[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] Fast Mandelbrot Mapper

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) (01/29/91)

Has anyone implemented the algorithm described in Appendix D of _The Science
of Fractal Images_?  This is the one that generates 2-color images of the
Mandelbrot set very quickly.

Also, what about the fractal image generator described in Appendix C of
the same book?

They both would be very easy to implement for someone familiar with
graphics programming.  All the (Pascal-ish) code is given.  All that needs
to be added is the system-specific stuff and a descent user interface.

If no one has done either, I may have a go at one over spring break.

Dave Schaumann		|  And then -- what then?  Then, future...
dave@cs.arizona.edu	|  		-Weather Report

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@yalevm.ycc.yale.edu (01/29/91)

Nico Francois' MandelBlitz will generate the complete Mandelbrot set in
35 seconds on a 68000 Amiga in 32-color low-res. How much faster do you
want a program to get? He uses an algorithm that is, to my knowledge,
completely unique as well; all areas with the same color are bounded
(the plot goes around the area). It's quite different to watch...
                                                --Rick Wrigley
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) (01/30/91)

The algorithm given in the book determines the minimum distance to the
edge of the interior of the set, and then fills in a circle based on
that calculation.  Naturally, points already colored can be skipped.

This leads to a great speed-up since many points can be skipped.  This would
be very good for exploring regions which require a high iteration value
(ie >>1000).

Dave Schaumann		|  And then -- what then?  Then, future...
dave@cs.arizona.edu	|  		-Weather Report

WTW101@psuvm.psu.edu (Bill Warner) (01/30/91)

In article <43065@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@yalevm.ycc.yale.edu
says:

>Nico Francois' MandelBlitz will generate the complete Mandelbrot set in
>35 seconds on a 68000 Amiga in 32-color low-res. How much faster do you
>want a program to get? He uses an algorithm that is, to my knowledge,
>completely unique as well; all areas with the same color are bounded
>(the plot goes around the area). It's quite different to watch...
>                                                --Rick Wrigley
>                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet

Have you ever seen MandFXP 3.0 by Bruce Dawson and Steve LaRocque?  That is the
fastest mandelbrot program I have seen.  It does a 320x200x5 picture at 30
iterations in about 12 seconds on a stock Amiga.

                                                Chris

Richard.Milward@samba.acs.unc.edu (Richard Milward) (01/31/91)

FYI, the public-domain FRACTINT program for the IBM-PC world
has a boundary-tracing mode which does what you describe.
Yes, it's quite interesting to watch...

--Richard Milward / network tech / UNC-CH
  Ofc. of Data & Video Communications
p.s. to N.C. Amigoids: Video Toaster demo this weekend!
Contact Triangle Computer Society, Steve Ayscue 477-1067

WTW101@psuvm.psu.edu (Bill Warner) (01/31/91)

I uploaded MandFXP Demo version 3 to abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov because many people
were asking about it.  Someone mentioned 'since the program is now public
domain, could you please upload it?'.  I take this to mean that the authors
made the non-demo version public domain, but I am guessing.  If this is true,
could someone please upload the non-demo version to abcfd20?  Also, does anyone
know if the source code is available for this program?  I'm sure many people
would be willing to pay a reasonable fee to CygnusSoft for the source code.

                                    Chris

chem194@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (John Davis) (01/31/91)

In article <91029.231158WTW101@psuvm.psu.edu>, WTW101@psuvm.psu.edu (Bill Warner) writes:
> In article <43065@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@yalevm.ycc.yale.edu
> says:
>>Nico Francois' MandelBlitz will generate the complete Mandelbrot set in
>>35 seconds on a 68000 Amiga in 32-color low-res. How much faster do you
>>want a program to get? He uses an algorithm that is, to my knowledge,
>>completely unique as well; all areas with the same color are bounded
>>(the plot goes around the area). It's quite different to watch...
>
> Have you ever seen MandFXP 3.0 by Bruce Dawson and Steve LaRocque?  That is the
> fastest mandelbrot program I have seen.  It does a 320x200x5 picture at 30
> iterations in about 12 seconds on a stock Amiga.

Yes, but the crucial question with both of those programs are

 a) what iteration limit level are they using ( I know MandelBlitz defaults
    to something ridiculous like itlin=150 .. way too low for anything useful )
 b) what precision are they using.

It's easy to get a fast mandelbrot plotter, as long as you're willing to
sacrifice precision. In the end, I use Mandel (on abcfd20) to zoom around
to find an interesting area, then use my own custom written program
(straight m/c with inline fpu code - whole main loop sits in cache with
all vars enregistered on the fpu) for high precision output (it would
be fast if I wasn't having to bump itlim to >3000 to get decent looking
pictures :-).

Anyone know where I can get cheap 040 - I'd like to be able to get more
than the 1 (640x512) screen every 1.5 hours I'm managing at the moment :-)

| o  John Davis - CHEM194@canterbury.ac.nz               o |
| o  (Depart)mental Programmer,Chemistry Department      o |
| o  University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand o |
| o                                                      o |
| o  co-sysop AmigaINFO BBS,1200/2400 baud CCITT,        o |
| o           24 hours a day, ph NZ +3-3371-531          o |