[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] Amiga Animation: Putting together a basic package

Ron_Tarrant@mindlink.UUCP (Ron Tarrant) (01/29/91)

> lcs@remus.rutgers.edu writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <Jan.29.11.25.32.1991.14448@remus.rutgers.edu>
>
> Org.  : Rutgers Univ., New Brunswick, N.J.
> Person: Lyle C. Seplowitz
>

>   I don't own an Amiga (although I would like to get one eventually),
> however, I have access to the few Amigas on campus (very few). I have
> a class in animation and would like to use the Amiga for my projects
> (as opposed to the Mac (many of these machines) and IBM). I already
> have DeluxePaint III, DeluxeVideo III, The Director (old version),
> Sculpt 3D (old version), Page3D (old version), PFX, and PerfectVision
> (and none of the manuals).

You want us to give you advice about stolen software? Sorry, Lyle. I'm more
inclined to give your name (and the name of your school) to the FBI.
If you and your school can't afford to buy the software, then you should NOT be
using it. Since you didn't mention any of the products I've developed, I can't
press charges against you. Someone else might, though.
-Ron Tarrant
a976@Mindlink.UUCP

lcs@remus.rutgers.edu (Lyle C. Seplowitz) (01/30/91)

  I don't own an Amiga (although I would like to get one eventually),
however, I have access to the few Amigas on campus (very few). I have
a class in animation and would like to use the Amiga for my projects
(as opposed to the Mac (many of these machines) and IBM). I already
have DeluxePaint III, DeluxeVideo III, The Director (old version),
Sculpt 3D (old version), Page3D (old version), PFX, and PerfectVision
(and none of the manuals). Since the school has no more money to
spend, and I would like to keep my spending down, how sufficient would
you say these packages are? They would probably be used on an Amiga
2000 WITHOUT a hard drive and at least 1 or 2 Megs of memory. I
believe all the Amigas have two drives. I am already familiar with the
Deluxe series, but would like more information on the more advanced
features (like a book or on-line reference). My other alternative is
to use the Macs with MacroMind (an all-in-one animation program).
However, from the samples I have seen it isn't that impressive. It is
also only installed on three machines, only one of which has color.

  I would like to do my work on the Amiga. If anyone has any
suggestions on books or other references that can help me out (and
that aren't too costly), or even other software?

  Thanks for any information you can provide :)

  By the way, I saw an ad for MacRenderMan...is there any plans for
Pixar to come out with an Amiga version? I've heard of RenderMan (and
seen some of Pixar's work) through an internship in which I used Alias
software...