[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] DigiView or DCTV ?

joem@nos850.UUCP (Joe Muller) (01/30/91)

 I'm going to be getting my tax refund in shortly and I would like to
purchase a digitizer for use with my Amiga 2500/030.  Currently at home I
have a Panasonic 8mm color camcorder that I can use with it, and I was
wondering which would be the better one to buy, Digiview or DCTV ?  I have
heard quite a bit about Digiview, but not much about DCTV.  Also, what
other peripherals would I need to buy ?
  If it makes a difference, I plan on getting the Video Toaster by the end
of Summer and eventually (hopefully) the Lowell 24bit color graphics
card. Would this combination pose any problems ?

ottmar@ajberl.UUCP (Ottmar Roehrig) (02/01/91)

>In article <222@nos850.UUCP> joem@nos850.UUCP (Joe Muller) writes:
>
> I'm going to be getting my tax refund in shortly and I would like to
>purchase a digitizer for use with my Amiga 2500/030.  Currently at home I
>have a Panasonic 8mm color camcorder that I can use with it, and I was
>wondering which would be the better one to buy, Digiview or DCTV ?  I have
>heard quite a bit about Digiview, but not much about DCTV.  Also, what
>other peripherals would I need to buy ?
>  If it makes a difference, I plan on getting the Video Toaster by the end
>of Summer and eventually (hopefully) the Lowell 24bit color graphics
>card. Would this combination pose any problems ?

If money isn't the point the VD2001 from Merkens EDV (Germany) seems to
be the best 24 bit realtime digitizer/framebuffer available now. Note:
realtime means REALTIME (eg. 25 pcitures digitized per second, not one
in 1/25th of a second) it costs about 5000 DM in the overscan-version.

BTW: As far as I know, the Lowell-Board is 8 bit, not 24!

Ottmar
=
AtelierRoehrig, Ottmar Roehrig, Hamburg, Germany
  UUCP: ...!cbmvax!cbmehq!cbmger!ajberl!ottmar

  "42" (Deep Thought, some million years ago)

mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (02/04/91)

>>In article <222@nos850.UUCP> joem@nos850.UUCP (Joe Muller) writes:
>>  If it makes a difference, I plan on getting the Video Toaster by the end
>>of Summer and eventually (hopefully) the Lowell 24bit color graphics
>>card. Would this combination pose any problems ?

It should not be a problem since the Toaster uses the video slot and
the Lowell-Board (which is 8bit, not 24) uses a Zorro II slot.

In article <ottmar.3642@ajberl.UUCP>ottmar@ajberl.UUCP (Ottmar Roehrig) writes:
>If money isn't the point the VD2001 from Merkens EDV (Germany) seems to
>be the best 24 bit realtime digitizer/framebuffer available now. Note:
>realtime means REALTIME (eg. 25 pcitures digitized per second, not one
>in 1/25th of a second) it costs about 5000 DM in the overscan-version.

Are there any plans for a version for the US running NTSC at 30 frames per
second? Also, if it can capture sequential real-time video, how much
can it store? ( 1 second of uncompressed video is roughly 20 MBytes of
storage) and can it play it back real-time. I would really like to do
some video roto-scoping but I have not seen an Amiga product that is
capable of doing it without MAJOR amounts of effort.
%~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~%
%       `       '                Mark Thompson                          %
%  --==* RADIANT *==--           mark@westford.ccur.com                 %
%       ' Image `                ...!{decvax,uunet}!masscomp!mark       %
%      Productions               (508)392-2480  (603)424-1829           %
%                                                                       %

ottmar@ajberl.UUCP (Ottmar Roehrig) (02/06/91)

>In article <61683@masscomp.ccur.com> mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) writes:
>In article <ottmar.3642@ajberl.UUCP>ottmar@ajberl.UUCP (Ottmar Roehrig) writes:
>>If money isn't the point the VD2001 from Merkens EDV (Germany) seems to
>>be the best 24 bit realtime digitizer/framebuffer available now. Note:
>>realtime means REALTIME (eg. 25 pcitures digitized per second, not one
>>in 1/25th of a second) it costs about 5000 DM in the overscan-version.
>
>Are there any plans for a version for the US running NTSC at 30 frames per
>second? Also, if it can capture sequential real-time video, how much
>can it store? ( 1 second of uncompressed video is roughly 20 MBytes of
>storage) and can it play it back real-time. I would really like to do
>some video roto-scoping but I have not seen an Amiga product that is
>capable of doing it without MAJOR amounts of effort.

Surely at the moment it is not possible to capture these digitized pictures
in realtime but hardware is being developed that supports upto 100 MBytes
RAM. This RAM will be accessible through special software from the Amiga. Upto
now the advantage to have a VD2001 is the fact, that this card is the only one
which has a design that could do these things (somewhen this year...)

As far as I know there are no plans to develop a NTSC-Version...
(Sorry, but we Europeans would also like a Video-Toaster...)

Ottmar
=
AtelierRoehrig, Ottmar Roehrig, Hamburg, Germany
  UUCP: ...!cbmvax!cbmehq!cbmger!ajberl!ottmar

  "Free your mind and your body will follow..."
     (Common sentence at Tekknozid-Parties)