[comp.lang.vhdl] Model Technology VHDL compiler for pc

danf@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dante Fabrizio) (01/23/91)

Is anyone using Model Technologies VHDL compilers/simulators.
There are 2 avialable. V-Systems/PC for DOS based systems and
V-Systems/Windows which runs in Windows 3.0.

Can these be used simulate something on the level of 386
microprocessor based system.

All recommendations/advice welcome.

Thanks

Dante Fabrizio
Commodore Business Machines

--
 __      __
|__)    (__`
|  \ick ,__)terling
Test Engineering
Commodore Technology Group  (215)-431-9275
UUCP ...{uunet,allegra,rutgers}!cbmvax!sterling

dettmer@jupiter.uucp (Thomas Dettmer) (01/24/91)

In article <17923@cbmvax.commodore.com> danf@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dante Fabrizio) writes:
>Is anyone using Model Technologies VHDL compilers/simulators.
>There are 2 avialable. V-Systems/PC for DOS based systems and
>V-Systems/Windows which runs in Windows 3.0.
We are actually starting to use the first one. I would be very astonished,
if the second one is available - we wanted to get this stuff but Model
Technologies did send us the non-windows version until the other one is ready.

>Can these be used simulate something on the level of 386
>microprocessor based system.
Depends hardly on the level of description, I think. If I remember
correctly, Model T... says, models up to 10.000 lines (but depending on the
model -generate statements will reduce this number for example-) of source
code will run.
tom.

dettmer@jupiter.ls1.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
phone: +49-231 755 4825, FAX: +49-231 755 2386
Thomas Dettmer, Dortmund University, Computer Science I
Post Box 50 05 00, W-4600 Dortmund 50, Germany

doran@cbnewsk.att.com (robert.l.doran) (01/26/91)

In article <17923@cbmvax.commodore.com> danf@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dante Fabrizio) writes:
>Is anyone using Model Technologies VHDL compilers/simulators.
>There are 2 avialable. V-Systems/PC for DOS based systems and
>V-Systems/Windows which runs in Windows 3.0.

We recently purchased the V-System/PC compiler.  I don't think the windows
version is available yet.

>Can these be used simulate something on the level of 386
>microprocessor based system.

From the Technical Description from Model Technology:
"System Capacity
  Depending on the code, you can expect at least 1000 lines before
  the 640K PC memory limit is reached.  If the whole design is modeled
  at the structural level, designs of around 300 gates are possible."

So if you plan on simulating the 386 at the gate level, you probably
will run out of memory.  :-)

(The Windows version will not have the 640 K limit)

>All recommendations/advice welcome.

I really didn't spend enough time with the system to get a good feeling
about all its capabilities.  The system is not 100% VHDL compatible; some
code that I have been using with the Intermetrics VHDL system would not
work on the PC.  In a few weeks, I may be able to tell you more.

Bob Doran