[comp.multimedia] High-end Scanners - Recommendations Wanted

sigma@sun.ipl.rpi.edu (Kevin Martin) (06/18/91)

The company I'm working with is interested in a high-end scanning system
which will provide fast OCR as well as image scanning.  The Calera CDP 9000
is promising, but for a round total of $40K or so (with workstation) it
seems to only offer black&white scans at 300 dpi.  A scanner with higher
resolution and/or grayscale or color would be preferred.

Does anyone with experience in this area have any recommendations or
pointers to companies which have models in this arena?  We're talking about
a system which would ultimately serve an entire plant if possible, with
someone working constantly doing OCR and image scanning for people in
various departments.

We'd also like to find something which has a chance of working with the
Calera TopScan Professional interface card.  We use that with the Hewlett-
Packard ScanJet Plus as a solution on a smaller scale.

Thanks for any info, PLEASE e-mail as I cannot read regularly.

--
Kevin Martin
sigma@ipl.rpi.edu

scott@hsvaic.boeing.com (Scott Hinckley) (06/19/91)

In <qr#l3x-@rpi.edu> sigma@sun.ipl.rpi.edu (Kevin Martin) writes:

>The company I'm working with is interested in a high-end scanning system
>which will provide fast OCR as well as image scanning.  The Calera CDP 9000

OCR is usually done in the computer software, rather than the scanner.

>Calera TopScan Professional interface card.  We use that with the Hewlett-
>Packard ScanJet Plus as a solution on a smaller scale.

At the Exponent (University of Alabama, Huntsville, newspaper) we use
the ScanJet with excellent results when scanning B&W pictures and line
drawings. We do use it to scan text, but do not do OCR as we are just
pasting the text onto a newspaper page.

--
<<<<<<<<<<<Scott Hinckley<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>VW&Apple][Forever!!!>>>>>>>>>>
Internet:scott@hsvaic.boeing.com | UUCP:...!uw-beaver!bcsaic!hsvaic!scott