[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] IFF formats

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu ("J. Eric Townsend") (01/24/91)

c.s.a.graphics added, with follow-ups directed there as well.

In article <1991Jan23.221325.20449@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Yong Su Kim) writes:
>Are there different standards for IFFs on the Amiga?
>I have an IFF converter for the Apple IIGS which can recognise IFFs
>taken directly from the Amiga including HAM IFFs, but it cannot view
>IFFs which haven been converted using programs like PBMplus, FBM, and
>Alchemy.

Sounds like sloppy programming.  I've never had IFF problems as long
as I stick to Amiga programs, but pbmplus has thrown some curves in
my direction.  Unfortunately I haven't the time to figure out exactly
where it goes goofy.

Anybody else have an idea?
--
J. Eric Townsend     Internet: jet@uh.edu    Bitnet: jet@UHOU
Systems Mangler - UH Dept. of Mathematics - (713) 749-2120

Frank.Neumann@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Frank Neumann) (01/25/91)

Hi,
jet@karazm.math.uh.edu ("J. Eric Townsend") writes:
>In article <1991Jan23.221325.20449@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Yong Su Kim) writes:
>>Are there different standards for IFFs on the Amiga?
>>I have an IFF converter for the Apple IIGS which can recognise IFFs
>>taken directly from the Amiga including HAM IFFs, but it cannot view
>>IFFs which haven been converted using programs like PBMplus, FBM, and
>>Alchemy.

>Sounds like sloppy programming.  I've never had IFF problems as long
>as I stick to Amiga programs, but pbmplus has thrown some curves in
>my direction.  Unfortunately I haven't the time to figure out exactly
>where it goes goofy.

>Anybody else have an idea?
Well - I _SUSPECT_ a reason might be that (for instance) ppmtoilbm creates
pictures WITHOUT compression, that is CompressionFlag in the BMHD(?)
chunk is zero. And in fact some programs think that anyway pictures are
ALWAYS compressed - (indeed, a self-written small utility does this,
too :-}) - so they run into some difficulties uncompressing this.
Another reason might be the CAMG chunk which is also not recognized
by all programs.
One solution to the problem is: Take something liek Butcher or Pixmate,
load the picture and re-save it. Afterwards it will be (usually) in
compressed form.
Second/third solution: Re-write your Apple IFF viewer / ppmtoilbm.c :}

Hope this helps.
Frank
--
+ Frank Neumann, Hauptstr. 107, 2900 Oldenburg, FRG   The Amiga is it.  +
+       InterNet: Frank.Neumann@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de        +

L98CC@CUNYVM.BITNET (02/01/91)

In article <1991Jan24.022455.6950@lavaca.uh.edu>, jet@karazm.math.uh.edu ("J.
Eric Townsend") says:

>c.s.a.graphics added, with follow-ups directed there as well.
>
>In article <1991Jan23.221325.20449@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>
>yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Yong Su Kim) writes:
>>Are there different standards for IFFs on the Amiga?
>>I have an IFF converter for the Apple IIGS which can recognise IFFs
>>taken directly from the Amiga including HAM IFFs, but it cannot view
>>IFFs which haven been converted using programs like PBMplus, FBM, and
>>Alchemy.
>
>Sounds like sloppy programming.  I've never had IFF problems as long
>as I stick to Amiga programs, but pbmplus has thrown some curves in
>my direction.  Unfortunately I haven't the time to figure out exactly
>where it goes goofy.
>
>Anybody else have an idea?
>--

1) Some IFF files have 'non-standard' padding bytes.
2) IFF files are composed of number of 'chunks'.  There are some 'chunks'
that only some program recognizes.
3) IFF files may contain both images and sounds and whatnots..
-------
From Internet :
if your site has a dumb mailer try       |  for a smart mailer try
SH941727%CCNYVME.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU  |  SH941727@CCNYVME.BITNET
Today's Quote :
   Just say NO to the hot chocolate without mashmellows.