[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] What is Dynamic HiRes ??

usatoday@daimi.aau.dk (Peter Dalsgaard) (03/09/91)

Hi there. Can anyone out there tell me difference of
Sliced HAM and Dynamic HiRes, other than SHAM can't use HiRes.

jms@vanth.UUCP (Jim Shaffer) (03/11/91)

In article <1991Mar9.154602.10536@daimi.aau.dk> usatoday@daimi.aau.dk (Peter Dalsgaard) writes:
>Hi there. Can anyone out there tell me difference of
>Sliced HAM and Dynamic HiRes, other than SHAM can't use HiRes.

Well, you basically answered that yourself...

SHAM (and DHAM) are HAM screens with different palettes for different scan
lines.	Dynamic HiRes is a HiRes screen with different palettes for
different scan lines.

--
*  From the disk of:  | jms@vanth.uucp		     | "There's UFOs over New
Jim Shaffer, Jr.      | amix.commodore.com!vanth!jms | York, and I ain't too

reher@ucunix.san.uc.edu (Jay R. Reher) (03/11/91)

In article <1991Mar9.154602.10536@daimi.aau.dk> usatoday@daimi.aau.dk (Peter Dalsgaard) writes:
>Hi there. Can anyone out there tell me difference of
>Sliced HAM and Dynamic HiRes, other than SHAM can't use HiRes.

	Dynamic Ham does use Hi-Res and Interlace mode. It allows you to go
640 x 400 with 4096 colors, nothing else lets you get that resolution with
so many colors. It works the same way sliced-ham does.. cycling though a color
palette. The other main difference is the file format.

	Does anyone know the dynamic-ham file format ????

						Jay Reher

harlock@netcom.COM (Mike Harlock) (03/12/91)

In article <1991Mar11.152144.24040@ucunix.san.uc.edu>, reher@ucunix.san.uc.edu (Jay R. Reher) writes:

> In article <1991Mar9.154602.10536@daimi.aau.dk> usatoday@daimi.aau.dk (Peter Dalsgaard) writes:
> >Hi there. Can anyone out there tell me difference of
> >Sliced HAM and Dynamic HiRes, other than SHAM can't use HiRes.
>
> 	Dynamic Ham does use Hi-Res and Interlace mode. It allows you to go
> 640 x 400 with 4096 colors, nothing else lets you get that resolution with
> so many colors. It works the same way sliced-ham does.. cycling though a color
> palette. The other main difference is the file format.
>
> 	Does anyone know the dynamic-ham file format ????
>
> 						Jay Reher

According to the manual that comes with Digi-View 4.0, Dynamic HiRes is
essentially 21-bit color.   I have noticed myself that it is extremely
unmanipulatable and unusable unless you are just displaying a picture.
    The best still picture I have seen on an Amiga yet, however, is a Dynamic
Hires pic, entitled "thelook" which is featured in one of NewTek's demos.  It
is a close up of a man
's face, in interlace mode, with almost no flicker whatsoever.  (If you turn
up the brightness on your monitor and look closly, his eyebrow flickers
slightly.)

| harlock@netcom.com or netcom!harlock@apple.com or claris!netcom!harlock    |
|____________________________________________________________________________|
|  Spam makes the world go round.            | If opposites didn't attract,  |
|  You owe the oracle your virginity.        | we'd all be homosexuals.      |
|____________________________________________|_______________________________|

drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) (03/14/91)

Actually SHAM and Dynamic HAM are different.  SHAM uses the copper to change
the palette on every other interlaced line or every non-interlaced line.
Dynamic HAM also uses the processor along with the copper to change the
palette on every interlaced scan line.  This means that SHAM can multi-task
and cannot go very far into the overscan area, while Dynamic HAM cannot
multi-task (the software has built in disk check to compensate for the
forbid() call) and can extend much more into the overscan areas.  Dynamic
Hi-Res is the hi-res version of Dynamic HAM and cannot multi-task either.

Rick Tillery (drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu)