[comp.multimedia] Multimedia / Interactive Publications

rubin@media-lab.media.mit.edu.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Ben Rubin) (04/25/91)

Can anyone direct me toward publications (journals, magazines,
newsletters, etc.) which focus on multimedia / interactive video
technology and applications?  I'd also be interested in knowing
about conferences on these topics.

Thanks!

Ben Rubin        ( rubin@media-lab.media.mit.edu )

sjm@brahms.udel.edu (Steve Morris) (04/29/91)

newMEDIA age
PO Box 1771
Riverton NJ 08077-9771

Started out as a Mac only publication, but quickly was reorganized
(by the 2nd issue) as a general multimedia publication. Looks
good. Subscription cost is $24 /year.

Steve

schwartz@anaxagoras.ils.nwu.edu (Diane Schwartz) (05/10/91)

In article <5726@media-lab.media.mit.edu.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>,
rubin@media-lab.media.mit.edu.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Ben Rubin) writes:
> Can anyone direct me toward publications (journals, magazines,
> newsletters, etc.) which focus on multimedia / interactive video
> technology and applications?  I'd also be interested in knowing
> about conferences on these topics.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ben Rubin        ( rubin@media-lab.media.mit.edu )

There's lots of multimedia publications out there.  MacWeek always
seems to have interesting multimedia info.  A great magazine that
I just started getting is called New Media Age (the publisher's
number is 415.573.5170 - and new media professionals (whatever
that means) get it free).   It appears that just about any computer
magazine (geared towards Macs, Unix machines, or even graphics
applications - which are most of the magazines that I get) has
some section on multimedia.

-diane

(* (* (* (* (* (* (* (* (* (* (* (* (* (* (* (* (* (* (* (* (* (* (*
(*diane schwartz ---> schwartz@ils.nwu.edu                        (*
(*                    institute for the learning sciences         (*
(*                    northwestern university                     (*
(*                                                                (*
(*"Badges?!  We don't need no stinkin' badges!" - Blazing Saddles (*
(* (* (* (* (* (* (* (* (* (* (* (* (* (* (* (* (* (* (* (* (* (* (*

jjb@hpdtczb.HP.COM (Jim Brewer) (05/30/91)

In comp.multimedia, rubin@media-lab.media.mit.edu.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Ben Rubin) utters:

> Can anyone direct me toward publications (journals, magazines,
> newsletters, etc.) which focus on multimedia / interactive video
> technology and applications?  I'd also be interested in knowing
> about conferences on these topics.
>
> Thanks!

There are several publications published by Multimedia Computing Corp.
3501 Ryder St., Santa Clara, CA 95051 800-229-4750

"Multimedia Computing and Presentations" is a monthly report for industry
professionals focusing on market and product strategies.  The report is now
in its third year of publication and the main analyst is company president
Nick Arnett.

"Mind Over Media" is the "how to" report for multimedia producers.  In it
you will find case studies, new products, a calendar of events, legal
info., and much more.  Paid subscriptions also receive "The Business
Chronicles" audio disc about CD ROM free.

Multimedia Computing Corp. also has a workbook series, an "International
Directory of Interactive Mutlimedia Producers", a legal survival guide and
is currently working on a health care training & marketing study.

Another place you can look for information is on CompuServe under "Go
Multimedia!".  It is a new forum which will have listings of conferences,
training seminars and other events of interest to anyone using multimedia
as well as on-line experts to answer your tough multimedia questions.  If
you do not have CompuServe already, call Multimedia Computing Corp. for a
free introductory kit with $15 worth of free log-on time.

If you would like more info., or would like to receive a sample copy
of one of the subscriptions, call 800-229-4750 or 408-737-7575.

Standard disclaimer:
  I'm not associated with Multimedia Comp. Corp. and don't stand to profit
from their sales.

 jjb

dbg@sinix.UUCP (David George) (06/13/91)

In article <5726@media-lab.media.mit.edu.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>,
rubin@media-lab.media.mit.edu.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Ben Rubin) writes:
> Can anyone direct me toward publications (journals, magazines,
> newsletters, etc.) which focus on multimedia / interactive video
> technology and applications?  I'd also be interested in knowing
> about conferences on these topics.

Try:
Audio Visual (the multi-media communications magazine)
Maclaren House
Scarbrook Road
Croydon
Surrey
CR9 1QH
England
Tel: 081-760-9690

Published Monthly, Subscription Rate 50 pounds overseas.

In the Feb issue it covered MIT media-lab's "Grinning Evil Death" V.R. video,
Interactive EPOS systems,  Professional DAT...

David.

DCraft@Adobe.com (Dan Craft) (06/14/91)

In article <5726@media-lab.media.mit.edu.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>,
rubin@media-lab.media.mit.edu.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Ben Rubin) writes:
> Can anyone direct me toward publications (journals, magazines,
> newsletters, etc.) which focus on multimedia / interactive video
> technology and applications?  I'd also be interested in knowing
> about conferences on these topics.

I picked up a copy of "New Media Age" at the recent Digital World Conference in
L.A.  I was reasonably impressed.  The contents for the June issue include:
  QuickTime and Multimedia Windows
  Polaroid CI-5000: File Recorder with Multiple Cameras
  Ulysses: Creating a New Hope for Education
  American Airlines: The Interactive Training Advantage
  Special Report: IBM, Mac and Amiga - the Perfect Multimedia Studio
  Tandy Ships the First MPCs [Multimedia PCs] to Developers
  Interview: MIT's Glorianna Davenport
  IBM to Add Touchscreen for Under $50
  Apple Ships New System
  Giving Video the Look of Film
  Multimedia Hits the Mall

A year's subscription is $24 with the card in this issue, normally $36.  Their
address is
  New Media Age
  P O Box 5948
  San Mateo, CA 94402-9847

--Dan Craft  <DCraft@Adobe.com>

chrisl@cbmvax.commodore.com (Christian Ludwig - CATS) (06/14/91)

>In article <5726@media-lab.media.mit.edu.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>,
>rubin@media-lab.media.mit.edu.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Ben Rubin) writes:
>> Can anyone direct me toward publications (journals, magazines,
>> newsletters, etc.) which focus on multimedia / interactive video
>> technology and applications?  I'd also be interested in knowing
>> about conferences on these topics.

Try:
NewMedia Age (Technologies for the Professional Communicator)
Hypermedia Communications Inc. (HCI)
901 Mariners Island Blvd.
Suite 365
San Mateo, CA 94404

voice (415) 573-5170
fax   (415) 573-5131

13 issues per year - Volume 1 Number 1 was March 1991.

"...free to qualifed "new media professionals in the US."

For those who do not qualify...
US$36 per year in US, US$70/yr Canada/Mexico, all else $100/yr

April issue articles...

"Is D*I Future Perfect or Past Tense?"

"Has A**le dropped the Multimedia ball?"

"All I Needed to Know About Software Publishers, I Learned in Kindergarten"

etc.

Hope you quailfy!  ;-)

     ///
    /// The opinions expressed may not reflect the official position of my employer.
\\\///  (Of course that depends on which position they're in!)
 \XX/

ian@ossian.turing.ac.uk (Ian Watson) (06/17/91)

In article <5726@media-lab.media.mit.edu.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>,
rubin@media-lab.media.mit.edu.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Ben Rubin) writes:
> Can anyone direct me toward publications (journals, magazines,
> newsletters, etc.) which focus on multimedia / interactive video
> technology and applications?  I'd also be interested in knowing
> about conferences on these topics.

Try

MultiMedia
Monthly

Published by EMAP Business & Computer Publications
Priory Court
30-32 Farringdon Lane
 London EC1R 3AU

viking@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Jon W. Backstrom) (06/20/91)

In article <5726@media-lab.media.mit.edu.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>,
rubin@media-lab.media.mit.edu.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Ben Rubin) writes:
> Can anyone direct me toward publications (journals, magazines,
> newsletters, etc.) which focus on multimedia / interactive video
> technology and applications?

Another timely publication is "Multimedia & Videodisc Monitor"
(formerly The Videodisc Monitor) which is a relatively expensive
newsletter ($277/yr).  Although expensive, it covers the world of
multimedia from the developers perspective with a great deal of
insight and forethought.

It's also been around for 8 years and is available at most univeristy
libraries.  Try writing or calling the editorial office for a sample
copy.

Multimedia & Videodisc Monitor
P.O. Box 28
Falls Church, VA  22040

Phone  (703) 241-1799
  Fax  (703) 532-0529

** Disclaimer **

  I contribute to this publication as the Technical Editor, although I
  receive *no* monetary compensation.  (In other words, I'm not trying
  to solicit subcriptions...I have no financial interest in this.)

Jon W. Backstrom		Internet: viking@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Applied Digital Arts
Post Office Box 986
Urbana, IL  61801-0986

chrisl@cbmvax.commodore.com (Christian Ludwig - CATS) (06/21/91)

In article <5726@media-lab.media.mit.edu.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>,
rubin@media-lab.media.mit.edu.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Ben Rubin) writes:
> Can anyone direct me toward publications (journals, magazines,
> newsletters, etc.) which focus on multimedia / interactive video
> technology and applications?

Earlier I posted info about NewMedia Age.  My article quoted the
April 91 issue's pricing scheme, which indicated that the
magazine could be had for "free" to qualified "new media
professionals."

I received email from someone who had called NewMedia Age, and
unfortunately, they are no longer giving them away.

Oh well, I just got my June issue (which still says you can get
it free) (magazine lead time is an amazing thing ;-).

In case you missed the original post, here's the info for this
pretty good (IMHO) magazine.

NewMedia Age
P.O. Box 5948
San Mateo, CA 94402-9847

voice: (415)-573-5170
fax:   (415)-573-5131

One year (12 issues) -
In US, US$36
in Canada & Mexico, US$70
other foreign countries, US$100

Since this issue still has the "free" bit, the rest of the prices may
be wrong as well.  MO - call first.

     ///
    /// The opinions expressed may not reflect the position of my employer.