[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] To start off with... GIF to IFF

jon@brahms.udel.edu (Jon Deutsch) (01/09/91)

In article <1991Jan9.081253.3104@Neon.Stanford.EDU> farrar@Neon.Stanford.EDU (David S. Farrar) writes:
>1.  What kinds of GIF->IFF convertors are there out there?
>2.  What kind of limitations do they have (pessimist here)
>3.  Where can they be found?
>4.  What kind of Amiga format do they convert to?  320x200x5, HAM,
>    640x400x4, dynamic hires, dynamic HAM, etc.
>
>Any information would be appreciated!

1) The most unkosher, but simplest converter is a program called SNAP.
   This program will either capture graphics or text and keep them
   in memory for later use.
   If you want to capture a graphic, just go the the screen, draw
   'the box' it gives you around what you want to copy (ie: the GIF picture
   being displayed) and it'll keep it for you.  You then are able to
   save it to disk as an IFF file.

2) Problem: to capture a whole-screen pic, I think you need more than 1MEG, but
   I'm not sure about that.

3) I think it's on FISH disk 247

4) it will capture any displayed picture.

       X-------------------+--------------+-----------------------X
       |  |   |\       |>jon@brahms.udel.edu<|  "For my 2 cents,  |
       | \|on |/eutsch |>>---Amiga Sucks---<<|  I'd pay a dollar" |
       X------+--------------------+--------------------+---------X

In article <17415@brahms.udel.edu> jon@brahms.udel.edu (Jon Deutsch) writes:
>In article <1991Jan9.081253.3104@Neon.Stanford.EDU> farrar@Neon.Stanford.EDU (David S. Farrar) writes:
>
>       X-------------------+--------------+-----------------------X
>       |  |   |\       |>jon@brahms.udel.edu<|  "For my 2 cents,  |
>       | \|on |/eutsch |>>---Amiga Sucks---<<|  I'd pay a dollar" |
>       X------+--------------------+--------------------+---------X

YIPES!  Someone sabotaged by .sig!!!!
Well, don't fret, people, just because my sig says it, doesn't
mean it's true!

(.sig file has been promptly reconstructed)

       | \|on |/eutsch |>>-----------------<<|  I'd pay a dollar" |
       X------+--------------------+--------------------+---------X

walrus@wam.umd.edu (Udo K Schuermann) (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan9.081253.3104@Neon.Stanford.EDU> farrar@Neon.Stanford.EDU (David S. Farrar) writes:
>1.  What kinds of GIF->IFF convertors are there out there?
>2.  What kind of limitations do they have (pessimist here)

The PBMPLUS programs do a fine job, although they're somewhat memory
hungry.  giftoppm, ppmtoilbm, as well as color quantization and
scaling programs to fill the gaps.

>3.  Where can they be found?

ab20.larc.nasa.gov has:
Wed  20-Jun-90  18:26:32   963642  amiga/graphics/conv/pbmplus.lzh

>4.  What kind of Amiga format do they convert to?  320x200x5, HAM,
>    640x400x4, dynamic hires, dynamic HAM, etc.

If the GIF contains more than 32 colors, a HAM is created.  The dynamic
modes are not supported, nor is Extra-Halfbright.

>"There will come a time when our vegetable love will grow      Scott Farrar
> Vaster than empires and more slow."               farrar@neon.stanford.edu

 ._.  Udo Schuermann        "How is American beer similar to making love in
 ( )  walrus@wam.umd.edu    a canoe?" -- "Both are f***ing close to water."

wally@pallas.athenanet.com (Wally Hartshorn) (01/12/91)

In article <1991Jan9.081253.3104@Neon.Stanford.EDU> farrar@Neon.Stanford.EDU (David S. Farrar) writes:
>1.  What kinds of GIF->IFF convertors are there out there?

I've seen some GIF to IFF conversion programs, but I'd like to get an
IFF to GIF converter, so that I can make some stuff available to non-Amigans
from time to time.  What's available?
--
Wally (uunet!pallas!wally or wally@athenanet.com)

"Signature needed.  Apply within."