[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] Amiga Display Resolution Modes.

taab5@ccvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) (01/14/91)

In Message <1419@tardis.Tymnet.COM> <jms@Tardis.Tymnet.COM> writes:

>>Question: What display modes does the Amiga have?
>Answer: Lots.

I took the table given in the original message, and altered it to make
it a little more sensible.

The following table is a list of the resolution modes possible with a
'normal' Amiga (without the Enhanced Chip Set).  The 'NTSC' and 'PAL'
categories indicates the resolutions possible in NTSC and PAL.
The 'BitPlns' category indicates the maximum number of bitplanes possible
in each resolution mode.  To find the maximum number of colors, take
2^(Max. Bitplanes)

Mode (Normal Denise)       NTSC       PAL      BitPlns  Palette
------------------------ --------   --------   -------  -------
Lores                    320x200    320x256      6       4096**
Lores-Interlaced         320x400    320x512      6       4096*,**
Hires                    640x200    640x256      4       4096
Hires-Interlaced         640x400    640x512      4       4096*

The Super Denise (in the ECS) has all of the resolutions in the previous
table, plus the added resolutions in the following table.  Note that this
is a very incomplete table, as literally hundreds of resolutions are
possible by fiddling with the programmable scan rates of the Super Denise.

Mode (ECS Super Denise)    NTSC       PAL      BitPlns  Palette
------------------------  --------  ---------  -------  -------
Super-Hires               1280x200   1280x256    2        64
Super-Hires-Interlaced    1280x400   1280x512    2        64
VGA-ExtraLores            160x480    same        6       4096**
VGA-ExtraLores-Interlcd   160x960    same        6       4096**
VGA-Lores                 320x480    same        4       4096
VGA-Lores-Interlaced      320x960    same        4       4096
Productivity              640x480    same        2        64
Productivity-Interlaced   640x960    same        2        64
A2024                     1008x800   1008x1024   2        16***

Notes:
   All of the Amiga's resolution modes can be extended somewhat by use of
   overscan, with some extendable to a greater extent than others.  The
   non-ECS resolutions can typically be extended by about 17% by the use
   of overscan, while the added ECS resolutions can only be extended by
   about 5% by the use of overscan.

*  The Display Enhancer in the Amiga 3000 (and the Display Enhancer Board
   for the Amiga 2000) will de-interlace all of the interlaced resolution
   modes of the first table, as well as any interlaced-and-overscanned
   resolution modes. It will not, however, de-interlace any of added ECS
   resolution modes.

** The Lores and Lores-Interlaced modes can display 64 or 4096 colors
   (out of al palette of 4096) the Extra-HalfBrite (EHB) and Hold-And-
   Modify (HAM) resolution modes.  Both of these use 6 BitPlanes.
   (I believe that the VGA-ExtraLores and VGA-ExtraLores-Interlaced are
   also capable of EHB and HAM modes, but am not certain about this)
   The 2nd 32 colors of EHB mode are restricted.  They are the same as the
   first 32 colors with the red, green, and blue values reduced to one half.
   HAM mode (Hold And Modify mode) allows all 4096 colors to be displayed,
   but has restrictions affecting adjacent pixels of differing colors.

*** The Commodore A2024 monitor is a gray-scale monitor.  In the maximum
   resolutions given in the table, it displays a maximum of 4 shades of
   gray out of a palette of 16 shades of gray.  This monitor requires the
   ECS, and so is listed with the ECS resolution modes.

   To answer a question from Dennis_Grant@CMR001.BITNET in message
<910112.21331533.053294@CMR.CP6> about the resolution modes possible
with an A2000 with the ECS, with the A2432 Display Enhancer Board,
and with both:
   An A2000 with the ECS can display all of the resolution modes given
in both tables, including both the NTSC and PAL resolution modes.
   An A2000 with the A2432 but without the ECS can only display the
resolution modes in the first table.  In addition, it can display
these resolutions in either NTSC or PAL, but not both.  With the
A2432 active, all of these resolution modes are non-interlaced.
   An A2000 with both the ECS and the A2432 can display all of the
resolution modes given in both tables.  In addition, with the A2432
active, all of the resolution modes in the first table are
non-interlaced, in both PAL and NTSC.  However, the A2432 will not
de-interlace any of the ECS resolution modes in the second table
(as I said in the first set of notes), so with the A2432 active all
of the interlaced resolutions in the second table will still flicker.

                                 -MB-

spence@cbmvax.commodore.com (Spencer Shanson) (01/16/91)

In article <17550@cbmvax.commodore.com> spence@cbmvax.commodore.com (Spencer Shanson) writes:
>In article <1991Jan14.024715.1@ccvax.iastate.edu> taab5@ccvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:
>>*** The Commodore A2024 monitor is a gray-scale monitor.  In the maximum
>>   resolutions given in the table, it displays a maximum of 4 shades of
>>   gray out of a palette of 16 shades of gray.  This monitor requires the
>>   ECS, and so is listed with the ECS resolution modes.
>>
>The A2024 does not require  the ECS. It does, however, require a separate
>display board which plugs into the video slot of a A2000/3000

OOOOPS! I boobed. The A2024 does NOT require the ECS or separate display board.
All the additional circuitry is built into the monitor. I was getting it
confused with the Moniterm monitor which does require the setup I described.
The A2024 can be used with any Amiga.

Thanks Randell for spotting that one for me. Apologies for any confusion I
may have caused.

(It was a looong weekend - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :-) )

Spencer Shanson - Amiga Software Engineer     | email: spence@commodore.COM
                                              | or uunet!cbmvax!spence
All opinions expressed are my own, and do not | "A picture is worth 1000
(necessarily) represent those of Commodore.   | words, or about 300,000
                                              | bytes."

alpha@omega.ruhr.de (Rudolf Neuhaus) (01/22/91)

In article <1991Jan16.231956.1939@agora.rain.com>, Bill Seymour writes:

[...]
> 	Some mention should be made here of the 'every other pixel' display
> that the 2320 and 3000/VGA gives you in SuperHighRes modes. Although the
> percieved resolution is 1280x200/256/400/512, the actual display is still
> 640 pixel wide. They just display every other pixel...
[...]

Are you sure about that? Couldn't it just be your monitor, that can't display
1280 dots horizontally?
Why should they say it's 1280xXXX then?
Rudy
________________________________
 Rudolf Neuhaus         |__o_/  \alpha@omega.ruhr.de
 Kreuzstr. 144          |  \\
 4600 Dortmund 1        |  / \   Voice: +49-231-103703

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (01/22/91)

In article <1991Jan14.024715.1@ccvax.iastate.edu> taab5@ccvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:
>In Message <1419@tardis.Tymnet.COM> <jms@Tardis.Tymnet.COM> writes:
>>>Question: What display modes does the Amiga have?  >>Answer: Lots.
>I took the table given in the original message, and altered it to make
>it a little more sensible.

You did a good job, Marc, except for one line.  A2024 belongs up in the
first table with "Normal Denise".

>A2024                     1008x800   1008x1024   2        16***
>*** The Commodore A2024 monitor is a gray-scale monitor.  In the maximum
>   resolutions given in the table, it displays a maximum of 4 shades of
>   gray out of a palette of 16 shades of gray.  This monitor requires the
>   ECS, and so is listed with the ECS resolution modes.
    ^^^ Not required.
>                                 -MB-

The resolution of 1008x800 is sent out as either 4 or 6 panels.  The bits
are sent out as {lines 0-399, pixels 0-639} + {lines 0-399, pixels 640-1007}
+ {lines 400-799, pixels 0-639} + {lines 400-799, pixels 640-1007} (or
something like that).  This is using the normal Denise, using approx. 640
pixels per scanline at 15KHz.  All the magic is done via software (a new
graphics.library) in the Amiga and hardware inside the A2024 "Hedley"
monitor.  When changing the entire screen (such as using Left-Amiga-M), it
takes 4 fields (1/15 second) to get all the pixels updated.  The A2024-15Hz
mode uses up as much Chip-RAM bandwidth as a 640x400x16-color screen.  The
A2024-10Hz mode uses up less bandwidth, as much as a 640x400x8-color screen.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms@tardis.tymnet.com or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

harris@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Michael Harris) (01/22/91)

>In article <1991Jan16.231956.1939@agora.rain.com>, Bill Seymour writes:

>[...]
>> 	Some mention should be made here of the 'every other pixel' display
>> that the 2320 and 3000/VGA gives you in SuperHighRes modes. Although the
>> percieved resolution is 1280x200/256/400/512, the actual display is still
>> 640 pixel wide. They just display every other pixel...
>[...]

Speaking for the A3000, SuperHighRes modes will appear to display every other
pixel if you have the display enhancer turned on.  I have tried running
SuperHighRes mode on my NEC 3D, and to get the correct aspect ratio for the
graphics, I must stretch the screen to its maximum on the horizontal and
shrink it to it's minimum on the veritcal.  The NEC 3D's resolution is
1024 X 768.  I could believe that the SuperHighRes modes does what it is
advertised to do.
--
 __   _ ___ ___   Michael Harris - harris@catt.ncsu.edu      //        _
|    / \  | |    Computer and Technologies Theme Program    // /||\/||/ _ /|

sbeagle@kennels.actrix.gen.nz (Sleeping Beagle) (01/23/91)

alpha@omega.ruhr.de (Rudolf Neuhaus) writes:

> In article <1991Jan16.231956.1939@agora.rain.com>, Bill Seymour writes:
>
> [...]
> > 	Some mention should be made here of the 'every other pixel' display
> > that the 2320 and 3000/VGA gives you in SuperHighRes modes. Although the
> > percieved resolution is 1280x200/256/400/512, the actual display is still
> > 640 pixel wide. They just display every other pixel...
> [...]
>
> Are you sure about that? Couldn't it just be your monitor, that can't display
> 1280 dots horizontally?
> Why should they say it's 1280xXXX then?
> Rudy

THe secret is to turn off the display enhancer. I think you can get true
1280*200/256/400/512 The only problem is that the Interlaced modes
will FLICKER!

I think that the flicker-fixer can't cope even though the rest of
the circuitry can...

--
**      Official Signature for Sleeping Beagle (aka Thomas Farmer)!
** sbeagle@kennels.actrix.gen.nz   || Disclaimers are for sick societies

spence@cbmvax.commodore.com (Spencer Shanson) (01/24/91)

In article <1991Jan22.194511.1@ccvax.iastate.edu> taab5@ccvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:
>   I have a question that I've been wanting to ask ever since the Viking I
>monitor first came out for the Amiga.  If the highest resolution uses four
>or six 640xXXX 'panels', why is the resulting resolution of the monitor
>1008xXXX and not 1280xXXX ?

1008 is the maximum number of pixels the old Denise could display per scan
line.

The restriction is maintained with the ECS Denise for compatibility.

In article <1991Jan22.194356.1@ccvax.iastate.edu> taab5@ccvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:
>In article <188daf2b.ARN010c@omega.ruhr.de>, alpha@omega.ruhr.de (Rudolf Neuhaus) writes:
>> In article <1991Jan16.231956.1939@agora.rain.com>, Bill Seymour writes:

>>> 	Some mention should be made here of the 'every other pixel' display
>>> that the 2320 and 3000/VGA gives you in SuperHighRes modes. Although the
>>> percieved resolution is 1280x200/256/400/512, the actual display is still
>>> 640 pixel wide. They just display every other pixel...

>> Are you sure about that? Couldn't it just be your monitor, ..

>   The Super Denise puts out 1280xXXX video in SuperHires mode.  However,
>when you turn the Display Enhancer in the A3000 on, the Display Enhancer
>only samples every other pixel in SuperHiRes mode.  The result is as
>described above.  It is due to the Display Enhancer, and NOT the monitor.

That's correct.

The display enhancer is in effect a real-time digitizer.  Being a digital
device, it has a particular sampling rate, and can only deal with pixels at
that rate (70ns per pixel) or lower (such as the lores modes).  If you feed
it 35ns pixels, it will only get every other pixel.  It does know about
different display rates, so if it sees a 31kHz scan rate coming it, it will
automatically get out of the way.  The 1280xN modes are 15kHz, but with
35ns pixels, so they wind up generating this strange every-other-pixel
output.  Which is the best you can do with that resolution on a VGA monitor
anyway.  For a multisync, you simply flick the bypass switch on the converter
and get the proper expression of the 1280xN modes on your monitor.

Monitors, from a cheap TV all the way up to your expensive new multi-whatever,
are analog devices.  There's no physical concept of pixels across the screen,
only a rough limit on how many pixel changes per line can be clearly seen.
For example, while you can't read 8 point text generated in the 1280xN mode on
a TV set, you can tell the difference between titling done in the 1280xN
mode vs. a 680xN mode.  Really hot commercial titling boxes may go to 2000 or
so pixels across (in TV terms, meaning overscan, this Amiga mode is really
around 1400 pixels across).  Not to be individually resolved, but so that
curves can come in much smoother.  Additional colors, for antialiasing such
lines, also makes such titles clearer.

	"What works for me might work for you"	-Jimmy Buffett

In article <1991Jan22.194511.1@ccvax.iastate.edu> taab5@ccvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:

>> The resolution of 1008x800 is sent out as either 4 or 6 panels.

>   I have a question that I've been wanting to ask ever since the Viking I
>monitor first came out for the Amiga.  If the highest resolution uses four
>or six 640xXXX 'panels', why is the resulting resolution of the monitor
>1008xXXX and not 1280xXXX ?

The actual resolution that the monitor hardware is capable of producing is
1024x800 @ 60Hz or 1024x1024 @ 50Hz.  1008 is a magic number, the maximum size
of a non-ECS Agnus' largest blit (ECS Agnus can blit 32K pixels or somesuch).
Under UNIX, for example, they drive the display with the CPU, and you get all
1024 pixels.  I suppose they could do this with an ECS Agnus too.

hood@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Hood) (02/04/91)

In article <1247@borg.cs.unc.edu> tell@oscar.cs.unc.edu (Stephen Tell) writes:

>>>Answer: Lots.
>
>>   To answer a question from Dennis_Grant@CMR001.BITNET in message
>><910112.21331533.053294@CMR.CP6> about the resolution modes possible
>>with an A2000 with the ECS, with the A2432 Display Enhancer Board,
>>and with both:
>
>I haven't heard of this; what's the A2432 board?
>(Oh, no! I'm getting behind on news!)
>It sounds like the deinterlacer/display enhancer from the A3000,
>is this correct?
>I suppose it uses the video slot.  Does it work properly with genlocks
>that use the 23 pin video connector?
>What is the availability and cost? (both list and educational discount)
>Its getting so we need a scorecard for all the A-numbers...
>

>>                                 -MB-

>Steve Tell       tell@.cs.unc.edu   H: +1 919 968 1792   #5L Estes Park apts
>CS Grad Student, UNC Chapel Hill.   W: +1 919 962 1845   Carrboro NC 27510

Somebody is REALLY confused!!  There are only two display cards at
present, the A2320 Display Enhancer board for the A2000 machines and the
A2410 Hi-Res Graphics Card for the A2000/A3000 class machines.
The A2320 is a de-interlacer/scan-doubler card (US list of $299) that
functions just like the display enhancer circuitry in the A3000.  The
A2410 is a framebuffer/graphics card that allows programmable
resolutions up to 1024x1024 (at 89Mhz pixel rates) with 256 (plus three
overlay colors) on-screen colors out of a palette of 16.8 million
(24-bit) and has its' own TI34010 50Mhz graphics processor chip.

Regards,
Scott Hood

Scott Hood, Hardware Design Engineer (A3000 Crew),  Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!hood   hood@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com
  "The views expressed here are not necessarily those of my employer!"