[comp.lang.vhdl] intermediate VHDL representation/VTIP

dettmer@jupiter.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Thomas Dettmer) (02/25/91)

Hello,

Does anybody out there know, if there are plans to make an ANSI or C++
interface for CLSI's VTIP (SPI)? I've heard some rumors, but nothing seems
to be sure.
Background: We are using InterViews (a X11/C++ based graphic library) in
some projects but we are not planning to build an analyzer. Therefore it
would be very useful to use the CLSI software, but it's a lot of work to
produce a C++ interface (headerfiles) for SPI.

Another question related to this one: what will be the base to define a
standard of the intermediate VHDL representation - a concrete language as C
or ANSI C or something more abstract?

And another question: As far as I can see from systems available to us, it
seems not to be possible to build a set of basic libraries and simply use
them in several designs/places. To make it more clearly:
The lib/data managers of the systems need one directory where all the data of
a design must be stored, including basic libs as STD or basic cells.
On the other hand, I'd prefer separated environments/directories for each
design project. Disadvantages are:
1. The whole basic stuff has to be copied (and reanalyzed).
2. After copying the basic libs, they are stuff of the designer - updates to
   my base have no effect and they are no longer write protected.
(What I would like to have is something like -I and -L in C compilers.)
Is something like this planned - or is it impossible, because the data
management needs pointer like "used by"? Or am I wrong and there are systems
which do act in this way?

Thanks for answers
tom.
dettmer@jupiter.ls1.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
phone: +49-231 755 4825, FAX: +49-231 755 2386
Thomas Dettmer, Dortmund University, Computer Science I
Post Box 50 05 00, W-4600 Dortmund 50, Germany

marshall@manse.cs.man.ac.uk (Robert Marshall) (03/12/91)

In article <3040@laura.UUCP>, dettmer@jupiter.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
    (Thomas Dettmer) writes:
> Does anybody out there know, if there are plans to make an ANSI or C++
> interface for CLSI's VTIP (SPI)? I've heard some rumors, but nothing seems
> to be sure.
> Background: We are using InterViews (a X11/C++ based graphic library) in
> some projects but we are not planning to build an analyzer. Therefore it
> would be very useful to use the CLSI software, but it's a lot of work to
> produce a C++ interface (headerfiles) for SPI.
>
> Another question related to this one: what will be the base to define a
> standard of the intermediate VHDL representation - a concrete language as C
> or ANSI C or something more abstract?
> ..
I hoped there would be some response to this, but having seen none I feel
obliged to say something(!)

I spent some time partially converting the VIFASG 1076 VHDL Version 1.00
schema definition into C++ classes with the intention of hiding the constructor
definitions into various analyser specific include files.
It was great for discovering bugs in C++ compilers, at the moment I'm trying
to link these classes into the CLSI system with some remaining problems (mostly
connected with Sun shared libraries and g++)

On the actual standard interface all that anyone seems ready to commit
themselves to is a procedural interface, I don't know whether the schema
defined in the document is a dead duck, what was said at Oakland in October?
Various things were promised at EuroVHDL in September but I  heard no more.

Robert

If anything was said on this (in comp.lang.vhdl) that the uk missed
I'd be grateful if you could send a resume
Robert A.J.Marshall,		EMAIL: rmarshall@cs.man.ac.uk
Room 3.08, IT Building, Department of Computer Science,
University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PL, U.K.
Tel: (+44) 61-275 6269          Fax: (+44) 61-275 6280