[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] QRT Problems

sbeagle@kennels.actrix.gen.nz (Sleeping Beagle) (01/23/91)

Hi.

I am currently having problems with QRT (Quick Ray Tracer) v1.5

Particularly, does anyone know if it is possible to have an
Instanced object consisting of other Instanced objects?

For example I have an instanced object which is basically a
block of wood. I have made a chair out of these blocks and would
like to then use the chair in many places using the instance command.

Would anyone like to swap DKB/QRT files?

Could someone recommend a ray-tracer which has the good features of
both QRT and DKB and none of the drawbacks of either? :-)

--
**      Official Signature for Sleeping Beagle (aka Thomas Farmer)!
** sbeagle@kennels.actrix.gen.nz   || Disclaimers are for sick societies

koren@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Steve Koren) (01/24/91)

sbeagle@kennels.actrix.gen.nz (Sleeping Beagle)  writes:

> I am currently having problems with QRT (Quick Ray Tracer) v1.5

> Particularly, does anyone know if it is possible to have an
> Instanced object consisting of other Instanced objects?

> For example I have an instanced object which is basically a
> block of wood. I have made a chair out of these blocks and would
> like to then use the chair in many places using the instance command.

If I remember correctly (its been a while!) right now you can't.  You
have to define the whole chair as its own instance.  It would indeed
be useful to be able to nest those, but no luck.

On the other hand, it does come with source code...

> Could someone recommend a ray-tracer which has the good features of
> both QRT and DKB and none of the drawbacks of either? :-)

I've been toying with the idea of going back and writing QRT 2.0 now
that I have some idea what I'm doing.  I have many things I'd do
differently or better, and many features I'd like to add (including
minor things like compiling for 881/882 support and using Lattice for
faster execution times).  The only trouble is that I have no time now
to do such things :-(

   - steve

specter@disk.UUCP (Byron Max Guernsey) (01/27/91)

koren@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Steve Koren) writes:

>I've been toying with the idea of going back and writing QRT 2.0 now
>that I have some idea what I'm doing.  I have many things I'd do
>differently or better, and many features I'd like to add (including
>minor things like compiling for 881/882 support and using Lattice for
>faster execution times).  The only trouble is that I have no time now
>to do such things :-(

>   - steve

I like QRT, but i find it difficult to mentally define all the data for
different structures. If you were to do a 2.0, consider trying to make a
3d environment like C-Light uses (although clight seems to be kind of
limited).

Byron

bjames@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Binoy James [890904]) (02/05/91)

Speaking of QRT, does anyone know of a way to transfer 3-d objects to/from

DKBtrace/QRT to any Amiga 3d format?  Sculpt/Turb/Imagine etc....

Thanx.
Bin