[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] Firecracker 24 and Impulse

drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) (02/07/91)

In Article 239 (8 more) in comp.sys.amiga.graphics:
From: hrlaser@crash.cts.com (Harv Laser)

>In article <1991Feb1.160923.27132@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uok nor.edu (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) writes:
>>
>>On a related subject.  Those unfortunates who purchased the Firecracker 24
>>board from Impulse with the _promise_ of a DPaint-like paint program (I can
>>dig up SEVERAL quotes from them, Mike Halverson included, that guarantee
>>such software) should be aware that their current plan is to release a
>>"stop gap" paint program to fill in until a THIRD PARTY 24 bit paint program
>>is made available.  I feel that this is as close to breach of promise as
>>any example I have seen.  It seems that this is just cause for any of their
>>customers to DEMAND their money back for just that reason.  As I told a local
>>user who showed interest in the SyQuest removable media drive as well:  You
>>could return that $1600 card, buy a Colorburst, and still afford the SyQuest
>>and nearly 8 cartridges for the 24 bit files.  Just some info....
>>
>>Rick Tillery (drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu)
>

>Disclaimer:
>This is a message I've been asked to post here by Mike Halvorson,
>Pres. of Impulse.  I am posting this ONLY because Mike does not have
>capability to post it here himself.  I am not on Mike's payroll.
>What follows the dashed line was written by Mike, not by me.
>
>I'm just the messenger here so don't reply to me on this matter. Thanks.
>--------
>
>To Donald Richard Tillery Jr:
>
>We are sick and tired of the immature and infantile behavior of those who
>know nothing at all about Impulse and its marketing plans.  We have no
>intention of producing a stopgap program.  Light, our 24 bit program, is
>very comprehensive and should be available to our users around the end of
>February.

Thanks for the personal attack.  I believe that constitutes the pot calling
the kettle black.

Mr. Halverson will be contacted to relay the following personally, but I
thought the net might be interested.

The information I related above came from an actual owner of Fircracker who
contacted Impulse herself.  On January 5, the day after my friend bought
the FC, she called them.  She did not get the name of the person she talked
to, but he told her (in reference to Light, the 24 bit paint program) not to
expect much.  He told her that it was mostly "tools to play with" until 3rd
party software became available.

On January 28, In a message from a Bob Monaghan to Don Bruno, reference is
made to Bob's own phone conversation with Impulse.  He said that his business
had called and was disappointed to discover there wouldn't be a paint program
like DPaint released for the FC card.  He quoted the person he talked to as
saying the program they would release was "just something to fill the gap
until 3rd party software comes along."

If this information is false, then it is coming from Mr. Halverson's own
company and employees and it is extremely unfounded for him to attack my
character when I relay what is corroborated information from a very reliable
source.  I think Impulse needs to correct its own internal inconsistencies
before its president proceeds to harass one of its customers (yes I do own
Turbo Silver and Imagine).

It's just too bad that excellent programming ability, quality hardware design
(albeit expensive) does not equate to good manners.

>In a sense of cooperation with other vendors who have made their fortunes
>based upon paint programs, we are making sure that they too have all of the
>necessary programing information to implement many features that they deem
>important to the 24 bit user.  You do all people great harm when you allow
>the equivalent of flapping lips to blabber endlessly about things you are
>ignorant of.
>
>We will stand behind our paint program as nothing less than one of the best
>that will be available for any 24 bit system.  If you believe that you have
>other information, I encourage you to call me at my expense at
>1-800-328-0184.  Until such time as you have direct communications with
>Impulse, we recognize you have a right to your opinion but, as well,

As mentioned above, Mr. Halverson WILL be personally contacted.

>FireCracker owners should not have to listen to your totally false
>commentary.

Also as stated before, the information was given to a FireCracker OWNER and
a dealer.

>What you have said is tantamount to slander.  You will discontinue this
>course of action.

If the above information is incorrect, it is Mr. Halverson's responsibility
to correct it since it came directly from his own company.

>Sincerely,
>
>Mike Halvorson
>President, Impulse, Inc.
>
>P.S. In our experience with the FCC, we have found them to be efficient and
>perfunctory in making sure that products are not held up unless they don't
>meet FCC requirements. We wish the people from M.A.S.T. much success and
>hope that they can get their product to meet the requirements of the FCC.
>Having gone through this process, we would be more than glad to offer our
>gained expertise if they feel in need of assistance.

P.S. The friend of mine who I referred to above is less interested in this
petty squabble and more interested in a usable paint program for her
Firecracker 24.

Rick Tillery (drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu)