would seem.. :-)

    My advice to you is to pick up an Amiga sometimes. You seem ill-informed. Theh
    mabye youll stop your >>>>>NeXT/Amiga whining.

There are plenty of used ones available on the network.. I sold mine for $200.

BTW -- there are plenty of spell checkers on non-Amiga computers..

manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) (06/19/91)

In article <jcb.677187914@lupine>, jcb@NCD.COM (Jim Becker) writes:
> I hesitate to get involved in this, but here goes...
>
> arctngnt@amiganet.chi.il.us (Bowie J Poag) writes:
>
> [Overzealous Arctngnt posting deleted]
>
> No  --  you  are  wrong. The problem has been with the parent company,
> Commodore  Business  Machines.  The  technology is great, and has been
> great, for six years. However, CBM has not nurtured the  machine,  and
> has in fact created the rut into which the Amiga has languished.

I have been a Amiga supporter since 1985.  I have watched Commodore
change and grow from essentially a wreck to a real computer company.
I am so tired of the 'Commodore' bashing.  Yes, they could spend more
on advertising, and yes, overall the company could be managed better,
but they _have_ nurtured the machine.

Remember, management approves of the work done by engineering.   The
management of Commodore have not screwed up the Amiga technology.  In
fact, it has been improved.  Consider the Amiga 3000!

> There were many people working for the success of the Amiga for years,
> some of them doing Multimedia (myself included). Over time  developers
> got frustrated at the antics and  lack  of  support  from  the  parent
> company for their own machine. Hence most all of  the  original  Amiga
> zealots  and supporters have changed over the years, replaced by those
> that know nothing of the history of the machine - and why  it's  where
> it is today.

Can you give a decent example of support that you expect that you did
not get or is not available now?   CATS has been very supportive of my
efforts.

> There continue to be waves of Amiga zealots, and there should  be  for
> the capability of the machine. However you will grow up and understand
> why  the  NeXT  has  a  true chance of success for Multimedia, and the
> Amiga doesn't. "Capability" and "potential" don't make the machine  --
> success is a lot more complex than mere technical prowess and facts.

Giggle...

Let me see if I understand what you are saying.  You are saying that
because of  Commodore management that people are going to rush to the
NeXT for their multimedia needs?   I kinda doubt it.  I suspect that
all that will happen is that Bill Gate's nightmare that he calls
'multimedia' will get accepted by the blind masses.   Everytime I
think about the MMPC I simply want to toss my cookies.

The NeXT is in the same position as Commodore.  The NeXT does not
run MS/DOS, it has its own idea of a windowing system, and frankly
has just as bad marketing practices.

Now lets consider the machine:  NeXT has a 'bastard' machine that
costs too much and is not supported enough to make people say "Yes,
the NeXT is the solution", instead they are saying "At this price,
why not buy a Sun?"

Don't start singing 'educational discount' as the people that will
use multimedia for commercial uses will not qualify for this
discount.

I think Commodore has carefully put the A3000 in the position so that
the question of "Why not buy a Sun?" is not asked.  NeXT has missed
the concept of 'value for the dollar' and that is not surprising
considering the heritage of management.

>     So the prepetual cycle of ignorance continues to this day.

That we agree on.

> 	[ ... ]
>
>     My advice to you is to pick up an Amiga sometimes. You seem ill-informed. Theh
>     mabye youll stop your >>>>>NeXT/Amiga whining.
>
> There are plenty of used ones available on the network.. I sold mine for $200.

I see your true colors show.  You are a ex-A1000 owner.   That explains a lot
of your message.  I also have a A1000, and had it since 1985.  It is a nice
machine.   I certainly will admit that the A1000 did not see the same support
that the rest of the Amiga line has.

Take another look, the Commodore of 1986 does not exist anymore.