[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] What's the story?

Lee_Robert_Willis@cup.portal.com writes:

> xanthian@Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent, the man from xanth) writes:

>> [Since there is bad blood between Pixar and the Amiga community going
>> back to Pixar's heavy handed suppression of Leo Schwab's "Red's
>> Dream" Amiga animation, it probably isn't a good bet that Pixar will
>> _ever_ do an Amiga Renderman implementation themselves.]

> What bad blood? What 'Red's Dream' animation? What suppression?
> Inquiring minds want to know!

I don't think it's worth rehashing in detail here. Leo saw a first
showing of Red's Dream, went home and hacked a great Amiga animation of
a unicycle juggling balls, Pixar told him it infringed their movie and
to withdraw it from circulation, Leo replaced it with an animation of a
ball juggling unicycles, Pixar got egg on their face and a reputation
for bullying the little guy. Some of us have long memories.

Kent, the man from xanth.
OXII bellied up and got bought out!  Yay!

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) (01/20/91)

In article <1991Jan20.000850.10541@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
|Lee_Robert_Willis@cup.portal.com writes:
|| What bad blood? What 'Red's Dream' animation? What suppression?
|| Inquiring minds want to know!
|
|I don't think it's worth rehashing in detail here. Leo saw a first
|showing of Red's Dream, went home and hacked a great Amiga animation of
|a unicycle juggling balls, Pixar told him it infringed their movie and
|to withdraw it from circulation, Leo replaced it with an animation of a
|ball juggling unicycles, Pixar got egg on their face and a reputation
|for bullying the little guy. Some of us have long memories.

This anim is on Fish Disk #100.  Really quite outstanding.  And now I
understand the title: "The Dream Goes Berzerk".

|Kent, the man from xanth.

Dave Schaumann		|  And then -- what then?  Then, future...
dave@cs.arizona.edu	|  		-Weather Report

mikep@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mike Powell) (01/20/91)

	Basically, the story goes like this... (as I have come to understand it)

	PIXAR produced a wonderful animated film called 'Red's Dream' about
	a tiny unicycle (Red) who has a dream of working as a circus clown's
	unicycle in his juggling act....  Very impressive!

	Well... This film was unvieled at a Siggraph show a few years
	ago, and somehow, a avid Amiga type named Leo Schwab (hope I got
	the spelling right) saw the film in a preview the night BEFORE
	it was shown to the general Siggraph attendees....

	That night, he set about re-creating a small, but important,
	part of the film using his Amiga and Videoscape 3D.  He put
	his anim onto a floppy and went to the show...  He located
	an Amiga or two on the show floor and loaded the animation
	into them and stepped back....

	Well, the show go'ers were impressed to see the PIXAR film to
	be sure, but to walk onto the show floor and see Amiga's playing
	some of 'Red's Dream' in 'real time' on the same day of
	'Red's Dream' premere showing was incredible....

	PIXAR was not impressed.

	In fact, they found Leo and told him to pocket that animation
	and if he wanted to stay out of any legal troubles, the animation
	should not be seen again anywhere....

	Leo is not stupid..... is didn't release the animation to the
	public, but he DID re-do the animation and gave it a little
	'twist'.... enough to keep PIXAR off his back, and is entitled
	'The Dream Goes Berserk!'.  The 'Berserk' anim is available
	in all the usual PD sources....

	But I don't really think that this little incident is going to
	alter a business decision made by PIXAR....  In the larger scheme
	of things, the incident was not all that important.  The PIXAR
	films are still some of the best work anyone has ever seen in
	computer animation.... and Leo's prank is all but forgotten.

	-Mike-