[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] DCTV - quick overview

hrlaser@crash.cts.com (Harv Laser) (02/06/91)

I got a DCTV last Friday. This is just a quick overview of my impressions
of it so far... not a full blown review.

DCTV consists of a small black external plastic box about the size of
a small sony walkman with a number of cable inputs and outputs on one
side and a pair of trim pots.  It connects to Amiga's parallel and
RGB ports (parallel port connection not required if you don't plan to
digitize thru DCTV), and then an output cable is run from the DCTV's
composite (NTSC) outport to either the video IN port on the back of
your Amiga (1080/1084) monitor or similar port on your MultiSync type
monitor or optionally to a second NTSC monitor.  The unit can be
easily used with just one Amiga monitor, by using your monitor's front
switch to flip 'tween RGB and NTSC at the appropriate times.  In
most cases the trim pots on the DCTV box (tint adjust and pixel adjust)
will not need to be touched.

The DCTV software comes in two forms depending on how much RAM you have:
either one large (approx 350K program) with all features in it, or two
smaller programs, one the digitize/process program and the other the
paint program.  With 3 MEG or more RAM you can easily use the larger
program.  Two other disks contain example pictures and an animation.
DCTV requires a font in 3 sizes be installed into your FONTS: dir and
the iffparse.library be installed into your LIBS: dir.  An installer
program handles these things swiftly.

The software multitasks just fine. You can leave DCTV running, flip your
monitor back to rGB mode and go about your regular Amiga work.

I've digitized from my Canon rc-250 "Xapshot" still video camera with
excellent results.  I don't own a camcorder and I haven't tried
hooking up my VCR yet.  DCTV is a "slow scan" color digitizer that
requires a constant, frozen signal from a source for 6-10 seconds. Thus
it is not a "framegrabber" and cannot grab a picture from a running
video tape. The tape has to be paused and steady.  A Laserdisc player
with stillframe would be an excellent source too.

If you don't own any video source there are other ways to get imagery
into DCTV.  It'll load in any IFF24 format file which many Amiga programs
can now generate.  You could even use ASDG's TAD or ADPro to convert
downloaded .GIF picture files, save them out as IFF24 and load them
into DCTV with wonderful results. (I've done a bunch of these).
Save VistaPro or Turbo Silver or Imagine out as IFF24. etc. etc.
Or you could use DCTV's amazing Paint program to create your own
imagery fromscratch or modify any imported or digitized image.

The Paint program is really something quite wonderful. It is lacking
a couple of important (to me) features.  No UNDO. (it instead has
a "quick raw save / quick raw load" button pair but UNDO would be
better. No coordinates display. It accesses any fonts but it can't
handle ColorText fonts. (Digital Creations tell me all these lacking
features will be in the next version).

Unlike NewTek's ToasterPaint where you paint on a HAM screen then push
a button and see your picture flow onto a separate NTSC display, in
DCTV Paint you paint DIRECTLy onto the NTSC display in realtime, so
you immediately know what you're getting.  The paint program is VERY
complex and has more buttons and gadgets and tools than I've ever
seen in an Amiga paint program... it will take a while to learn. I'm
still ending up getting unexpected results because I forget exactly
what mode I'm in, but the more I work with the thing, the more respect
I have for it, except for its shortcomings mentioned above.

Some operations such as resizing a brush if that brush is the entire
screen, down to a quarter screen size, can take a minute or two to
complete. However they've nicely implemented almost all the Deluxe Paint
keystrokes that Amiga artists have come to expect in paint programs
('j' to go to the swap screen, etc...).

Unlike pixel painting or HAM pixel painting, painting on an NTSC screen
is much more forgiving of little mistakes. Nonetheless the paint program's
magnify mode is excellent for doing tiny touchups.

Between the paint program and the digitize/process program's controls
(bright, contrast, sharpness, etc. etc.) you'd be hard pressed not to
get the results you're looking for. The wide range of controls and features
in these programs is excellent and if you've enough memory and have loaded
the large version of the software, switching between them (such as
if you are in the paint program and decide you want to increase the
picture's overall brightness in the process program) is seamlessly
achieved. Just press a button and you're now in the other module with
your picture still on the screen.

To summarize, DCTV is a killer piece of work and, for a "1.0" software
release is very solid and full-featured. Two disks full of example
pictures are a good bonus.  For a $499 list price Ithink they could've
tossed in a tutorial videotape to get you started.  The manual (written
by three friends of mine, Bob Eller, Jim Meyer (.info magazine's DTP
columnist) and Dennis "Aloha Fonts" Hayes is not the fattest book
you've ever held in your hands but is well done, logically layed out,
and generally complete. (sorry... "laid out".. (slapping self)).

My local dealer (Creative) sells DCTV for $399. So a hundred buck discount
off list should be common with the mail order discounters. (not an
endorsement for Creative.. just a fact).

Sorry, Europeans and Oz folks... no PAL version yet.

I'll try to field any questions about using DCTV if they're not too
terribly technical :)

We already have quite a few user-made DCTV format pix up on People/Link
for downloading.

Oh one more thing.. the DCTV file format is a 736x482 hi-res picture.
Any standard "show" programcan display them. Without the DCTV connected
though you get a picture that looks something like patterened sandpaper..
rather useless :)

DCTV's software does not currently have any animation features itself
but separate DCTV pictures can be saved out, sequenced together into
an .anim file with any program that can make those (Makeanim, BuildAnim,
Animation Station, Director, Animagic, etc. etc.) played back and viewed
in DCTV (NTSC) mode. So animation is not a problem. A short VistaPro
DCTV animation of Mount St. Helens rotating around is included on one
of the extra disks that come with the package.

n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) (02/06/91)

Thanks for the report on DCTV! A few questions come to mind:
1) 3000 support??

2) I have a Misubishi Diamond scan 800x600 multisync monitor, in VGA
   I have the unavoidable border, am I to assume that the signal that
   is generated by DCTV is a standard, borderless video signal?

3) How many colors does it actually show? I mean, the total pallette
   is 16.7 million right? So honestly, how does it look to a 'true'
   24 bit card such as firecracker, or like a Targa or MacII? Please
   also describe any fuzziness or such encountered due to the NTSC
   instead of RGB output.

4) Are these publicly available in large amounts, or are there like 2
   in existence.

5) Finally, warrenty and upgrade info.

| Duane Fields              |     Friends don't     |  President, aTmiga club |
| Box 1315                  |    let friends use    |  Fone#   (409) 847-6760 |
| College Station, Tx 77841 |        MS-DOS.        |  n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu |

hrlaser@crash.cts.com (Harv Laser) (02/08/91)

In article <11813@helios.TAMU.EDU> n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) writes:
>Thanks for the report on DCTV! A few questions come to mind:
>1) 3000 support??
Should work fine. A number of folks on Plink have DCTV. Louis Markoya
has one and has a 3000 and I *think* that's where he has his hooked up.
I have a 9 Meg A2500/20 and have no problems.

>2) I have a Misubishi Diamond scan 800x600 multisync monitor, in VGA
>   I have the unavoidable border, am I to assume that the signal that
>   is generated by DCTV is a standard, borderless video signal?
I'll have to beg off on this. I have only tried DCTV on my A1080 monitor.

>3) How many colors does it actually show? I mean, the total pallette
>   is 16.7 million right? So honestly, how does it look to a 'true'
>   24 bit card such as firecracker, or like a Targa or MacII? Please
>   also describe any fuzziness or such encountered due to the NTSC
>   instead of RGB output.
DCTV displays NTSC video. Just like television. I have heard NTSC is
capable of from 4-8million colors max. I'm no engineer. It is NOT a
"true 24 bit card" - Impulse's Firecracker is the ONLY "true 24 bit
RGB video display card" you can currently buy for and install in an Amiga.
NTSC, by its very nature, is slightly "fuzzy". Totally depends on the
source material and how you process it. I can make GREAT DCTV pictures
that'll knock your sox off and I can make really crappy looking
pictures (on purpose, or by accident :-)

>4) Are these publicly available in large amounts, or are there like 2
>   in existence.
DCTV is shipping. Quantities. Available to the public. It's not vaporware,
it's not "beta." Creative Computers in Lawndale, CA (again, the Amiga
shop closest to me, and this is not an endorsement for them) must have
a couple dozen DCTVs in their store. Couple dozen VToasters too. (They
buy and sell in huge qty).

>5) Finally, warrenty and upgrade info.

Warranty..hmm.. lemme check der manual.."For a period of ninety (90) days
from the date of delivery, Digital Creations warrants to the original
purchaser that the equipment and software described herein shall be
free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal use and
service."  [later...] "All seals installed during mfr must be intact or
the warranty becomes VOID...DC may elect not to service equipoment
that has had its warranty voided or it may charge a premium rate
to do so...Units damaged by user error with the seals intact will be
charged a standard rate for repair....no loaners will be provided during the
repair period..."

So... install it as instructed and don't open it up. :)

>| Duane Fields              |     Friends don't     |  President, aTmiga club |

Harv Laser                                      {anywhere}!crash!hrlaser
"Park and lock it.  Not responsible."           People/Link: CBM*HARV

hamilton@intersil.uucp (02/09/91)

In article <11813@helios.TAMU.EDU>, n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) writes:
> Thanks for the report on DCTV! A few questions come to mind:
> 1) 3000 support??

Yes, it works fine except that the parallel connector jams up against the
RGB connector so they don't fit together very well.  I hacked off one of the
screw-on-terminals on my parallel cable to add clearance.

> 2) I have a Misubishi Diamond scan 800x600 multisync monitor, in VGA
>    I have the unavoidable border, am I to assume that the signal that
>    is generated by DCTV is a standard, borderless video signal?

DCTV output is standard, NTSC, "borderless" video.  It's output is a
single composite RCA jack, so you'll a monitor that can accept such
a signal, or a composite->RGB converter.

> 3) How many colors does it actually show? I mean, the total pallette
>    is 16.7 million right? So honestly, how does it look to a 'true'
>    24 bit card such as firecracker, or like a Targa or MacII? Please
>    also describe any fuzziness or such encountered due to the NTSC
>    instead of RGB output.

No, it doesn't look anywhere near like a real, digital, 24 bit card.  It
looks like, well, NTSC video.  There are lots of colors, but there are the
same problems you have with color bleeding as you see on a test pattern on
a normal TV.  But this can be reduced substantially by the DCTV software
and some tweaking on the user's part.

> 4) Are these publicly available in large amounts, or are there like 2
>    in existence.

The local store near me has sold maybe 5 out of the 10 units they have.  They
shouldn't be hard to get.

> 5) Finally, warrenty and upgrade info.

90 days.  They say something about more/better software being just around
the corner, and hint at a possible hardware upgrade.  But the software
as-is is pretty good.

Now, a question for Harv or anybody else out there with DCTV:  Lately I've
been getting a lot of noise, as if the scan lines aren't "lined up", when I
try to digitize.  This happens when I use my camcorder or my laser disc
player with a CAV disc (an *extremely* clear, stable source).  The picture
seems to jerk around while it's scanning, and the more it jerks, the more
distorted the output.  The unit I first bought seemed to work better, but
it died (the dealer replaced it right away).  I can't remember if I got any
good scans with the new one or not, but now it's certainly not working very
well.  Any ideas?

What exactly do the TINT and PIXEL controls do/affect?  Maybe that has
something to do with it.

I still like DCTV, I think.  I'll let everyone know if I find out what's
happening.
--
Fred Hamilton                  Any views, comments, or ideas expressed here
Harris Semiconductor           are entirely my own.  Even good ones.

joem@nos850.UUCP (Joe Muller) (02/09/91)

In article <7426@crash.cts.com>, hrlaser@crash.cts.com (Harv Laser) writes:
> .............................  It connects to Amiga's parallel and
> RGB ports (parallel port connection not required if you don't plan to
> digitize thru DCTV), and then an output cable is run from the DCTV's
> composite (NTSC) outport to either the video IN port on the back of
> your Amiga (1080/1084) monitor or similar port on your MultiSync type
> monitor or optionally to a second NTSC monitor.  The unit can be
> easily used with just one Amiga monitor, by using your monitor's front
> switch to flip 'tween RGB and NTSC at the appropriate times.  In
> most cases the trim pots on the DCTV box (tint adjust and pixel adjust)
> will not need to be touched.

  Currently I use a NEC Multisync 3D monitor with my amiga, and, as far as I
know, it has only has one video port.  Does this mean that I cannot hook up
DCTV and my amiga to this monitor simultaneously ?  I also have a Magnavox
PRO 80 RGB (ie Commodore 1084) so I suppose I could use this just for DCTV (?)
however I am currently planning on selling this and keeping the NEC.  Any
way I could use JUST the NEC without having to constanly switch plug and
unplug cables (which is already out of the question : )

 -Joe Muller

 ...uunet!coplex!nos850!joem

hrlaser@crash.cts.com (Harv Laser) (02/10/91)

In article <227@nos850.UUCP> joem@nos850.UUCP (Joe Muller) writes:

>  Currently I use a NEC Multisync 3D monitor with my amiga, and, as far as I
>know, it has only has one video port.  Does this mean that I cannot hook up
>DCTV and my amiga to this monitor simultaneously ?  I also have a Magnavox
>PRO 80 RGB (ie Commodore 1084) so I suppose I could use this just for DCTV (?)
>however I am currently planning on selling this and keeping the NEC.  Any
>way I could use JUST the NEC without having to constanly switch plug and
>unplug cables (which is already out of the question : )
>
> -Joe Muller
>
> ...uunet!coplex!nos850!joem

DCTV outputs NTSC composite color video ONLY. You have to have a monitor
or television set of some kind to accept this input. It's a simple
RCA female connector on the DCTV unit. The 1084 with front switch
flipped to "COMP" works fine. Cheap color teevee? Commodore 1702 C64
monitor for $50 at a garage sale?  You'll have to find SOMETHING if
you want to use DCTV.

In article <221.27b35d6c@intersil.uucp> hamilton@intersil.uucp writes:

>Now, a question for Harv or anybody else out there with DCTV:  Lately I've
>been getting a lot of noise, as if the scan lines aren't "lined up", when I
>try to digitize.  This happens when I use my camcorder or my laser disc
>player with a CAV disc (an *extremely* clear, stable source).  The picture
>seems to jerk around while it's scanning, and the more it jerks, the more
>distorted the output.  The unit I first bought seemed to work better, but
>it died (the dealer replaced it right away).  I can't remember if I got any
>good scans with the new one or not, but now it's certainly not working very
>well.  Any ideas?
>
>What exactly do the TINT and PIXEL controls do/affect?  Maybe that has
>something to do with it.
>
>I still like DCTV, I think.  I'll let everyone know if I find out what's
>happening.
>--
>Fred Hamilton                  Any views, comments, or ideas expressed here
Fred... this may sound strange but due to the way I have my stuff setup
on my computer desk, I have DCTV sitting atop my USR HST modem. When I
digitize from my Xapshot still video camera, if the modem is powered ON
I notice more  degeneration in the digitized results than I do if
the modem is OFF. Since the DCTV is a plastic box (FCC Class B
certified) it could be subject to spurious RF and god knows how much
an entire Amiga system puts out :-) Soooo.. if you hve an external
modem, and you have DCTV stacked on top of it... etc. etc. Other than
that, you might want to give the boys at Digital a ring and discuss it
with 'em.

There is a certain amount of "wiggling" when you invoke the "scan"
button.  Have you messed around with the low/hi quality buttons and
the 3 scanning settings too? Also make sure if you're using a color
camera or camcorder that is NOT a still video camera, that you are
using the "camera" seletion button, not the "tape" button.  This stuff
may be obvious but DCTV's software offers the new owner an almost
overwhelming range of choices to make when digitizing.