[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] Attributes Standard Settings

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury, SysAdmin) (01/22/91)

I'm looking for some reference settings for Turbo-Silver (actually Imagine) so
that I don't have to experiment so much trying to get a particular surface.

A reference volume of attribute settings would be most helpful for such things
as gold, chrome, silver, bronze and so on.

At this point, I am having to adjust the attributes, trace a scene, adjust
attributes, trace a scene and so on and so forth.  It would be nice to have
more of a reference starting point.

Does anyone know of some doc that has a listing of standard settings.

Thanks.

-- Bob
______ Pro-Graphics BBS  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!" ________

    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!bobl         |         Pro-Graphics: 908/469-0049
Internet: bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com       |       America Online: Graphics3d
FastInet: bobl@bobsbox.rent.com           |           Compuserve: RIP
_________                                                          ___________
          Raven Enterprises  25 Raven Avenue  Piscataway, NJ 08854

mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (01/24/91)

In article <7118@crash.cts.com> bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury, SysAdmin) writes:
>I'm looking for some reference settings for Turbo-Silver (actually Imagine) so
>that I don't have to experiment so much trying to get a particular surface.
>A reference volume of attribute settings would be most helpful for such things
>as gold, chrome, silver, bronze and so on. It would be nice to have
>more of a reference starting point.

I had discussed this briefly in the Imagine mailing list but in case you didn't
see it.....
To truly mimic materials such as the ones you mentioned requires calculations
and parameters that most renderers do not take into account due to both
user complexity and computational expense. For a really good discussion
on this topic including a survey of common rendering equations and a possible
solution see the November 1990 IEEE Computer Graphics & Applications article
"A Realistic Lighting Model for Computer Animators" by Paul Strauss.
However, Imagine does have have enough available parameters to do a fair
job. "Illumination and Color in Computer Generated Imagery" by Roy Hall is
an excellent book for describing the problem of realistic surface rendering
and has a number of tables, plots, and guidlines for rendering various
materials. In Hall's book, he references Purdue University (1970)
"Thermophysical Properties of Matter", Thermophysical Properties Research
Center, for the various spectral curves and data for a multitude of
materials. Another possibility would be to check the book written for
Turbo Silver users (I think its by Victor Osaka but I'm not sure) but
I don't know if it covers this topic. Finally, a good rule of thumb for
metals is to keep the spectral and reflected colors close to the surface
color, don't overdo the reflectivity, and use a moderate hardness.

Hope this helps.
%       `       '                Mark Thompson                          %
%  --==* RADIANT *==--           mark@westford.ccur.com                 %
%       ' Image `                ...!{decvax,uunet}!masscomp!mark       %
%      Productions               (508)392-2480  (603)424-1829           %