[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] Digitizing S-VHS with Digiview

RIDOUT@uservx.afwl.af.mil (02/05/91)

Hi all,
I was thinking yesterday. (I know, watch out!:-)) I would like to get
Digiview eventually and I would like to digitize pictures off of my
vcr.  The vcr is S-VHS and has a very nice pause.  I know that you can
digitize of the screen with a camara.  I also heard that if you use a color
spliter that you could digitize directally.
Question one is, can I take advantage of the S-VHS resolution with a color
spliter?
And question two is,  There is a svideo output on the VCR and the manual
describes this as a seperated Y/C output.  Is there a way to use this as input
to the Digiview with out the need for a color spliter?

As you can tell I am in the very early stages of learning video so any
help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Brian
*  Brian Ridout                  What's the difference between a CAR       *
*  PL/SCEV                       salesman and a COMPUTER salesman?         *
*  Kirtland AFB NM 87117         *                                         *
*  ridout@uservx.afwl.af.mil     The CAR salesman KNOWS when he's lying!   *

ottmar@ajberl.UUCP (Ottmar Roehrig) (02/07/91)

>In article <18792@uservx.afwl.af.mil> RIDOUT@uservx.afwl.af.mil writes:
>Hi all,
>I was thinking yesterday. (I know, watch out!:-)) I would like to get
>Digiview eventually and I would like to digitize pictures off of my
>vcr.  The vcr is S-VHS and has a very nice pause.  I know that you can
>digitize of the screen with a camara.  I also heard that if you use a color
>spliter that you could digitize directally.
>Question one is, can I take advantage of the S-VHS resolution with a color
>spliter?
>And question two is,  There is a svideo output on the VCR and the manual
>describes this as a seperated Y/C output.  Is there a way to use this as input
>to the Digiview with out the need for a color spliter?

Normally yes.. But it isn't a good idea because most of the consumer-vcrs
do only show one frame (and not the whole pictures consiting of one odd and one
even frame) when they're paused.... So you loose half of the vertical resolution.

I know this from PAL-machines, maybe in NTSC it's different..

Ottmar
=
AtelierRoehrig, Ottmar Roehrig, Hamburg, Germany
  UUCP: ...!cbmvax!cbmehq!cbmger!ajberl!ottmar

  "Free your mind and your body will follow..."
     (Common sentence at Tekknozid-Parties)

djh@neuromancer.metaphor.com (Dallas J. Hodgson) (02/08/91)

In article <18792@uservx.afwl.af.mil> RIDOUT@uservx.afwl.af.mil writes:
>Hi all,
>I was thinking yesterday. (I know, watch out!:-)) I would like to get
>Digiview eventually and I would like to digitize pictures off of my
>vcr.  The vcr is S-VHS and has a very nice pause.  I know that you can
>digitize of the screen with a camara.  I also heard that if you use a color
>spliter that you could digitize directally.
>Question one is, can I take advantage of the S-VHS resolution with a color
>spliter?
>And question two is,  There is a svideo output on the VCR and the manual
>describes this as a seperated Y/C output.  Is there a way to use this as input
>to the Digiview with out the need for a color spliter?

I did some DigiView captures with my S-VHS deck when I first got my
DigiView. Pretty poor results, I must say; then again, I wasn't using a
color splitter or sync regenerator. I bet the B/W output of your VCR will
give you better results if (and only if) it's just like B&W composite.

The Panasonic camera that DigiView uses is a 575-line analog vidcon tube B&W
security camera with 2:1 interlace and can generate internal sync. Try and
come as close to this format as possible and you'll do alright.
| Dallas J. Hodgson               |     "This here's the wattle,             |
| Metaphor Computer Systems       |      It's the emblem of our land.        |
| Mountain View, Ca.              |      You can put it in a bottle,         |
| USENET : djh@metaphor.com       |      You can hold it in your hand."      |
+============================================================================+
| "The views I express are my own, and not necessarily those of my employer" |

mel@wjvax.UUCP (Mel Tolentino) (02/12/91)

In article <482@cronos.metaphor.com> djh@neuromancer.metaphor.com (Dallas J. Hodgson) writes:
>In article <18792@uservx.afwl.af.mil> RIDOUT@uservx.afwl.af.mil writes:
>>Hi all,
>>I was thinking yesterday. (I know, watch out!:-)) I would like to get
>>Digiview eventually and I would like to digitize pictures off of my
>>vcr.  The vcr is S-VHS and has a very nice pause.  I know that you can
>>digitize of the screen with a camara.  I also heard that if you use a color
>>spliter that you could digitize directally.
>>Question one is, can I take advantage of the S-VHS resolution with a color
>>spliter?
>>And question two is,  There is a svideo output on the VCR and the manual
>>describes this as a seperated Y/C output.  Is there a way to use this as input
>>to the Digiview with out the need for a color spliter?
>
>I did some DigiView captures with my S-VHS deck when I first got my
>DigiView. Pretty poor results, I must say; then again, I wasn't using a
>color splitter or sync regenerator. I bet the B/W output of your VCR will
>give you better results if (and only if) it's just like B&W composite.
>
>The Panasonic camera that DigiView uses is a 575-line analog vidcon tube B&W
>security camera with 2:1 interlace and can generate internal sync. Try and
>come as close to this format as possible and you'll do alright.

A recent issue of Amazing (Dec or Jan) had an article on using an
electronic color splitter with Digiview. The splitter used had
S-VHS inputs as well as composite.

Another question regarding Digiview. When I digitize in hi-res with my
Microway flickerfixer board installed, I get some horizontal lines of noise
in the upper 1/3 portion of my picture. With the flickerfixer board out,
no noise. Is this a known problem?

                   oo

                   jj
    ww     ww      jj
    ww www ww  jj  jj
     ww   ww    jjjj

     Mel Tolentino  (Watkins-Johnson Co.  San Jose, Calif.)
{{..!{hplabs,ucbvax,sun}!pyramid,..!decwrl!qubix}!wjvax!mel