[comp.lang.vhdl] monthly posting including intro to comp.lang.vhdl

dettmer@jupiter.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Thomas Dettmer) (01/10/91)

This is a regular posting to comp.lang.vhdl
Please send additional information directly to the editor:
dettmer@jupiter.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Thomas Dettmer)
Last edited: January 10, 1991

This is (a very incomplete) version of a monthly posting
to comp.lang.vhdl. Corrections and suggestions are appreciated.
My idea for the future is to split this into three seperated parts:
A. general informations, abbreviations, frequently asked questions, contacts
   (more or less constant information)
B. books (please help)
C. tools (only adresses and short descriptions - discussion about the
   quality, cost and other aspects are free to the group)
Please let me know your corrections/extensions ...

Contents
0. General Information/Introduction
1. Abreviationes
2. Official Contacts
3. Books on VHDL
4. Products

0. General Information/Introduction

The newsgroup comp.lang.vhdl was created in January 1990. It's an
international forum to discuss ALL topics related to the language VHDL which
is actually defined by the IEEE Standard 1076/87 (current version - may
change in 1992). Included are language problems, tools that only support
subsets etc. NOT other languages such as Verilog HDL. This is not strict -
if there is the need to discuss information exchange from EDIF to VHDL for
example, this is a topic of the group. The group is unmoderated. Please
think carefully before posting - it costs a lot of money! (Take a look into
your LRM for example - if you still cannot find the answer, post your
question, but make sure, that other readers will get the point).
A chapter for frequently asked questions about the language will later be
added to this regulary posted information - as they appear on the net. If
necessary for the amount of information, this posting will possibly be split
into seperate postings for each chapter.

Before posting
- read this article - it possibly anwers your questions
- question about the language: try to find out in your LRM

1. Abreviationes

BBS: 	Bulletin Board System
DoD: 	USA Department of Defense
IEEE: 	The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engeneers
	In case of VHDL, they defined the standard 1076
LRM:	Language Reference Manual
TISSS: 	Tester Independent Support Software System
VHDL: 	VHSIC Hardware Description Language
VHSIC: 	Very High Speed Integrated Circuits - A program of the DoD
VUG: 	VHDL User's group. See below.
WAVES:  Waveform Vector and Exchange Specification, proposed IEEE Standard

2. Official Contacts

VHDL User's group.
    They organize conferences, send a newsletter (paper) and have some
    other activities. The general contact is:
  USA
    VHDL User's Group
    3145 Geary Boulevard, Suite 123
    San Francisco, CA 94118-3316
    U.S.A.
    (415) 329-8673 (Voice information/mailbox)
    (415) 329-8649 (Electronic BBS)
    BBS can be dialed up at any baud rate (soon to expand to 9600 MNP5 from
    2400), parity, or start/stop bit settings.
    (415) 324-3150 (FAX)
    (415) 329-0510 (Human -- if you really have too!)
    Chair of the VUG is
        Randolph E. Harr, C.A.D.onomist, (408) 984-5952
    There are chapters of the VUG (e.g. an european) - send me information
    that I'm able to publish it.

VHDL Newsletter
    Editor of the US Newsletter:
    Rachael Rusting
        Phone +1 617 661 1840, FAX +1 617 868-2843
        email: rmr@inmet.inmet.com
    Fred Hinchcliffe
        Phone: (301) 963-5200
  Europe
    Editor of the European Newsletter
        J. Mermet, J. Rouillard
	Phone: 3+91 05 44 44, FAX 33+91 05 43 43
	Institut Mediterraneen de Technologie
	Technopole de Chateau-Gombert
	13415 Marseille cedex -FRANCE-

mailing list/ftp adresses
    Mail items of interest to info-vhdl@uceng.uc.edu. (the last newsletter
    said VHDL@uceng.uc.edu ??)
    Mail a request to be added to the group of registered news subscribers
    to info-vhdl-request@uceng.uc.edu.
    One can access the files online by "ftp"ing to account
    anonymous@uceng.uc.edu.
    WAVES/TISSS infos account anonymouos@tiss.radc.af.mil,
    is anonymous@131.5.3.1

This regular posting
    Thomas Dettmer, University of Dortmund, Dept. of Computer Science I
    Box 50 05 00
    W-4600 Dortmund 50 (Germany)
    Phone: +49-231 755 4825,  FAX: +49-231 755 2386
    email: dettmer@jupiter.informatik.uni-dortmund.de

3. Books on VHDL

VHDL Standard Language Reference Manual, IEEE Std-1076-1987
    IEEE Press
    <where can I get ...?is CLSI the appropriate adress?>
The VHDL Handbook, David Coelho (Vantage Analysis Systems)
    Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1989
Chip Level Modelling in VHDL, J. Armstrong
    Addison-Wesley, 1988
An Introduction to VHDL: Hardware Description and Design, Lippstedt,
    Schaeffer, Ussery
    Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1989

4. Products:

This list is currently very incomplete - please help to update it.
This list is without any guarantie to be complete or correct. It is included
to enable contacts to vendors. It does not contain version, quality or price
informations. Possibly some more information will be added later.
(state information unknown means not to be sure wether a product is on the
market or not)

Ascent Technology, Inc.
2433 Villa Nueva
Mountain View, CA 94040
phone: (415)940-1550, FAX (408)722-2017
     MetaView : basic design environment to be customized
     VHDL/DA :  Design Assistant (VHDL/DA) : MetaView based environment
               for design management, structure editing, browsing, state
               machine editing, architectur editing source code
               transformation ( for synthesis )
     state : Release 1 announced for April 91

CAD Language Systems, Inc.
    USA
    15245 Shady Grove Road, Suite 310
    Rockville, MD 20850
    Phone: (301) 963-5200
    Europe:
    Rosedale House
    Rosedale Road
    Richmond, Surrey TW9 2SZ, UK
    Phone: +44 81 332 0192, FAX: +44 81 948 8263
    VTIP		virtual tool integration platform state available
    <name?>		simulation code generator (no kernel) state unknown

Cadence
    <adress?>
    unknown

Dasix
    <adress?>
    unknown

Intermetrics
    733 Concord Ave.
    Cambridge, MA 02 138
    phone: (671)-1840  FAX: (671) 868-2843
    email: cms@inmet.inmet.com (C. M. Schmitz)
    VHDL Design Environment	simulation system SUN/DEC
    University Program

Model Technology Inc.
    15455 N. W. Greenbrier Parkway, Suite 210
    Beaverton, OR 97006 USA
    Phone: +1 (503) 690-6838, FAX: +1 (503) 690-2093,
    BBS: +1 (503) 690-0635
    V-System/PC			PC based simulator state: available
    				windows based version announced for 12'90

Mentor Graphics
    2045 Hamilton Ave
    San Jose, CA 95125-6199
    Phone: 408-371-2900, FAX 408-559-4916
    VHDL Vision/Mentor System 1076 	simulation, synthesis, state unknown

Pittsburgh University of [PD/SW?]
    <who can say more about this?>
    analyzer/simulator and sources (?) ftp?

Swedish Intstitute of Microelectronics
    Box 1084
    S-164 21 Kista -SWEDEN-
    phone: +46 8-752 1000 FAX: +46 8-750 8056
    (as far as I know, marketing is done by some other, private company)
    MINT		multi-level interactive simulation system

Synopsis/ZyCad
    1380 Willow Road
    Menlo Park, CA 94025
    <Phone? FAX?>
    System VHDL		simulator/editor

Valid
    <adress?>
    <name?>		simulator

ZyCad s. Synopsis

I know there are more - please send me your information and correct me for
errors.

dettmer@jupiter.ls1.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
phone: +49-231 755 4825, FAX: +49-231 755 2386
Thomas Dettmer, Dortmund University, Computer Science I
Post Box 50 05 00, W-4600 Dortmund 50, Germany

craig@synopsys.com (Craig Cochran) (01/16/91)

In article <628@synopsys.COM> craig@synopsys.com (Craig Cochran) writes:

>Synopsys, Inc.
>1098 Alta Avenue
>Mountain View, CA 94043
>USA
>Phone: (415)962-7091
>FAX:   (415)965-8637
>Products:   VHDL Synthesis, VHDL Simulation

Whoops!!  The phone number I listed in that posting is NOT the main Synopsys
number, but someone's extension.  Please DO NOT use it.

The correct Phone number for Synopsys is:  (415)962-5000

--
Craig Cochran
Product Marketing Manager                email: craig@synopsys.com