[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] Video Digitizer

antunes@ASTRO.PSU.EDU (Sandy Antunes) (01/25/91)

Hi!  This is related to the question of whether anyone built the video
digitizer posted on New Xanth (vdigitzer.lzh)... I have the plans and
have been hunting down chips.  My question is:
  Is there any PD/FW/SH for actually grabbing the images?  Or would one
have to buy something like digiview to get the images?  It doesn't seem
to make much sense to build unless one can use it, but I don't know of
any software that is out that doesn't automatically come with a digitizer
of its own!
   So, anyone built it/use it/ know what software works with it?
       thanks!                           sandy
------------
Sandy Antunes   "the Waupelani Kid" 'cause that's where I live...
antunes@ASTROD.psu.edu                 Penn State Astronomy Dept
------------        "que sera c'est la via"         -------------

jwb@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Jeff W. Brogden) (01/30/91)

In article <9101251442.AA16506@astrod> antunes@ASTRO.PSU.EDU (Sandy Antunes) writes:
>have been hunting down chips.  My question is:
>  Is there any PD/FW/SH for actually grabbing the images?  Or would one
>have to buy something like digiview to get the images?  It doesn't seem
>to make much sense to build unless one can use it, but I don't know of
>any software that is out that doesn't automatically come with a digitizer
>of its own!

Actually, Impulse has a paint program called 'Diamond' that has menu
options to digitize images.  I think they were going to have a hardware
piece to go with it (ala DigiView) but nothing ever came of it.

I have Diamond, and the manual tells how to set the various option to digitize
and all that, but no hardware.  Strange as it sounds - there is at least one
software package that didn't come automatically with a digitizer of its own.

(BTW - I got Diamond for about $35 I think from Impulse directly)

Jeff Brogden					| Kansas State University
Internet: jwb@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu          	| Manhattan, KS.  66506
BITNET: jwb@ksuvm                           	| Office phone: (913)532-6350
UUCP: {rutgers,texbell,atanasoff}!ksuvax1!jwb	| Home phone: (913)776-5798

watters@skink.cis.ohio-state.edu (david r watters) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan29.184148.20805@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> jwb@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Jeff W. Brogden) writes:

>Actually, Impulse has a paint program called 'Diamond' that has menu
>options to digitize images.  I think they were going to have a hardware
>piece to go with it (ala DigiView) but nothing ever came of it.
>
>I have Diamond, and the manual tells how to set the various option to digitize
>and all that, but no hardware.  Strange as it sounds - there is at least one
>software package that didn't come automatically with a digitizer of its own.

This is not so.  The device was called the "VD-1" unless I am mistaken and it
was mainly a frame grabber but also doubled as a buffer for rendered pics and
had utils for loading sculpt stuff and TurboSilver stuff.   The software side
was not that polished but the hardware was nice and seemed to have decent
results (I was doing grabs off a crappy VCR with a simpsons tape).  I borrowed
one for a weekend.  It was blue and not that small. 3/4'x3/4'?!

If you want to do grabs and 24bit animations and don't have the recording
equipment to do single frame stuff... take a lone look at DCTV.  I have been
playing with it for a few days it it is very interesting.   It will play full
NTSC (~2.1Mcolors ?!) animations as fast as your machine can play
hires-interlace anims! ( on my 030 machine that is fairly fast. :-) )

--
"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars.
 All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars!" - RUSH