[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] Workbench 2.0 Display utility

ewilts@janus.mtroyal.ab.ca (Ed Wilts) (03/05/91)

Although I generally pleased with the overall appearance and performance of
WorkBench 2.0, I am somewhat disappointed by Commodore's Display utility.
It appears that Mostra easily outperforms Display in the time it takes to view
a typical IFF file; on average I would say that Display is about 5 times slower
than Mostra on my 2 MB 3000-16 under 2.0 (36.207/36.69).

I would appreciate any comments on Display's usefulness.  Is Mostra faster
because it is short-cutting something?  Is it simply using a better algorithm?

[To prevent the usual barrage of questions about Mostra, it can be found on
Fish 330]

        .../Ed     Preferrred:  Ed.Wilts@BSC.Galaxy.BCSystems.Gov.BC.CA
Ed Wilts            Alternate:  EdWilts@BCSC02.BITNET    (604) 389-3430
B.C. Systems Corp., 4000 Seymour Place, Victoria, B.C., Canada, V8X 4S8

231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) (03/06/91)

In article <1991Mar4.165108.6571@janus.mtroyal.ab.ca> ewilts@janus.mtroyal.ab.ca (Ed Wilts) writes:
>Although I generally pleased with the overall appearance and performance of
>WorkBench 2.0, I am somewhat disappointed by Commodore's Display utility.
>It appears that Mostra easily outperforms Display in the time it takes to view
>a typical IFF file; on average I would say that Display is about 5 times slower
>than Mostra on my 2 MB 3000-16 under 2.0 (36.207/36.69).
>
>I would appreciate any comments on Display's usefulness.  Is Mostra faster
>because it is short-cutting something?  Is it simply using a better algorithm?
>
>[To prevent the usual barrage of questions about Mostra, it can be found on
>Fish 330]
>
>        .../Ed     Preferrred:  Ed.Wilts@BSC.Galaxy.BCSystems.Gov.BC.CA
>Ed Wilts            Alternate:  EdWilts@BCSC02.BITNET    (604) 389-3430
>B.C. Systems Corp., 4000 Seymour Place, Victoria, B.C., Canada, V8X 4S8

Just because it's from Commodore DOESN'T mean it's the best!  Commodore
supplied Display for the Amiga users without a modem or without
a users group.

We modemers on the otherhand can find all sorts of neat and BETTER
alternatives over the network! :-)

Take for instance Commodore LIST and DIR.  They suck big time (with hardly
any power whatsoever).  We modemers can replace LIST with Newlist47 or
ls-jr for REAL POWER!!!

Phil Dietz

---
 University of Nebraska          Phil Dietz                  //
 Computer Science          231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu       \\// out the
                           235b4271@fergvax.unl.edu        \/  Amiga!

drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) (03/06/91)

For viewing IFF files, might I humble suggest SuperView?  This about 10K
program is entirely assembly, and will show all types of IFF files (including
Anim 5 animations).  It is by far the fastest and most efficient viewing
program I've used.  The newest version will show SHAM and includes a script
to show dynamic images when encountered.  The president of our local users
group is the author, but the fact that it has appeared in almost all of the
Amiga mags and is now in Fred Fish's collection (367) at least gives my
conviction a little credit.  It was also used in ASDG's products (including
TAD) WITHOUT PERMISSION, but that means at least ASDG liked it :-)

Rick Tillery (drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu)