[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] Controling Betacam :RS422

Gord_Wait@mindlink.UUCP (Gord Wait) (02/05/91)

RS422 is a balanced line version of RS232. In most cases, you can connect an
RS232 signal directly to RS422, I have seen this work before. I don't have the
RS422 pinout any more, unfortunately. Last time I saw single frame recording on
a betacam, it had a
SMPTE timecode generator reader installed to keep track of the frames (linear
audio track timecode), and the company I worked for caused the deck to do
single frame insert edits on a pre-blacked and timecode striped tape, via the
RS422 port and custom software. SONY supplied us with a document describing all
the RS422 commands. I don't have access to this info any more, the company went
belly up a few years back. (AMPEX also second source the Sony Betacam, so give
em a call too.)
Hope that helps a bit. Gord Wait
SMOS Systems Vancouver

ottmar@ajberl.UUCP (Ottmar Roehrig) (02/07/91)

>In article <4687@mindlink.UUCP> Gord_Wait@mindlink.UUCP (Gord Wait) writes:
>RS422 is a balanced line version of RS232. In most cases, you can connect an
>RS232 signal directly to RS422, I have seen this work before. I don't have the
>RS422 pinout any more, unfortunately. Last time I saw single frame recording on
>a betacam, it had a
>SMPTE timecode generator reader installed to keep track of the frames (linear
>audio track timecode), and the company I worked for caused the deck to do

As far as I know, there are possibilites to read TimeCode directly out of
the 9-pin RS422-Port of a Betacam... I've seen SONY-machines here in Germany
which do this definitly, but I don't know if this is "normal".

Ottmar
=
AtelierRoehrig, Ottmar Roehrig, Hamburg, Germany
  UUCP: ...!cbmvax!cbmehq!cbmger!ajberl!ottmar

  "Free your mind and your body will follow..."
     (Common sentence at Tekknozid-Parties)