[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] Colorburst board?

nschultz@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Ned W. Schultz) (02/13/91)

Does anyone have a Colorburst board/device from MAST?  Anyone familiar
with it beyond what is in the ads and brochures?  I'd like to hear
comments about it along the lines of Harv Laser's quick overview of
DCTV.  As I understand it, Colorburst is 24-bit (while DCTV is not),
Colorburst does not caputure (while DCTV does), Colorburst outputs in
RGB (while DCTV does NTSC).  Can anyuone expand on this or discuss the
advantages/disadvantages, particularly in regard to using the device
for making videotapes (static pix or anims)?  Can anyone comment on
the paint software that comes with Colorburst?

Email if you like, but I think it would be interesting to see a discussion
of the various high zoot graphics devices here...

Ned Schultz
nschultz@polyslo.calpoly.edu

Anthon_Pang@mindlink.UUCP (Anthon Pang) (02/13/91)

mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) writes:
> Sounds like MAST marketing hogwash to me. 24bit RGB NTSC at 20 frames per/sec
> is roughly 20MB/sec. I don't think so (or I'll believe it when I see it).
> With a max memory configuration of 8MB, just what are you going to animate
> with only 8 frames? If the ColorBurst lives up to its basic claims, it
> will be a great product for a comfortably low price. But claims of 24bit
> animation seem ridiculous.

Isn't it a fallacy to assume that every frame must reside in memory, in whole?
If they can get 20 frames/sec, surely they can use double buffering, and "blit"
deltas in real time...

The claims aren't so "ridiculous" when one considers that this is almost
precisely the technique used by MovieSetter for "animation".

drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) (02/13/91)

From: nschultz@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Ned W. Schultz)

>Does anyone have a Colorburst board/device from MAST?

I have been told I am the first on the list in America.  MAST said they have
over 1400 orders in Germany (or Europe in general) before me.  I don't have
one yet, so I feel I can safely say no one else does (except the FCC which is
where the thing is as this time).

> Anyone familiar
>with it beyond what is in the ads and brochures?

That's a good question.  I have gotten just a little more info (just details
about what the ads say) from MAST, but independent evaluation and information
is non existent.  I'm taking them at their word, which might not be the most
intelligent thing considering their track record with the Infinity Machine and
the Flick-Off board.

> I'd like to hear
>comments about it along the lines of Harv Laser's quick overview of
>DCTV.  As I understand it, Colorburst is 24-bit (while DCTV is not),

True.

>Colorburst does not caputure (while DCTV does),

True.  MAST says it will work directly with some digitizers but I got no more
details.

> Colorburst outputs in
>RGB (while DCTV does NTSC).

It is my understanding that NTSC refers to the scan rate, not the format of a
video signal.  Both DCTV and ColorBurst output NTSC, therefore, but CB is RGB
and DCTV is composite.  A simple A520 will convert the CB output to composite
for video taping.  It reportedly has the same 23 pin out as the Amiga so it
will remain compatible with the 1080/4, A520 and external genlocks.

> Can anyuone expand on this or discuss the
>advantages/disadvantages, particularly in regard to using the device
>for making videotapes (static pix or anims)?

Anims appear to be most reasonably available in 12 bit format.  24 bit anims
may be possible, but expansion memory will be a must to accomplish this (the
CB comes with 1.5 Megs and is expandable to 8 Megs).  Other than this the only
other way to animate is similar to the Toaster:  a single frame recorder (and
a RGB->composite converter).

> Can anyone comment on
>the paint software that comes with Colorburst?

Not yet, but expect a full report as soon as I get my ColorBurst. :-)

Rick Tillery (drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu)

gt4662b@prism.gatech.EDU (BRANHAM,JOSEPH FRANKLIN) (02/14/91)

I saw a spec sheet on colorburst, and based on my memory of it have some idea
about what they are doing.

What I can remember:
1) The device has 1 Meg of memory on board.
2) It is a TRUE 24-bit framebuffer that only plugs into the RGB port and spits
out NTSC RGB.
3) It can animate 24-bit frames at up to 20 frames/second, and 256-color anims
at 60 frames/second.
4) It has also a command set for letting you control your own 24-bit sprites
and has its own sprite chip.

#3 makes me ponder a bit. Here's my reasoning-help me see what may be wrong
with it.

Assume that we can get 60 frames/sec output from a very fast Amiga. As DCTV and
HAM-E have shown, it is possible to decode this data in such a way as to
get 60 frames/sec animation through the device.

Now, if we point out that a 24-bit image has 3x the amount of data as the
256-color image (minus any palette information), and we noticethat the 24-bit
frame rate is 1/3 that of the 256-color mode, we may think that.

The colorburst buffers three frames from the amiga and uses the data from them
to construct a single 24-bit frame. I don't remember anywhere in the spec
sheet a claim that 24-bit mode would work with current show programs, so this
may actually be the case.

Of course, this is speculation. Comments? Flames?
--
<------------------------------------------------------------------------------>
<  FRANK BRANHAM                      | "I exist; therefore I am."             >

mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (02/14/91)

In article <21934@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt4662b@prism.gatech.EDU (BRANHAM,JOSEPH FRANKLIN) writes:
>I saw a spec sheet on colorburst, and based on my memory of it have some idea
>about what they are doing.
>1) The device has 1 Meg of memory on board.
>2) It is a TRUE 24-bit framebuffer that only plugs into the RGB port and spits
>out NTSC RGB.
>3) It can animate 24-bit frames at up to 20 frames/second, and 256-color anims
>at 60 frames/second.

Sounds like MAST marketing hogwash to me. 24bit RGB NTSC at 20 frames per/sec
is roughly 20MB/sec. I don't think so (or I'll believe it when I see it).
With a max memory configuration of 8MB, just what are you going to animate
with only 8 frames? If the ColorBurst lives up to its basic claims, it
will be a great product for a comfortably low price. But claims of 24bit
animation seem ridiculous.
%~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~%
%       `       '                Mark Thompson                          %
%  --==* RADIANT *==--           mark@westford.ccur.com                 %
%       ' Image `                ...!{decvax,uunet}!masscomp!mark       %
%      Productions               (508)392-2480  (603)424-1829           %

andyg@crash.cts.com (Andy Guevara) (02/15/91)

The San Diego Amiga User's Group had a Colorburst demo last week. I'm kinda
week on the technical details (most were over my head), but I do remember
the developer estimating shipment in the next four to eight weeks. Depending
on agency approvals and the like.

--
"If you are pregnant or nursing,      |    -= Andy Guevara =-
please seek the advice of a doctor    |  {anywhere}!crash!andyg