[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] FONTS

pilgrim@daimi.aau.dk (Jakob G}rdsted) (01/22/91)

I have a problem. I turn on overscan and interlace on my workbench, giving me
lots of room for windows. Forget about the flicker. But the font topaz 8
is no good for interlace. So, I want a higher font. Well, I put a
SetFont Topaz 11 in my startupsequence, and that works allright. But I want
an even higher font, say 16 pixels high. And this font must be fixedwidth.
   So, I load the trusty program Fed in, which came with my amiga supplied
on the Extras disk. But all my efforts are in vain - when I begin to edit
a font, and then save it, it is scrambled. If I load it again, or use it
in DeluxePaint, or sets it with setfont, all I get is all mixed up graphics.
Hardly any of the graphic elements in the font remains visible, and the
width of the characters seems to be random.
   I have tried in many ways, both starting from scratch, starting with a
prop. font and with a fixed one, and with one whose height is already 16.
But it won't work.
   So, what am I doing wrong ?

and  Is there any public domain, fixed width, high and thin fonts, or what ?

Thanks (?)

In article <1991Jan22.042316.5834@daimi.aau.dk> pilgrim@daimi.aau.dk (Jakob G}rdsted) writes:
>I have a problem. I turn on overscan and interlace on my workbench, giving me
>lots of room for windows. Forget about the flicker. But the font topaz 8
>is no good for interlace. So, I want a higher font. Well, I put a
>SetFont Topaz 11 in my startupsequence, and that works allright. But I want
>an even higher font, say 16 pixels high. And this font must be fixedwidth.
>   So, I load the trusty program Fed in, which came with my amiga supplied
>on the Extras disk. But all my efforts are in vain - when I begin to edit
>a font, and then save it, it is scrambled. If I load it again, or use it
>in DeluxePaint, or sets it with setfont, all I get is all mixed up graphics.
>Hardly any of the graphic elements in the font remains visible, and the
>width of the characters seems to be random.

In my experience I get very good results with Fed. But if you create
an additional size for an else existing font, then you should run
FixFonts from your System drawer before using it. This helped me in
some circumstances where some fonts wouldn't work at all. (I haven't
experienced garbage like you described.)

As far as I remember there are fonts on some Fish disk which are double
height, thought for use in interlace only. The advantage to a bigger
normal font is that these letters have the same width as in non-inter-
lace, but appropriate height for interlace.

ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) (03/01/91)

>In article <5292@vela.acs.oakland.edu> hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Moriland) writes:
>
>	Does anyone know of any FTP sites with large collection of
>Bitmapped Fonts for the Amiga? I want to expand my library, but can't
>seem to locate any.
>
>				---Moriland

There is a program on a fish disk called TEXF that converts TeX
fonts (many are freely available at ftp sites) to Amiga fonts. You might
want to look into that, considering how many TeX fonts there are out
there.

--
ben@epmooch.UUCP            ben%servalan.UUCP@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu
{chinet,uokmax}!servalan!epmooch!ben                 (Ben Mesander)

hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Moriland) (03/02/91)

	Does anyone know of any FTP sites with large collection of
Bitmapped Fonts for the Amiga? I want to expand my library, but can't
seem to locate any.

				---Moriland

--
| hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu |    __                                |
|                               | __/// Viva Amiga!                    |
| Founder Of: Evil Young        | \XX/                                 |
| Mutants For A Better Tomorrow |       "Single Tasking: JUST SAY NO!" |

mlb17270@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Matthew Lee Brown) (03/03/91)

>>In article <5292@vela.acs.oakland.edu> hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Moriland) writes:
>>
>>	Does anyone know of any FTP sites with large collection of
>>Bitmapped Fonts for the Amiga? I want to expand my library, but can't
>>seem to locate any.
>>
>>				---Moriland

     What proved to be mose useful for me was a program (on a fish disk I
believe) which converted Apple Macintosh :-( fonts to Amiga :-) format.  I
managed to get dozens a good clean presentation fonts this way.

           Hope this helps,
           Matt

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury) (03/04/91)

mlb17270@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Matthew Lee Brown) writes:

> >>In article <5292@vela.acs.oakland.edu> hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Moril
> >>
> >>	Does anyone know of any FTP sites with large collection of
> >>Bitmapped Fonts for the Amiga? I want to expand my library, but can't
> >>seem to locate any.
> >>
> >>				---Moriland
>
>      What proved to be mose useful for me was a program (on a fish disk I
> believe) which converted Apple Macintosh :-( fonts to Amiga :-) format.  I
> managed to get dozens a good clean presentation fonts this way.
>
>            Hope this helps,
>            Matt

What would help more would be the number of the Fish disk and name of
the converter! <grin>  Does anyone know what this program is called
and if it's located at ab20 for FTP?  I've been looking for this
program for a while now.

-- Bob

 The Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"
  InterNet: bobl@graphics.rent.com                | Raven Enterprises
      UUCP: ...rutgers!bobsbox!graphics!bobl      | 25 Raven Avenue
    BitNet: bobl%graphics.rent.com@pucc           | Piscataway, NJ 08854
    Home #: 908/560-7353                          | 908/271-8878