[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] FractInt for Amiga ?

Scott.Maxwell@samba.acs.unc.edu (Scott Maxwell) (01/24/91)

   ... a previous poster asked if anyone has ported/is porting/will be
porting FractInt to the Amiga ...

   ... I keep pretending I'm going to get around to it one of these days ...
and I probably will, if no one else does it before the summer. (This summer
I'm planning to port FractInt and write a CoreWars program, since I can't
find any of the CoreWarses that are out for the Amiga ... grumble gripe whine.)

     In the meantime, there's a temporary fix. Look for a program called
"Fractals" on a fairly recent Fish disk -- say, somewhere from 380 up. It's
not fast (everything's in FFP), but it's surprisingly complete. You can even
write your own equations and do some other moderately nifty stuff.

--
Scott Maxwell (CSMAXWEL@ECUVM1.BITNET or Scott.Maxwell@samba.acs.unc.edu)

peter@stca77.stc.oz (Peter Jeremy) (02/01/91)

In article <219@nos850.UUCP> joem@nos850.UUCP (Joe Muller) writes:
> Anybody know if it was ever ported to the
>amiga ?  In the doc file it says that the PC source is available, has anybody
>attempted to compile it ?

I extracted the sources for FRACTINT14 when it first appeared, with the
intention of trying to get some of the code running on my Amiga.  I spent
several hours studying it and decided that it was hopeless.

In writing FRACTINT, no attempt was made to make it portable.  The code is
about 1/3 assembler - all of which would need to be re-written.  Of the C,
large slabs of code contain machine dependencies - like 80x86 segments,
display adapters, keyboard tables.  These dependencies permeate the code
and would require a massive effort to eradicate.

Note that I am not having a go at the authors.  Having seen the program
running, they have done a wonderful job.  Making the program generally
portable would have entailed far more effort, and probably resulted in
significantly poorer performance.
--
Peter Jeremy (VK2PJ)         peter@stca77.stc.oz.AU
Alcatel STC Australia        ...!uunet!stca77.stc.oz!peter

reynolds@fsg.UUCP (Brian Reynolds) (02/02/91)

I have a version of Fractint 12 for the Atari ST.  It was released
last July by Howard Chu from the University of Michigan.  In the
README he states that it is pre-pre-alpha.  FRACTINT.ARC (binaries
only) can be found at atari.archive (see a monthly posting in
comp.sys.atari.st for hostname and IP address).  Howard Chu can be
found on c.s.a.st.  I don't think he has worked on this since last
year.

--
Brian Reynolds          | reynolds@fsg.com
Fusion Systems Group    | -or-