[comp.lang.vhdl] VHDL public domain software

cees@maestro.htsa.aha.nl (Cees Keyer) (01/31/91)

Hello netlanders,

We are trying to set up a course in VHDL.
So we would like to have a overview on the software
which is available in the Public Domain.
So if any one knows about PD software which can handle VHDl
circuit descriptions and simulate or parse them please let me know.
I'll post an article with the replies I'll get.

Thanks in advance,
Cees Keyer.
--
Ach, ik ben slechts een a-modieus wezen, gedrenkt in de pap der tijden.
Cees Keyer, Algemene Hogeschool Amsterdam.  | fax: (+31) 20-443215

cees@maestro.htsa.aha.nl (Cees Keyer) (02/11/91)

Netlanders,
Here is the summary on the VHDL public domain software request.

--
dettmer@jupiter.ls1.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
phone: +49-231 755 4825, FAX: +49-231 755 2386

____________________________NEXT_______________________________________

From: pmayor@cat.syr.edu (Pankaj Mayor)

Try the toolset from University of Pittsburgh.
For more info write to vhdl@ee.pitt.edu.

From uucp Thu Jan 31 20:15:18 1991

From: Suresh Rajgopal <rajgopal@cs.unc.edu>

I am aware of a VHDL parser written in Prolog which can
also be used to answer simple design queries. It is public domain.
The person who wrote it can be reached at:
 quintus!pbr@sun.com

His name: Peter Reintjes

Cheers

-Suresh
____________________________NEXT_______________________________________

From: David C Blight <blight@eeserv.ee.umanitoba.ca>

University of Manitoba has developed a VHDL program
which accepts VHDL structural descriptions and
produces EDIF netlist which are used with the Cadence
IC design software. Soon the software will support
XILINX (programable gate arrays) designs.

Behavioral simulation is supported for a subset
of the VHDL language (enough to simulate structural
descriptions). The programs may soon be expanded to
cover the rest of the language.

Information may be obtained from blight@eeserv.ee.umanitoba.ca
--
David C Blight                               blight@ee.umanitoba.ca
Dept of Electrical and Computer Engineering  (204) 261-3919

____________________________NEXT_______________________________________

From: John.Willis@FAS.RI.CMU.EDU

I am in the testing phase for Auriga, an optimizing compiler for parallel
simulation of VHDL.  Auriga is based on the GNU C compiler machine dependent
components.  A validated version should be available for use by September of
1991.  If you provide a physical mail address, I will send reprints and put
you on our mailing list.

-John

____________________________NEXT_______________________________________

From: Gordon Newell <newell@Corona.ITD.MsState.Edu>

I saw your posting on info-vlsi, and although I do not
know of any public-domain VHDL software (analyzer and
simulator), we do have a set of VHDL SSI models available
to the public (as Mr. Barton said).  I'm including with
this message some information about the models.

I do believe, however, that the MCC simulator is available
to universities for a very small charge.  Bill Read is in
charge of the MCC simulator.  Here is his address:

Bill Read               MCC VHDL Simulator                       (512)338-3513
Bill Read               3500 W. Valcones Center Dr.
Bill Read               Austin, TX 78759
Bill Read               Email : read@mcc.com

                                  _______
                                 /       |
================================/        |===================================
| Gordon Newell                 /Starkville  Internet:newell@itd.msstate.edu|
| VHDL Modeling Group          /       * |   Phone:   (601)325-2240         |
| Institute for Technology Dev \         |   FAX:     (601)325-8144         |
| 1 Research Blvd               |        |                                  |
| Starkville, MS 39759          /        |                                  |
===============================/         |===================================
                              |______    |
                                    /    |
                                    \____|

                                 VHDL SSI TTL

                               Component Library

                                 Revision 2.1

                                available from:

                   The Institute for Technology Development
                     Center for Military Replacement Parts
                              VHDL Modeling Group

	Component Library Models:

	AM2901C         SN54368         SN5438
	SN54LS00        SN54LS04        SN54LS109
	SN54LS112       SN54LS161       SN54S00
	SN54S02         SN54S04         SN54S08
	SN54S11         SN54S112        SN54S138
	SN54S140        SN54S175        SN54S251
	SN54S280        SN54S86

	Modeling Standards:

	VHDL Data Item Description                      DI-EGDS-80811
	Waveform And Vector Exchange Specification      WAVES PAR 1029.1/D1

 	Model Features:

	Full Timing Modules
	WAVES Test Benches
	Proposed IEEE 9-State Multi-Valued Logic System

	Component Library Cost:

	$25 tape shipping and handling fee
	($50 for shipments outside the U.S.)

	Contact:

	Gordon Newell
	ITD/VHDL Modeling Group
	1 Research Blvd.
	Starkville, MS 39759

	(601)325-2240
	Email: newell@itd.msstate.edu

                     The Institute for Technology Development
                       Center for Military Replacement Parts
                               VHDL Modeling Group

                VHDL SSI TTL Component Model Library Order Form

                     $25.00 tape shipping and handling fee
                    ($50.00 for shipments outside the U.S.)

 Name:          __________________________________________________

 Title:         __________________________________________________

 Company:       __________________________________________________

 Address:       __________________________________________________

 Phone:         __________________________________________________

 email address: __________________________________________________

 Tape Media:     1/4" cartridge____   1/2" reel-to-reel____   ARPANET____

 Revision:       2.1

 Tape Format:    UNIX tar

 Payable to:     Institute for Technology Development
                 1 Research Blvd.
                 Starkville, MS 39759

                 attn: Gordon Newell
                 (601)325-2240

____________________________NEXT_______________________________________

} A real good source is the package of basic gates distributed for a
} copying charge by ITD, associated with Mississippi State in
} Starkville, Miss.  Not only is this a good selection of basic gates,
} but it conforms to the preliminary standards under consideration by
} the EIA and the modeling standards committee of the IEEE DASS.
} Contact ITD at Starkville (I do not have the number; try long distance
} information).
}
} 						Dave Barton
} 						barton@i2wash.com
}-- End of excerpt from davidb@inmet.inmet.com

Our VHDL modelling group here at ITD is headed by Scott Calhoun.
You can reach him through email by jscott@itd.msstate.edu
or by phone: (601)-325-8356

* Robert Miller (socrates@itd.msstate.edu)                     *
* CAD/System Administrator                                     *
* Institute for Technology Development                         *
* Advanced MicroElectronics Division                           *
* 1 Research Blvd. Suite 205.                                  *
* Starkville, Ms. 39759                                        *

These are the replies i've got.
Some replies i've left out because the were refering to the same software.

Thanks again for all the replies

Cees Keyer.