[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] DCTV inconvienience warning

hamilton@intersil.uucp (02/19/91)

Well, I finally figured out what was causing the noise my DCTV digitizations:
the parallel port switcher I added to allow access to DCTV _and_ my printer.
The manual itself recommends getting a port switcher if you feel that swapping
connectors on the back of your Amiga every time you need to go between your
DCTV and your printer is inconvienient (and who wouldn't find it
inconvienient?).

I called Digital Creations for assistance, and the slightly rude, somewhat
condescending technical guy caught the problem right away:
DC:  Are you using a parallel port switcher?

FH:  Yes.

DC:  Get rid of it.  This isn't Digiview, this is high speed stuff.  You can't
     add the switch and cable and not expect to get noise.
Moral:  If you get DCTV be prepared to manually switch your parallel port every
time you want to digitize something.  Despite what the DCTV manual says.

(I'm tired of every audio and video digitizer manufacturer feeling that they
OWN the parallel port!)
--
Fred Hamilton
Harris Semiconductor

drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) (02/21/91)

In the February 1991 (Vol 6 No 2) Amazing Computing magazine there is a great
article on a hardware addition for Amy that adds 2 serial and 2 parallel ports
and can be further expanded to 4 of each.  I would suggest looking into this
for those of you who get/have DCTV, DigiView, an audio digitizer, and EPROM
burner, ParNet, etc. as a way of also using your printer.  This only works on
the 2x00, 1000, and 500s but not the 3000.  Sorry.

Rick Tillery (drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu)

scot@amigash.UUCP (Scot L. Harris) (02/22/91)

>In article <234.27c0def8@intersil.uucp> hamilton@intersil.uucp writes:
>Moral:  If you get DCTV be prepared to manually switch your parallel port every
>time you want to digitize something.  Despite what the DCTV manual says.
>
>(I'm tired of every audio and video digitizer manufacturer feeling that they
>OWN the parallel port!)
>--
>Fred Hamilton

This one has amazed me a little, why has no third party come out with a
decent parallel ports board for the Amiga?  There are severl good serial
ports boards but no good parallel ports boards.

--
          _
    ///  /_\      Scot L. Harris ...!tarpit!bilver!amigash!scot