[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] Imagine Surface definitions

Dennis_Grant%CMR001.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca (02/15/91)

     Does anybody have a list of values of Imagine face Attributes to
simulate various materials? Such as:
     a) Glass
     b) Water
     c) Gold
     d) Chrome
     e) Steel
     f) Wood (yes, I know there is a Wood texture, but I can't get good
              results)
     g) Anything else you may have figured out.

I've been trying to get clear glass for the last couple of days. No luck.
And as it takes 2 hours per picture... you can understand my problem.

  Dennis Grant   3rd year CS student at Le College Militaire Royal de St-Jean
  DETUD595@CMR001.BITNET
  How much do I love thee? My accumulator overflows!

hrlaser@crash.cts.com (Harv Laser) (02/16/91)

In article <44649@nigel.ee.udel.edu> Dennis_Grant%CMR001.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca writes:

>     Does anybody have a list of values of Imagine face Attributes to
>simulate various materials? Such as:
>     a) Glass
>     b) Water
>     c) Gold
>     d) Chrome
>     e) Steel
>     f) Wood (yes, I know there is a Wood texture, but I can't get good
>              results)
>     g) Anything else you may have figured out.
>
>I've been trying to get clear glass for the last couple of days. No luck.
>And as it takes 2 hours per picture... you can understand my problem.

>  Dennis Grant   3rd year CS student at Le College Militaire Royal de St-Jean
>  DETUD595@CMR001.BITNET
>  How much do I love thee? My accumulator overflows!

Louis Markoya is now self-marketing a disk he created called
"Surface Master" for Imagine owners. It has attributes all set up for
everything you named above and a lot more... you can just load in
your favorite objects, load in the attribute you want from the
Surface Master disk and apply it to your object and render yourself
silly.  Look for a blurb on Surface Master (which is NOT freely
redistributable) in the next Impulse newsletter which should be sent
to all registered Imagine owners.

In the meantime you might want to dig around for a freely redistributable
suite of files which goes under the name of "Refractive Index REference"
for Turbo Silver, which was created about 2 years ago by David Milligan.
This large-ish file contains objects, pictures, and settings of
real-world materials (glass, water, various gases & crystals, etc.)
whose settings can be applied to your objects. An excellent piece of
work by David.

If you want to contact either of these guys you can do so via People/Link:
Louis Markoya = L.MARKOYA
David Milligan = DMIL

Dave's RIR is available for downloading from Plink too, as is a text
blurb and screenshot of Lou's Surface Master disk. Neither of these
guys is connected to usenet as far as I know.

Have fun.

Harv Laser                                      {anywhere}!crash!hrlaser
"Park and lock it.  Not responsible."           People/Link: CBM*HARV

zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) (02/24/91)

	Does anyone know how to simulate glass using the Video Toaster's
3D Lightwave module?  I am rather new to the program. . .

--
zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM

mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (02/25/91)

In article <1991Feb24.023354.18018@ddsw1.MCS.COM> zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) writes:

>	Does anyone know how to simulate glass using the Video Toaster's
>3D Lightwave module?

No problem. For a colorless clear glass, try somethingh like this:

Color: 230, 230, 240 (only a slight blue tint)
Diffuse: 70%
Specular: 100%
Highlight Size: High
Color Highlight: Off
Transparency: 95%
Reflectivity: 30% (optional if you have an image or background to reflect)
Edges: Opaque
Smoothing: On

By making the surface nearly completely transparent but making the edges
opaque, it gives the appearance of a glass object rather than an object
that is just fading out. Also note that when creating glass objects, you
must pay attention to interior polygons that might otherwise not be
rendered because of back-face culling. For example, if you create a glass
sphere, you must create it with 2 sided polygons so that the back of the
sphere is visible through the transparent front.

Hope this helps.
%       `       '                Mark Thompson                          %
%  --==* RADIANT *==--           mark@westford.ccur.com                 %
%       ' Image `                ...!{decvax,uunet}!masscomp!mark       %
%      Productions               (508)392-2480  (603)424-1829           %