[comp.lang.vhdl] insert design entities in lib STD?

dettmer@jupiter.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Thomas Dettmer) (02/25/91)

Hello,

a question to LRM experts(?):
Packages STANDARD and TEXTIO may not be redefined by the user and reside in
library STD.
Is it permitted to add other 'local standard' packages in library STD?

Did I miss something in the LRM?

(I'd not do this; I think it's a bad programming style like extending
system headers of a C system, but all beginners try to do it here(!)).

tom.
dettmer@jupiter.ls1.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
phone: +49-231 755 4825, FAX: +49-231 755 2386
Thomas Dettmer, Dortmund University, Computer Science I
Post Box 50 05 00, W-4600 Dortmund 50, Germany

savel@hoss.unl.edu (Bharat P. Savel) (02/26/91)

In article <3042@laura.UUCP> dettmer@jupiter.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Thomas Dettmer) writes:
>Hello,
>
>a question to LRM experts(?):
>Packages STANDARD and TEXTIO may not be redefined by the user and reside in
>library STD.
>Is it permitted to add other 'local standard' packages in library STD?
>
>Did I miss something in the LRM?
---------------
wouldn't try it if i were you; crashed the sytem when i did that; on the
other hand cannot confirm/deny that it cannot be done
Bharat P. Savel
EE Dept.                                       E-mail : savel@hoss.unl.edu
Univ of Nebraska-Lincoln                           Ph : (402) 477-9857

jackg@bears.uscb.edu (Jack Greenbaum) (02/26/91)

|> In article <3042@laura.UUCP> dettmer@jupiter.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Thomas Dettmer) writes:
|> >Hello,
|> >
|> >a question to LRM experts(?):
|> >Packages STANDARD and TEXTIO may not be redefined by the user and reside in
|> >library STD.
|> >Is it permitted to add other 'local standard' packages in library STD?
|> >
|> >Did I miss something in the LRM?

We use MCC VHDL v3.1. I was able to add the IEEE proposed standard
multivalue logic package to the library STD, where it happily lives.

Jack Greenbaum      |UC Santa Barbara
jackg@bears.ucsb.edu|Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Box 253
(805) 893-4461      |Santa Barbara, Ca. 93106, USA